Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Slowness everywhere

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
40 secs not bad
1.34 a little slow I think.
Did you sort out that MSE and Windows Defender as per my post 63.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK lets take a look at the controller then.

ok I need you to do the following and let me know what it says
Let's make sure all drives are using DMA mode

Click the Start and then Right click My Computer
Select Manage and In the Computer Management window, select Device Manager
In the right pane, click to expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
The click on the + sign next to your Hard drive controllers on both the Primary Controller and Secondary Controller
Right click on the drive and select Properties
Click the Advanced Settings tab
In the Transfer Mode box open the drop down menu and select DMA if available
Redo the steps to check each of the Controllers
Click OK and exit all windows
Reboot to make sure all settings take affect. Reply back with your results

anthom

anthom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
RE:Windows Defender - I wasn't able to find a separate installation of Windows Defender in the Add/Remove Programs list, so I'm not sure how else I might uninstall it if it's there.

As for the controllers, I have 2 entries each for Primary IDE Channel and Secondary IDE Channel. No changes were necessary - every one has the "DMA if available" option selected, but the actual current transfer mode shows the following for each:

Primary (1): Ultra DMA Mode 5
Primary (2): Not applicable
Secondary (1): PIO Mode
Secondary (2): Not applicable

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Sorry to have left you waiting.
I have just re-examined the siutation and having seen that the Malware expert also advised on some matters as we did and then with you completed a clean up of the many - in fact too many extensions, toolbars and add-ons running in Firefox I have unfortunately no further suggestions to offer.

I cannot understand how Windows Defender appeared in the previous log, as outlined on my post the installation of MSE nornmally uninstall the Defender. Windows Defender was in many aspects the pre-cursor to MSE.

However there is no sign of it as you say in the Programs - add/remove and neither is there any sign of it in any other logs.

Good luck please of course post back if you feel there is still an unnacceptable delay in loading windows.

Re initial boot time - do you have quickboot enabled in BIOS setup - if your BIOS is so designed.

Using the Quick Boot Feature of the BIOS
All systems initialize in more or less the same way. During the power on self test mentioned earlier, the BIOS checks the hardware devices and counts the system memory. Out of all of the different types of system memory, the random access memory, better known as RAM, takes the longest to be counted. Counting the RAM takes time, and on a machine that has large amounts of RAM, this calculation can take several seconds. For example, a machine that has 512MB of RAM may take up to 3 seconds just to count the memory. On top of the RAM counting, a few other tests need to be done because your computer wants to make sure that all of the hardware in your computer is working properly. All of these system tests are not needed every time that you boot, and can be turned off to save time. Most system BIOS's offer a feature called quick boot. This feature will allow the user to turn off these test. Other BIOSs only allow you to turn off the memory check, which will still cut down on a lot of time.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 01 April 2011 - 06:24 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 15 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.