Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing install.log (s) preventing removing traces of mutilple free ga

• Please log in to reply

Ewok Amani

Ewok Amani

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hellow ,

Over the past 4 days I've tried to repair problems with an acer laptop running Windows 7 64 bit. The original problem, as I thought at the time, was:
  • Too much storage being used by an assortment of free games (free ride games, popcap, etc)
  • noticeably slow start up
  • slow download of Chrome browser
  • avast would not start web shield
  • multiple toolbars

My first attempts to fix included:
  • download & run Ccleaner uninstaller to remove the games 1 by 1
  • run avast scan & boot time scan - infections found & treated
  • run malwarbytes --infections found & treated(logs still available)
  • uninstall outdated Norton & Mcafee
  • Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool - a handful of infections were found & treated
  • Combofix

Most of the above things treated were associated with the large number of games on the machine.

This resulted in a re-occuring "Exetender Player Fatal Error" on start up. I used msconfig to unchecked that feature. Avast was still with the 1 web shield disabled. Several attempts to uninstall avast > reboot > install > reboot failed. After a reboot following a fresh install, the shield failed to enabled.

I restored back to a check point prior to getting the laptop & successfully installed Avast. Then I realized I still had icon images from the games still on my desktop from the games (they were faded-out & without the normal presentation of colors) & the attempts to uninstall them again gave errors for missing install.log's, included for exetender install.logs.

As I can remember I've included all the steps I've taken. I'm not sure these are all different problems so I described what I can remember. I have the thread watched & am receiving emails. Currently, I wish to remove all traces of these games (and the remaining traces of norton online back up) however, I know there may be additional problems I'm not aware of.

Please let me know if there's any additional information I can provide.

Advertisements

Ewok Amani

Ewok Amani

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
To solve this I reinstalled each game. I searched for the game title plus the company name (different places offered "bejeweled", etc). Reinstalled the game. Used ccleaner to uninstall the game. Each time it worked out without any problems, except of course, for the time involved.