Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

c000128 registry file error

• Please log in to reply

offbeatmoe

offbeatmoe

• Pip
  • 3 posts
i have a gateway 500s retail desktop and i had a power failure and wen i turned the computer back on it the system was shut down due to a power failure and asks to restart windows normally last known good configuration or safe mode wen i restarted it using either one an error msg pop up "Stop: c000218 the
registry can not load HIVE (file) \system\system32\config\software" it is corrupt of unreadable i tried using the Recovery Console and using "chkdsk" to attempt to repair the damaged sectors. but it did not help any suggestions

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
The registry is corrupt, more than likely because it was being written to when the power failure occurred.

Which chkdsk did you run on recovery console
run the chkdsk C: /r command, I presume you ran chkdsk C: /p did you.

If you have already run the chkdsk /r.

Then you will have to try this.
PLEASE TAKE YOUR TIME, one wrong command by way of a missed space etc and it will not work.
Re enter recovery console
When you get to the recovery console prompt:
  • Type cd \ and press "Enter".
  • Type cd system~1\_resto~1 and press "Enter".
  • Type dir and press "Enter".
After you press enter you will see a list of folders (like rp1, rp2) If the list of restore points has more than one page then press the "Enter" key until you reach the end of the list
  • Type cd rp {number of the third to last folder in the list} and press "Enter". (Example: Type cd rp8 if rp10 is the last restore point.)
  • Type cd snapshot and press "Enter".
  • Type copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system and press "Enter".
  • Type copy _registry_machine_software c:\windows\system32\config\software and press "Enter".
  • Type exit and press "Enter".
Your PC will reboot.

If you get an access denied error when doing the above, then do the following at the recovery console:
  • Type cd \ and press "Enter".
  • Type cd windows\system32\config and press "Enter".
  • Type ren system system.bak and press "Enter".
  • Type exit and press "Enter".
Your PC will reboot, go back into the Recovery Console and start from the beginning.
ACKNOWLEDGEMENT to Wannabe and others for this procedure.
This procedure will effect a system restore - from the restore point you would normally access if you were in Windows on Programs, Accessories, System tools, system restore.
Post if you have any queries.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 24 March 2011 - 01:53 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
If the system restore via the Recovery console does not work then you will have to rewrite the registry.

There are no guarantees that you will recover from this., without a repair install of XP or at worst a fresh install.
If you have important data you want we will secure that first.
I will wait to hear from you.

NB There are quite a few other things to try before you are faced with the repair install.
However as always with this error it is wise to secure your data before we proceed.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 30 March 2011 - 06:35 AM.

offbeatmoe

offbeatmoe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I will Try this and let u know the results

offbeatmoe

offbeatmoe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thanks for the help. i got my pc back runnin again. You are a life saver!!!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Did you get it back using the restore point procedure on the recovery console