Over the past 4 days I've tried to repair problems with an acer laptop running Windows 7 64 bit. The original problem, as I thought at the time, was:
- Too much storage being used by an assortment of free games (free ride games, popcap, etc)
- noticeably slow start up
- slow download of Chrome browser
- avast would not start web shield
- multiple toolbars
My first attempts to fix included:
- download & run Ccleaner uninstaller to remove the games 1 by 1
- run avast scan & boot time scan - infections found & treated
- run malwarbytes --infections found & treated(logs still available)
- uninstall outdated Norton & Mcafee
- Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool - a handful of infections were found & treated
Most of the above things treated were associated with the large number of games on the machine.
This resulted in a re-occuring "Exetender Player Fatal Error" on start up. I used msconfig to unchecked that feature. Avast was still with the 1 web shield disabled. Several attempts to uninstall avast > reboot > install > reboot failed. After a reboot following a fresh install, the shield failed to enabled.
I restored back to a check point prior to getting the laptop & successfully installed Avast. Then I realized I still had icon images from the games still on my desktop from the games (they were faded-out & without the normal presentation of colors) & the attempts to uninstall them again gave errors for missing install.log's, included for exetender install.logs.
As I can remember I've included all the steps I've taken. I'm not sure these are all different problems so I described what I can remember. I have the thread watched & am receiving emails. Currently, I wish to remove all traces of these games (and the remaining traces of norton online back up) however, I know there may be additional problems I'm not aware of.
Please let me know if there's any additional information I can provide.