Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Additional RAM problem

• Please log in to reply

ewiginton

ewiginton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I apologize about that. I talked to a guy up there at the beginning of this week. They have been closed for a while I guess due to snow up there. Anyways, he was friendly & advised me to send them back which I did. He insisted that the problem was the type of manufacturer of the RAM was not compatible with the computer. He said he would send me some new RAM for free that would work with it.... So, we will see. I will update you on it whenever I install it.

Thanks

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is great to hear and that he knew the issue. We now know we were on the right track with the resolution.
Please let me know when you get the new ram and how it works for you.
I will continue to monitor your topic for your results.
Good luck and congratulations for the great service you are getting from the vendor. :D

ewiginton

ewiginton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Got new RAM & tried it out. Installed both in the 2 extra slots but monitor would not come on. I took one of them out & left the other one in the slot closest to the front of the hard drive. Success! RAM is not bad neither is the slot but don't understand why only one works with it. I tried taking out one of the factory RAM & installed the new one in that slot but still didn't work. My computer is able to handle over 3.5 GB of RAM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Just a thought but is there 4 ram slots and are they color coded?

ewiginton

ewiginton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Yes, there are four & 2 are yellow & 2 are black. And they go black, yellow, black, yellow starting from the front of the hard drive to the back. The black ones are the extra slots & the yellow is the ones the factory RAM are sitting on. The first black one is the one that works for the extra RAM

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Take the factory ram out and install the new ram in the exact same spots. Does it work then and BTW what OS are you using and is it a 32 or 64 version?

ewiginton

ewiginton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
It is a 32 bit. One of the extras work already in the first extra slot & I tried both extra RAM in the same spot to make sure they work & they both do. I tried taking out one of the factory RAM & inserting the extra in the same spot. Monitor still not coming on. At least I got one of the extras working though.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK understand that a 32 bit OS will only see and utilize 3.5 gigs of memory on a good day.
If you want to use the full potential of the mobo you would need to switch to a 64 bit OS.
The issue though is not the amount of ram but the fact with the second module in the system will not boot correct?

ewiginton

ewiginton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
That's right. Seems like 2 will not work installed, regardless if you have both factory modules taken out & only having the (2) 1 GB modules put in or having all 4 in it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That sounds like the 2nd slot may be faulty then.

Advertisements

ewiginton

ewiginton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Finally got both of them to work last night! I pulled one of the factory 512mb out in the last slot & installed the other 1GB in it. It started to work. Just glad to get that one to work as well. Thanks for all your help man! Maybe this will help someone else that has the same problem. :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes thank you for the update and the resolution that worked. Please let us know in a couple of days how everything is working.
Congratulations ewington. :D for a successful resolution for your issue.

I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed us to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :D :D
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible