Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

blue screen of death (tcpip.sys STOP)

• Please log in to reply

IntruderCT

IntruderCT

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello, I did not know where I would put this thread but since network card seems to have something with this.

I get several times a day "blue screen" message that says "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" it happens about 10-20 minutes after I started the computer and started surfing the web.
There stood also something about "tcpip.sys" # STOP something

I have noticed that if I disable the network card so it works all right and I get no "blue screen" but then I can not go on the internet ...

I have tried to install the drivers for my network card and tried to downgraded it and upgraded it to the newest version. nothing helped

I have been in contact with Dell support but they did not help me because I changed OS to Windows 7 (Xp had before when I bought): (

I've tried fiddling with settings on the card also, but nothing helped there either so now I know not what to find on because I turn to you:)

The network card I have is an integrated Atheros AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 PCI-E Ethernet Controller Driver 1.0.0.18 Date 2009-08-23

I have the motherboard: Asus P5QLD PRO
Windows 7 Ultimate
4Gb RAM
Intel Core 2 Duo E6700

if it helps, my anti-virus PC Tools Internet Security

that's all I'm going on right now, would you need more just ask :D

Thanks in advance B)

Advertisements

fluffybunny88

fluffybunny88

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Can you get the hardware ID of your device? Go to device manager and then go down to the network devices click the plus sign then go to the NIC right click it go to properties, then go to details, in the drop down menu click hardware ID's and then post the full line that is listed there. It will help verify the correct driver for your NIC.

Also you said it was a dell, what model dell?

IntruderCT

IntruderCT

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Can you get the hardware ID of your device? Go to device manager and then go down to the network devices click the plus sign then go to the NIC right click it go to properties, then go to details, in the drop down menu click hardware ID's and then post the full line that is listed there. It will help verify the correct driver for your NIC.

Also you said it was a dell, what model dell?

hardware ID:
PCI\VEN_1969&DEV_1026&SUBSYS_83041043&REV_B0
PCI\VEN_1969&DEV_1026&SUBSYS_83041043
PCI\VEN_1969&DEV_1026&CC_020000
PCI\VEN_1969&DEV_1026&CC_0200

Yes it's a dell Optiplex 745

fluffybunny88

fluffybunny88

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
http://partner.ather...om/Drivers.aspx

It is an atheros nic, but everything on dells site is for XP try the windows 7 driver on the link above, that is from atheros I am not 100% sure it will work but you can try it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I have been in contact with Dell support but they did not help me because I changed OS to Windows 7 (Xp had before when I bought): (

By chance did you run the Windows 7 Upgrade adviser before updating it to Win7 to see if there was going to be any issues?

cobymichael

cobymichael

• Pip
  • 3 posts
have you tried installing the drivers in xp compatible mode? or you could always get an inexpensive network card that works with windows seven
hope this helps

IntruderCT

IntruderCT

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I know the problem now! the problem is my Anti-virus PC tools internet security
I have contact the support and ther are working on it right now! :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is it the Av or is it the internet security firewall?

IntruderCT

IntruderCT

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I don't really know yet, but I think it's the firewall, I need to gett the answer from support first

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK it may be then you have Windows firewall and PCTools firewall going at the same time.

IntruderCT

IntruderCT

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

It is the Av and the firewall

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK that could be the issue then. Having two firewalls active is just a problem. One may allow something and the other may block it.
You should decide which you really want and disable the other.
Then I would like you to do the following.

Tutorial for running chkdsk in Win 7 located HERE.

IntruderCT

IntruderCT

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

OK that could be the issue then. Having two firewalls active is just a problem. One may allow something and the other may block it.
You should decide which you really want and disable the other.
Then I would like you to do the following.

I'm sorry I did not read so carefully what you wrote before. of course I use only one firewall, the PC Tools Internet Security firewall

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts