Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Slowness everywhere

• Please log in to reply

anthom

anthom

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
I'm running XP Pro, SP3 on a Dell Inspiron 530.
2.2 ghz Core 2 Duo
3 gb RAM

This machine has been acting really slow for a while now, and I'm determined to find out what's causing it. G2G has been an incredible help in the past with malware issues, so I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me figure this out.

Today, for example, it took almost 8 minutes total boot time - 2 minutes from BIOS screen to XP logo, and another 5:40 from XP logo to desktop/taskbar fully rendered). On occasion, it will take 5-10 seconds after right-clicking before a context menu appears, and often browsing (even with only 1 tab open) will temporarily "freeze" the machine.

I have run sfc /scannow (didn't find anything that needed to be replaced) and chkdsk /r (no bad sectors, cleaned up minor inconsistencies).

Any thoughts what I should do next?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.

Download and install Free Everest Home Edition
Open it.
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.
Click the + by computer, click on Sensor. Get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and voltages...

DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"

anthom

anthom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
OK, I've attached the logs and a screenshot from the "sensors" page. Thanks for looking into this!

Attached Thumbnails

• sensors.png

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok before I deal with the Autoruns I see some things we may need to fix first.
Go to

Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixes the problem

anthom

anthom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Would the results of chkdsk /r change drastically within 24 hours? I just ran it last night with the following result:

Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Cleaning up minor inconsistencies on the drive.
Cleaning up 755 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 755 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 755 unused security descriptors.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
Usn Journal verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
File data verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
Free space verification is complete.
CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap.
Windows has made corrections to the file system.

485179064 KB total disk space.
394614392 KB in 170166 files.
80928 KB in 32043 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
373704 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
90110040 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
121294766 total allocation units on disk.
22527510 allocation units available on disk.

If I still need to run it, no problem - just wanted to be sure.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope looks good and good job running it.
Try the following and let me know how everything is working after you are done.

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Background info courtesy of DonnaB Thank you

As for TFC, this is a tidbit of an article I found a while back by a MicroSoft MVP.

TFC (Temp File Cleaner) will clear out all temp folders for all user accounts (temp, IE temp, java, FF, Opera, Chrome, Safari), including Administrator, All Users, LocalService, NetworkService, and any other accounts in the user folder. It also cleans out the %systemroot%\temp folder and checks for .tmp files in the %systemdrive% root folder, %systemroot%, and the system32 folder (both 32bit and 64bit on 64bit OSs). It shows the amount removed for each location found (in bytes) and the total removed (in MB).

Before running, it will stop Explorer and all other running applications. When finished, if a reboot is required the user must reboot to finish clearing any in-use temp files.
-- TFC only cleans temp folders.
-- TFC will not clean URL history, prefetch, or cookies. Depending on how often someone cleans their temp folders, their system hardware, and how many accounts are present, it can take anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or more. TFC will completely clear all temp files where other temp file cleaners may fail.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged
Please do not run any other Auslogics programs other then this one as they may cause unwanted results.
http://auslogics.com...defrag/download

anthom

anthom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Ok - ran TFC and it got rid of about 1.7 gb of files. I'm about to set Auslogics to defrag overnight. It took 25 seconds to fully load after double-clicking the icon.

Do I need to post anything once it's done?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Firstly - to put your mind at rest the Moderator rhsaffer61 is aware of my contribtion to this thread. He will still monitor the situation but has asked me to assist rather than you wait - while he is busy with many others.

When you have run the TFC and the defrag
Your autoruns shows that you are running Comodo Total Internet Security, including Sandboxing and Microsoft Security Essentials. You cannot run the two together - in real time.
They will result in serious slow down, fight each other and possibly negate each other so you actually end up with less protection, or indeed none.

