Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Slowness everywhere

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem I will check later for your logs.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Regarding autoruns.
You have one entry for file not found that is on the 11th line of the log.
VERY RARELY autoruns is wrong and the registry entry is needed, although autoruns did not find the file.
Rather than delete it, which is either right click and delete or click to highlight and then click the entry tab and delete you can simply uncheck the box to disable it - that of course is when running autoruns, not on the log.
If there are no adverse effects after a week or so then you can safely delete it.
It is however NOT that important as you only have the ONE entry file not found.
NB - I now see that the moderator covered this aspect on his post re autoruns - you may safely delete it

What is important is that you have this software running
http://www.r2.com.au...delay/page/news
It is called r2 studios Startup delayer

Startup Delayer
Startup Optimization
It is NOT of course meant to delay startup. It is meant to optimize your startup.
In my opinion it is UNWANTED, unnecessary and possibly does exactly what it says - rather than what is meant to do
My recommendation is to uninstall it.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 23 March 2011 - 07:37 AM.

anthom

anthom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
If I recall, there was one "file not found" in Autoruns that it wouldn't let me delete - the "About: Home" entry. Is that the one you're referring to?

Will add "uninstall Startup Delayer" to my things to do when I get home this evening...

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
It is - 11th entry down from the top.
I do not consider it that important so leave it for the time being.
I will post again re startup items later,

anthom

anthom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
OK, here's the latest Everest info.

Attached Thumbnails

• sensors.png

Attached Files

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I have now completed my examination of your autoruns.

1. BHO Google gears
Some sites may be slower when you activate Gears due to the syncing of your online and offline data. Once syncing is complete, the site should return to its normal speed.
I suggest you disable it in IE Manage add-ons.
http://gears.google....en&answer=79873
I doubtthat you need it.

2.BHO Google toolbar Helper
You can safely disable it.

3. BHO Google Toolbar notifier
I suggest you disable it.
As I said previously, the more you have in the BHO`s the longer IE takes to load and sometimes when loaded actual browsing can be slower

4. BHO Java plug-in Helper
The same - you can safely disable it.

5. Leave the Java quick starter if you use Java a lot for opening files etc on the web
If not disable it. Java will still be found on the system when needed.

6.BHO Last Pass
You should not have it, as I think you have already uinstalled the toolbar from my previoyus post.

I cannot see anything else of note in the log.

Please would you type "msconfig" in Run and click the startup tab.
Please confirm for me the startup items checked.
Screenshot it please.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 23 March 2011 - 02:27 PM.

anthom

anthom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
I wasn't sure if you only needed to see what items are checked, or the whole list, so I'm attaching screenshots of the whole thing. Only the first one should contain the checked-off items.

Also, I have now uninstalled Startup Delayer.

EDIT: I have also unchecked the recommended BHOs in Autoruns. Anything else I need to do with those?

Attached Thumbnails

• msconfig1.png
  • msconfig2.png
  • msconfig3.png

Edited by anthom, 23 March 2011 - 04:26 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Uncheck the following they are not needed at startup
1. Apple sync Notifier
2. jusched - Java Checks
juschedjusched.exeChecks with Sun's Java updates site to see if newer Java versions are available. Visit http://java.sun.com or just run the Java Plug-In Control Panel3. itunes helper
4. reader_sl
simply speeds up slightly the opening of Adobe reader, but the pay off is a slower loading of Windows.
5. Google Update
6. Google Toolbar Notifier
7 OpenDNSupdater
OpenDNS UpdaterOpenDNSUpdater.exeRelated to OpenDNS Updater automatically updates your OpenDNS account when your IP address changes. Should be allowed to run if you use their Dashboard features. Note: Located in \%Program Files%\OpenDNS Updater\N

Those links are clickable and will take you to a utility that you may find very useful.
HOWEVER be aware please that unless you understand what you are seeing it is really only for seeking further advice here.on
GeekstoGo.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 23 March 2011 - 04:58 PM.

anthom

anthom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
OK, just unchecked those few startup items. I do notice that general operation seems more responsive compared to before, but I haven't tried a reboot since the last one.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Please do reboot and when you do so you will be presented with a System Configuration message. Simply check the small box - do not show this message again.

Advertisements

anthom

anthom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Rebooted, didn't see the configuration box but I think that's cause I've used selective start before and dismissed it.

Still took me about 3:26 from the login screen (Windows logo screen only showed up for a brief second) to desktop in a usable state.

anthom

anthom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
I'm also noticing that MSE isn't starting up automatically when I reboot. The icon's in the tray, but it's red until I open it and tell it to turn on protection.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Please check that you have left Microsoft Security Essentials running at startup
that is msseces

Also when ever you alter the startup items that message should appear - please do not be insulted but you did remember to click Apply and Ok I presume.
It is so easy to forget with all you have done.

I have just had another look at your autoruns
Have you installed this please
libusb0" "LibUSB-Win32 - Kernel Driver" "http://libusb-win32....ourceforge.net" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\libusb0.sys"

See this
http://sourceforge.n...busb-win32/wiki

Please do not alter it - I will ask rshaffer61 to have a look.
I do not know the implications.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 23 March 2011 - 07:14 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I have checked and the advice from rshaffer61 is leave it - DO NOT remove it or alter it - the libusb0 Kernel driver.
On that link I included in my previous post you will see this
Device Driver Installation

• Please use the latest release version.
IF at anytime you have problems with USB issues and that driver is suspected that link will take you to the download for the latest version. Yours is an old version, but if it is not causing any problems - leave it as said.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 23 March 2011 - 08:46 PM.

anthom

anthom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Yes, MSE and iTunes helper (not the sync notifier) are the only startups checked. I had originally done the unchecking in Autoruns, which is why I didn't get the System configuration pop-up. After verifying in msconfig and rebooting again, I see it now. MSE is also activating properly, just seems like it takes a little bit to recognize that it's running and turn the icon green.