Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Slowness everywhere

• Please log in to reply

anthom

anthom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Burning it right now, and I'll likely leave it running overnight.
Just for reference, bootup time does appear to be getting better. Last boot took only 2:30 from Windows logo to desktop.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
May I just add that I admire your dedication I know it is your computer, but you have done everything asked of you and it is a pleasure to try and help resolve the issue.
I am signing off in about 15 mins it is 0133hrs here in UK
I will get the results of this about 1900hrs and depending on this being OK - the mem test - which you can do by removing sticks etc - and that is generally more relaible than memtest - however with 7 passes or so I am just wondering if memtest will find something that the one off switch of ram sticks would not.

I think then we will run driver verifier , see what PC Pitstop says, and go from there.
I will wait to check all is OK after the last items changed.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Re your 46 - what is time to windows logo
Also pls answer my post 39.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 24 March 2011 - 07:41 PM.

anthom

anthom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
39 was the question about my wife's profile, right? (I'm reading and posting from the mobile format site, and if it shows post #s I'm not seeing it...)

We have fast user switching turned on. Her user account was disconnected but she had not "logged out," only "switched user."

anthom

anthom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
I let it run overnight, 11 passes, no errors. Took a picture in case there was any other info necessary.

Attached Thumbnails

• PICT1758.JPG

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Re your wife`s account I was just eliminating the fact that for some reason, you were loading by default two user profiles, at logon.
As she had not sgined out that was why there were two winlogons in the task manager.

The other question was when you said there was an improvement on time to desktop from logon, I was asking how long from boot to logon screen.

I agree nothing wrong with the memory.

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Best Regards

Edited by rshaffer61, 25 March 2011 - 06:45 AM.
Modified instructions for PCPitstop

anthom

anthom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
I'll try the PC Pitstop tests this evening - probably after 18:00 EST (I think we're about 4 hours behind the UK).

I didn't measure the time from boot to logon screen, but time from boot to XP logo has drastically reduced, from 2 minutes (at the start of this process a few days ago) to about 20 seconds last time I rebooted!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well that is a great improvement is it not. But you still are on 2 minuites or so are you from password to desktop.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I didn't measure the time from boot to logon screen, but time from boot to XP logo has drastically reduced, from 2 minutes (at the start of this process a few days ago) to about 20 seconds last time I rebooted!

That sounds about what it should be. :D

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
rshaffer61 :D
Thanks for 51. :D
It appears, a little progress at last.. ;)

Edited by Macboatmaster, 25 March 2011 - 09:00 AM.
Added a note to post

Advertisements

anthom

anthom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Indeed - thanks again for your help thus far (both of you). :D

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

May I just add that I admire your dedication I know it is your computer, but you have done everything asked of you and it is a pleasure to try and help resolve the issue.]

The quote from my post 47 says all. You are more than welcome. Our satisfaction when we have a successful outcome (not wanting to count chickens before they hatch) is made all the better by working with someone who really does appreciate it. You would be amazed how many people post and the after a couple of replies just leave the matter.
Wait to hear from you later.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 25 March 2011 - 09:06 AM.

anthom

anthom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
PC Pitstop just finished running, URL to the results is http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=24273790

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Just to let you know - just started looking at Pitstop now.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. Bootvis
Please note that Bootvis.exe is not a tool that will improve boot/resume performance for end users. Contrary to some published reports, Bootvis.exe cannot reduce or alter a system's boot or resume performance. The boot optimization routines invoked by Bootvis.exe are built into Windows XP. These routines run automatically at pre-determined times as part of the normal operation of the operating system."

Although it is no longer available as a download direct from Microsoft,, it is still on Softpedia etc.
Whilst it will not do any harm on the computer it will not make it boot faster.
It is really on XP just analysis tool.
I have to be honest and say that I do not really know the utility. However from what I have read if you have changed any setting using it, I would advise you to post the details and
then rshaffer61 who I feel reasonably certain will know of it, or when I see what if anything you have altered, can advise.

2. PSI Secunia
Not a bad program but if it is running - it will slow the system - uninstall it. OR ensure it is not set to run periodically.
Quote from Secunia.
Furthermore, the PSI provides a range of capabilities not found in the OSI version, such as automatically running scans a week after your last scan, automatic program updates, notifications for unpatched security issues in browsers and browser-plugins, and so on.

3.Disk Check passmark software
http://www.passmark....diskcheckup.htm
as the above if running will slow down the system.

More to follow.