Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't turn it off

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Just run the Seatools for dos as per my previous post the disk check aspect of it runs on any drive

As indeed does the Hitachi in the basic fitness test.. Here are the instructions. Becuase the computer will not load Windows you need to create a bootable disc as per the instructions here.
Experiencing a potential hard drive failure can be one of the most disruptive computer problems users might ever face. Even though the hardware can be replaced, the data and software on it might be irreplaceable. We have found that, in many problem situations where hard drive replacement occurs, the replacement could have been avoided. That's because most hard drives returned by customers are not actually damaged-meaning that the problem was caused by something other than a hard drive malfunction.

To help users quickly determine whether or not a hard drive is really malfunctioning, Drive Fitness Test (DFT) — part of the drive fitness technologies -- uses a PC-based program that accesses special hard drive microcode, enabling users to diagnose proper drive operation.

Downloads
To run the DFT, you must download the appropriate creator or image and create a self-booting media.

You may create the media under Windows (using the Windows OS version) or Linux (using the binary image), but you must start your system with the DOS-bootable diskette to run DFT.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 29 March 2011 - 06:55 AM.

Advertisements

abigailone

abigailone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Cannot get link to user guide to open from above ?

If I were to get a new drive what should I look out for?

Are all connections etc standard, does speed matter, what about buffer size, should I go for something like 250GB, would that work in current set up OK.

Also, I had no XP disc with laptop,what is the process of reinstalling it, will it bebacked up somewhere

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I have checked all those links and they work perfectly three to the site and two direct to the downloads
Please do not look for a new drive until you have tested that one, you could be buying a drive when the problem lies elsewhere.

abigailone

abigailone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ok, will give it a go but I cannot get the user guide pdf to open , it looks as if it is starting to open but then just get blank screen

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Do you mean on the computer with the fault or on the one you are using to post.
Make the floppy or bootable cd on the good computer and run it on the one with the fault

abigailone

abigailone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Got the pdf to open but in IE rather than Firefox ? (wouldn't open in Firefox) User guide 31 pages !!!

Will see if I can give it a go although looks complicated.

If it doesn't turn out to be the hard drive then what are the other likely causes?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
It is not complicated honestly
Download this
http://www.hitachigs...32_v416_b00.iso
It is an ISO and make it using this
http://www.snapfiles...t/burncdcc.html

When you ask what else - if it is the hard drive clicking - it is as I described before on an earlier post, it is on borrowed time.
I think it best to wait until you have run the test.

COPY AND PASTE from a website.
Verify that it is the Hard Drive Clicking
If you are reading the information on this website you most likely have a hard drive making a clicking sound or another funny noise. You may need to open your computer’s case to check, but you should verify that it is in fact the hard drive making the noise and not a fan or optical drive.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 30 March 2011 - 04:44 PM.

abigailone

abigailone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ran sea tools and no problems found ?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Cannot remember just now, if you have done this but check all vents on the laptop are clean and ensure that you can hear the fan spinning.
If they are dusty, use a soft brush to clean.
Have a look at the user manual it will provide more in depth instructions.
If you do not have the manual go here
http://www.acer.co.u...content/drivers
enter the model of aspire one and have a look at the user manual.
Many times you can take a panel of the base to gain easier access to the parts that require dust cleaning from them.
CAUTION take care do not of course blow out with an airline - full of moisture and do not suck with a vauuum cleaner - an air duster spray is ideal.

Then work your way through the info on this link
http://www.microsoft...mproveperf.mspx

to commence the clean up procedure of the drive etc and I will post some more information for you.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 01 April 2011 - 05:32 PM.