Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is it worth upgarding to Widows 7

• Please log in to reply

Geekimnot

Geekimnot

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Hi,

I have free upgrade from Vista to Windows 7.

Two questions really.

1) Is it actually worth upgrading.

2) I have had to open Windows XP on Vista to operate some old software that I cannot upgrade, and this setup does not allow me to print directly to a UBS printer, I have to go via an XPS print routine. This is quite cumbersome, if I upgrade to Windows 7 and still operate the XP window will I be able to print directly to the UBS printer.

Any help or suggestion appreciated.
Cheers

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
1) Yes.
2) I presume you mean a virtual machine of some sort. Windows 7 has access to a virtual machine you download as an add-on but this will only be available for Professional and Ultimate, not Home Premium. It still doesn't guarantee that your legacy software will work because it still will be a virtual set up with no external USB support.

Geekimnot

Geekimnot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Thanks Neil,

Yes it is a virtual XP, can I do wireless from the virtual XP?

cheers

JasonWinTeam

JasonWinTeam

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Yes, upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7 is worth it. However, before you upgrade, I recommend that you download and run the free Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor. It helps find potential issues with your computer’s hardware, devices, or programs that might affect installing Windows 7, and gives recommendations on what to do. Let us know if this helps.