Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

VT8235 integrated VGA Not Working

• Please log in to reply

sagehoge

sagehoge

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm in a computer repair class and its my 7th week. We each have 3 computers. 1 works, 1 is a windows Pentium 2 computer we have to get up and working, and 1 has a random problem with it. The one with the random problem is beyond me. As the title says the on-board VGA is not working and the Video card that came with it is not working. The monitor does not even recognize that its even plugged in. The motherboard comes on but thats it.

I've tried

1) disconnecting the video card and using the integrated exclusively
2) moving the card into a different slot
3) escalated it to the other students in the class

and everything is pointing to one answer.

my motherboard has a short in it.

if anyone has a different theory please tell me. Thank for your time.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi sagehoge :D
Whilst it is possible your analysis is correct it is not conclusive and detailed troubleshooting needs to be done to establish the culprit.
Other possible causes include a bad PSU, bad Ram, bad CPU and a misplaced or incorrectly placed jumper cap.
Don`t rule out the possibility of more than 1 issue after all it is a test of your ability.
Good luck with the project and if we can be of any assistance feel free to ask, providing the MBs make and model will help us to help you better.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

The monitor does not even recognize that its even plugged in.

Does the BIOS recognise it is.

disconnecting the video card and using the integrated exclusively

enable onboard graphics.

Now whilst we can probably offer further help - as this is your 7th week in a computer repair class - are you not supposed to find the solution, other than by asking GeekstoGo

However a few pointers
The motherboard comes on but thats it.

will the computer post
do the fans work
can you try another PSU - depending on what resources are avilable in this repair class.

If the computer will NOT post to enter setup - how do you know the monitor does not as YOU say recognise the card is plugged in.
You have also posted in this link
http://www.geekstogo...__fromsearch__1
on a network matter - is that part of the test for the class as well.?
Good luck with the class.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 25 March 2011 - 03:30 PM.

sagehoge

sagehoge

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm asking as a part of the troubleshooting method. Right now I'm escalating the problem.