Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No autocompletes please

• Please log in to reply

wright3279

wright3279

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Is there a way to permanently turn off the boxes that popup when I'm browsing and offer to turn Autocomplete on? I will never want it on.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi wright3279. Welcome to Geeks to Go. Those popups are trying to entice you into downloading some malicious malware. I think one of the best things to do is dowload Spybot, make sure it is updated with the current updates, and then run the immunize feature it provides. Get their sypware blaster update too. Get Ad Aware and run that as well. Your browser may have an option to turn on a popup blocker as well, and you can do that too. You are very wise, auto complete is not good (as far as I am concerned anyway....).

wright3279

wright3279

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
I really think the pop-ups were coming from Internet Explorer, more so now because since I went back to Firefox I haven't been getting them. I use Adaware and Spybots already. I finally quit IE for good because on My Yahoo page I was getting alerts about some sort of Active-X wanting to be installed on every news story I would click on. I read on a search that that was something with Yahoo that they had recently started. Firefox doesn't give the alerts. So I don't know what's happening with those Active-X's.
Thanks for the reply.