Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slowness everywhere

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Per Wikipedia:

Because the Global Logger session used by BootVis is triggered by registry entries, it runs every time that the entries appear in the registry, which has resulted in some users seeing hard drive space exponentially decreasing due to the size of the trace.log file (in C:\WINDOWS\System32\LogFiles\WMI).

In a nutshell I would not recommend the use of this program. The issue can be resolved without the use of miracle programs like this.

PSI Secunia is another one of those programs like Driver Mechanic. In most cases it won't give you the correct info and you will have to pay for the program in the end to egt it to download and install the updated driver. Personally Microsoft's Window Update will be a better method to keep your system patched with security updates. As far as your software and hardware a visit to the manufacturer of the hardware and to the author of the programs once a month will be a lot safer way to keep them up to date.

Disk Check passmark a good ideal but again another program that does not need to be running all the time. If you really want to keep this program I would run it when you need it and not allow it to run in real time mode.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
1.Sun ( Oracle) Virtual Box
Did not know it, but am I not right in saying - main purpose is to allow mutiple operating systems to run SIMULTANEOUSLY

2. PeerBlock
http://www.peerblock.com/
Had a look at the site - uninstall it.
Your anti-virus - firewall and the Web of trust I sent you - will look after everything.
YOU DO NOT NEED this.
Having had a look I opine, that you do not want it either.

3. You have CCleaner
Please NEVER scan with the registry editor checked.
GeekstoGo stresses this and most of us now prefer ATF and of course the TFC that rshaffer61 sent you.

4. Microsoft Baseline Secuirty analyser
You have 2.1
The current version is 2.2.
http://www.google.co...aWXxCUw&cad=rja

Really an analysis tool for IT professionals. Most of what it analyses can be done far easier with a visit to Microsoft update site and ensuring that your security is kept up to date.
Adobe
JAVA
are two of the major security weaknesses when out of date and you should check for updates once a month.

5. utorrent182
BE EXTREMELY careful of torrents.
A prime way to test your anti-virus and firewall to the ultimate.

That completes my examination of the Software installed
HOWEVER - I recommend you carry out an examination yourself and uninstall what you may then fell you do not need - for instance you have two PDF readers
and Kaspersky online scan just to mention two.
I feel certain you can prune the list.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Further examination of Pitstop.

1. You have Windows Defender. installed.
You do not need it with Microsoft Security Essentials and it will slow your system down.
I thought MSE when installed disabled Windows Defender.
However having now researched the issue please see this

Q: Is Microsoft Security Essentials designed to replace Windows Defender?

A: No but if you are running Microsoft Security Essentials, you do not need to run Windows Defender. Microsoft Security Essentials is designed to disable Windows Defender in order to manage the PC's real-time protection, including anti-virus, rootkits, Trojans and spyware.

Q: Does installing Microsoft Security Essentials disable Windows Defender
A:
Microsoft Security Essentials should disable Windows Defender on Vista and Windows 7 and uninstall it from XP. In some cases, this does not happen automatically. Q: Do I need to manually disable or uninstall Windows Defender if I am using Microsoft Security Essentials?
A: If Microsoft Security Essentials did not automatically disable Windows Defender on Vista or Windows 7, you should disable it to prevent conflicts. Windows Defender cannot be uninstalled from Vista or Windows 7.
If Microsoft Security Essentials did not automatically uninstall Windows Defender on XP, you should manually uninstall Windows Defender via Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs.

Q: What happens if I do not disable or uninstall Windows Defender if I am using Microsoft Security Essentials?
A: If Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows Defender are both running, your system may experience performance degradation and other problems caused by the conflict of two services providing real time protection simultaneously.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 25 March 2011 - 06:18 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. Re Peerblock in my post 62
You should CERTAINLY uninstall this.
a further check of your Pitstop results caused me to look at the fragmenation of a file on your computer
Drive File Name File Size Fragments C:\ history.db 1487.88 MBs -98
I suspect that is caused by Peerblock.

http://forums.peerbl...92,4497,quote=1

2. Go device Manager - disk drives, right click your hard drive entry, properties , policies and check pls that write caching is enabled.
See screenshot pls.

3. Keep a watchful eye on the free space on the drive it is at this time 20%
Drive Size © 473807 MBs
That is OK but be aware that a lot less on a drive of that size is not the ideal.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 25 March 2011 - 06:36 PM.

anthom

anthom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
I have uninstalled bootvis, disk checkup (both of which I initially used to try and diagnose the speed issue, but no changes were made), Secunia, and MS Baseline Security analyzer. I can't find Windows Defender in the add/remove programs list, so I'm not sure how to get rid of it.

As for Peerblock, I do use that occasionally in conjunction with uTorrent, and it's not continuously running - only when a torrent is transferring. I know there are also options to keep that history file down to a manageable size. I understand the concern and risk, but I plan on keeping both. Also I'll be keeping VirtualBox installed - I've been using it to test different Linux distros.

I have used CCleaner's registry cleaning feature regularly in the past, but I've read enough in the forums over the past few days that I believe I'm cured of that. :D I'm hoping it hasn't messed anything up, but I do have the saved changes in .reg files (over 30 of them dating back to when I first got this PC) in case anything might need to be restored.

Write caching was not enabled, so I checked the box to enable it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
As for Peerblock, I do use that occasionally in conjunction with uTorrent, and it's not continuously running - only when a torrent is transferring

Hmmm let me ask something. Have you been through the Malware forum to have your system completely checked out for any hidden infections? If so do you have the link to that topic?
If not then I suspect that you have some malware on your computer causing issues that we are not able to solve through means we can use here in the Tech Forums. I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found here. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).
Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

anthom

anthom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
I did have this PC go through a malware cleaning about a year ago. Link is: http://www.geekstogo...52#entry1743552

After cleaning it out was when I switched to MSE (and first installed Comodo for the firewall). I have MSE scheduled to run weekly, and I've done a few scans with MBAM since then too, which all turn up clean.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I just have a sneaking suspicion with torrents you may have something hidden. :D
You might just want to have it gone through again before we go any further here. :D

anthom

anthom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
I'm not seeing any self-help tools in the "Start Here" topic. It's only showing how to scan with OTL and create a new topic from the logs. I can certainly do the scan and post a new topic, but I want to be sure I've done everything I can before involving any other volunteers in this, especially since the computer's already running much more smoothly than it has in at least a year.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OTL is the only log they ask for to begin. From there the malware Tech will instruct you what he or she needs to further inspect your system.
Unless Macboatmaster sees something else then I advise you to follow the instructions if for no other reason to make sure you are healthy and infection free.
I will watch for his recommendations if any. :D

Advertisements

anthom

anthom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
I've started a topic there. Link is: http://www.geekstogo...dden-infection/
Thanks!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
No I did not see anything else but I would be very interested to know how it is now that write caching is enabled.
Good luck with it.
As rshaffer61 has said, a wise course to ensure yourself it is clean.

Enjoyed working on the thread.

anthom

anthom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
I just got the "all clear" from the malware tech I was working with. I haven't measured boot time since before the malware scan, but again, it's already much better than it was before uninstalling Comodo. :D

Anyway, I wanted to double check back with you guys to see if you have any other recommendations.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Get a time on the boot now.

anthom

anthom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Total time is around 2:16 - :40 from first boot to login, and 1:34 from login screen to desktop.