Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

driving me crazy

• Please log in to reply

glitch

glitch

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok after i format my drive and start installing win me i get this error message
THIS IS A TRUETYPE FONT NOT A PROGRAM.
i noticed that when i run fdisk and try to delete the exsisting partion where you name your op sys it has ividualico when i try to type in this name to confirm delete my key board only types in caps. it is not my key board and to confirm delete name is case sentive.

any help please

THANK YOU GLITCH

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Whoa, what is it you are trying to do - install winME or repartition the hard drive?

If you are trying to repartition :

1. Why?

2. The only name you have to type into fdisk to remove a partition, is the volume label. Is that what you meant?

3. If so, what is the volume label of the partition supposed to be?

4. When you type the volume label in, fdisk will display it in capitals - this is normal behaviour for fdisk

5. What version of boot disk are you running fdisk from?

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
when you run the fdisk, were you log on to Windows or are you in the command prompt just before the Windows loaded? You cannot delete the said partition when it is actually active and in use.

I suggest you, when you try to boot tap F8 continuously until you are presented with an option screen, either choos command prompt only or safe mode w/ command prompt, only then you can delete the said partition.

It is always CAPS LOCK to prevent the case sensitivity error. That way it is sure to delete the right partition and not by mistake.

Edited by kool808, 29 May 2005 - 05:45 AM.

glitch

glitch

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The volume label that is on the drive now is ividualico. but when i try to delete it my key board will on type in caps and will not let me remove this partition because it is case sentive
I know it is not the key board thank you

GLITCH

Edited by glitch, 29 May 2005 - 05:42 AM.

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
Did you just read my suggestion/reply just a while ago? You just did re-typed your words from the above statements.

Please give us further details on it. Very much appreciated.

glitch

glitch

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Did you just read my suggestion/reply just a while ago? You just did re-typed your words from the above statements.

Please give us further details on it. Very much appreciated.

View Post

There is not os on the drive.I formated it. But in order to delete the partition using fdisk when i select delete primary partion it go's on to confirm that you in fact want to delete said partition. But to confirm you have to type in the current volume label which is ividualico and when i try to type this in I can only type in caps .the problem is it is case sentive so when i type in caps it says volume label does not match.I have put together many computers in my time but i have never seen this problem before. If i try to leave the current volume label in place and boot from a: start with cdrom support once it starts to copy sys files i get this error .TRUETYPE FONT NOT A PROGRAM.

GLITCH

Edited by glitch, 29 May 2005 - 07:26 AM.

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
Ok, that is much better. At this moment, how many partitions do you have that exist? You can view this by selecting OPTION 4.

Note: Please print the following procedures for this will not be available during the process.

Let us try this procedure:
  • First we need configure the boot up seq in your BIOS. Boot up, once you are on the P.O.S.T. (the black screen where scanning of memories, etc. appears) press the DEL key until presented with several options on blue screeen.
  • Go to Advanced BIOS features
  • Go to Boot Seq & Floppy Setup
  • Now arranged the sequence in this following order
    • First Boot Device - Floppy
    • Second Boot Device - CD-ROM
    • Third Boot Device - HDD-0
    • Now go back, then go to Save & Exit Setup
    • Confirm with Y (for yes)
    (Note: Please DO NOT change any other settings except the one I have enumerated.)
  • Now it will begin to boot up again, place your installer disk on the CD-ROM drive.
  • Once prompted to with the CD's option screen choose Start with CD-ROM support
  • On the command prompt type A:\fdisk then press enter
  • Once you are in the fdisk options, you choose Delete Partition
  • Select the number[1,2,3,etc.] of the partition you wish to delete
  • Here is the part it will confirm by letting you type the volume label, the output is ALWAYS CAPS LOCK, that is just normal. The program is designed to make sure that there will be no error with regard to case-sensitivity so it always converts it to CAPS LOCK.
  • After you have deleted the partition, we will Create a New Partition.
  • There are three options Primary DOS, Extended DOS, Logical DOS in Extended DOS partitions. Choose Primary DOS Partition, this partition is used when installing a new OS to the system.
  • Exit fdisk, then reboot CTRL+ALT+DEL

Note: We need to reformat our new partition so we can install a new OS to it. There are to two(2) ways to format it:
    • A) From the command prompt type D:\format C: then press enter
    • B) From your installer disk, it will prompt you to format your drive
  • After the format is complete,install your favorite OS from your installer disk.
After you have done it and still encounter problems, please reply here and we will discussed it.

Edited by kool808, 29 May 2005 - 11:53 AM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

I suggest you, when you try to boot tap F8 continuously until you are presented with an option screen, either choos command prompt only or safe mode w/ command prompt, only then you can delete the said partition.

View Post

You cannot delete the partition by choosing safe mode from the boot menu, then running fdisk. The system is still booting from the primary partition & therefore will not allow you to delete it. This is why a boot disk must be used.

glitch
which boot disk are you using? (ie win98?)
do you have more than one partition on the drive?
why do you need to delete it anyway?
Was winME the previous OS on the drive?

glitch

glitch

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well I never was able to remove the volume label of the old partion So after i formatted the drive and it ask name volume label i entered the one i could't delete and all went well from there.

Thank you all for your help
GLITCH

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
We are glad we had helped you! :tazz: