Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disappearing hard drive

• Please log in to reply

pheadlee

pheadlee

• Pip
  • 3 posts

I bought my Sony Vaio laptop from Costco. It did not come with a recovery cd or any operating system cds. It has Windows Vista installed. I am living in DR Congo...with no available computer stores around.

My hard drive space just keeps disappearing. I removed all my photos, music and documents and any unused programs. The hard drive is 130 GB, yet I have only 1 to 2 GB free. I run disk cleanup and keep removing things and it may show 6 GB left and later the same day it shows only 2 left. What is happening?

I think I have decided to reformat the machine. I do have a copy of Windows 7. Can I do a reformat/install option of Windows 7 with only 1 GB left? Will it reformat the computer first and then install Windows 7 thus erasing everything from the computer first? Where can I find the best option for reformatting instructions? Since I have no original disks, which drivers should I try to download first?

Thank you for any help you may give....
PHeadlee

Advertisements

fluffybunny88

fluffybunny88

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Before you reformat the machine lets look at a couple of things first. Download a free utility called Treesize http://www.jam-softw.../treesize_free/ there is the link and see where the majority of your space is being used, that may help figure out what is eating all of that space.

pheadlee

pheadlee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you for the help. I did as instructed but I am puzzled. Why does TreeSize say I have only 50.8 GB (half of this is used by Windows) when windows explorer says I have 142 GB. That is obviously the problem. What do you think?

fluffybunny88

fluffybunny88

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
That is a very strange one and to be honest I dont have a good reason as to why that is. Do you have an antivirus on the computer? Might want to go through the steps in the malware forums http://www.geekstogo...cleaning-guide/ to just see if maybe you have a bug of some kind. Lets rule that out and go from there.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
This is an issue with shadow copy (system restore)
Open a command prompt with administrator privileges:
1.Click Start - All Programs - Accessories. Right click on ‘Command Prompt’ and click ‘Run as Administrator’.
2.Type the following in the command prompt:vssadmin list shadowstorage The results shown will be similar to this:
Used Shadow Copy Storage space: 2.702 GB
Allocated Shadow Copy Storage space: 2.933 GB
Maximum Shadow Copy Storage space: 5 GB

3.If you feel like Vista is taking up too much space, then use this command to lower it:vssadmin resize shadowstorage /On=[Drive Letter]: /For=[Drive Letter]: /Maxsize=[space]For example, I executed this command to lower it to 2GB:
vssadmin resize shadowstorage /On=C: /For=C: /Maxsize=2GB

pheadlee

pheadlee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
After following your instructions I just rebooted and gained over 80 GB! I cannot thank you enough! I experimented first using the storage space to be 15 GB. Now I am going to lower it to 2 GB. Thank you for saving me hours of headache. I can now load my photos and music and documents back onto my computer from a hard drive. Bless you for your kindness and help!!!!