You need to decide which you are keeping. - as the two running are I am sure the major cause of the slow down - how long have you had both please
Personally I would opt for Microsoft Security Essentials, it uses less resources than most others, it is unobtrusive, frequently updated of course and workds in total conjucntion with Micorosft Malicious software removal tools.
See this
http://www.geekstogo...yware-software/

If you feel you need the additional protection of a Firewall other then that included in XP, then you can run the free Comodo Firewall. If you go that way, make sure you install ONLY the firewall.

You also have running on Task Scheduler Spybot Search and destroy - which I would recommend you uninstall and use SAS which you also have.

In relation to your browsing we recommend this which you can run, once a week or so, depending on the intensity of your browsing.
http://www.atribune....id=25&Itemid=25
Note it caters for IE on the Main tab and Firefox and Opera.
If you use IE do not click the prefetch, as XP will simply rebuild it and until it does so.
Also be aware that it will delete saved passwords from websites - ie: your email etc, so make sure you know them.
It uses no resources and you can run it as you need.
It is more efficient than the IE - Delete browsing history

Additionally always keep an eye on Add-ons on IE you have quite a few on the Autoruns report
I am certain you can get rid of many.
Go to IE and click the tools, then click Manage Add-ons
You will then have as per my screenshot
On each heading in the left hand pane ie;
Toolbars and extensions
Search Providers
Accelerators
Click the entry in the main window and then click disable.
You can safely disable - all Update Notifiers
Helper onjects etc
AND certainly your Last Pass helper and your Google Toolbar Helper. - when you disbale the google one check the details on the popup window that asks if you wish to disable other google services..
You can always go back of course and re-enable whatever you wish
The more you have there, the longer it takes IE to load.

FINALLY you have a number of items which can be disabled on start-up.
The more that is included in the startup list the longer XP takes to load.
We can look at that when you post back after the defrag and my recommendations here.
Additionally there are a number of entries in Autoruns indicating file not found - and we can deal with that as well.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 22 March 2011 - 08:42 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Also Auslogics Defrag won't take but a few minutes to run to be honest. I would be surprised if it took 20 minutes to complete. :D

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
In respect of your post 7 which has just come in while I was typing - NO there is no need to post any details from the defrag, UNLESS it reports that the drive is still fragmented by more than 8% or so. With heavy fragmentation it may not reach Zero on first run.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 22 March 2011 - 08:27 PM.

Advertisements

anthom

anthom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
OK, the defrag ran for about 50 minutes last night (which is better than the 5 hours it took the last time I used it about a month ago...)

I'm uninstalling Comodo. I started using it (for just the firewall) and MSE around the same time, but didn't notice this degree of slowness until a few months back. I'm wondering if one of the frequent upgrades snuck in all the other stuff like sandboxing. Should the built-in XP firewall be sufficient?

anthom

anthom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Finally got Comodo uninstalled, and removed the BHO's, etc. from IE. After reboot, it's a little better - 3:25 from windows logo to a semi-usable state), but I still wouldn't call it "good." What's next?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
To answer post 11 - re Firewall

If you feel you need the additional protection of a Firewall other then that included in XP, then you can run the free Comodo Firewall. If you go that way, make sure you install ONLY the firewall.

It is a question really of what is the nature of your browsing.
The Comodo firewall will offer more protection than the Windows Firewall, at least that is the general opinion.
I use the Windows one, but if I have any doubt whatsoever I always check the Website reputation - I have Web of Trust installed and before downloading or opening I right click and scan with MBAM.
Quite a few people forget the ability to right click and scan individual items.
Comodo will not slow your system load trime but you will notice a slight delay while it checks browsing.
If you visit unknown websites here is the Web of Trust download
http://www.mywot.com/en/download

Edited by Macboatmaster, 23 March 2011 - 06:37 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Just to add here if you don't mind.

Download and install Free Everest Home Edition
Open it.
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.
Click the + by computer, click on Sensor. Get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and voltages...

DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"

anthom

anthom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
I won't have access to the PC until later this evening - I'll post the today's log and screenshot from Everest as soon as I get home. Thanks again for your help so far!