Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Servers/IRC

• Please log in to reply

sagehoge

sagehoge

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Me and my classmates are putting up a server for a class project. We are trying to get all the computer in our classroom to be able to connect to it so that we can (A) share drivers (B) post any information we think will be helpful to the other students in the class. I've been thinking and I want to also use the server to also be an IRC network since we have limited internet access and its difficult to have study groups outside of the class (its a closed campus and there aren't any viable places to study in walking distance).
My only problem is that I have no idea where to start. We're using Windows Server 2003 for the OS. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi and welcome! :D

Here's where you start:

1) Google

2) TechNet

3) Google

Your first two points are easy enough so I will give some hints. You will just need to create shared folders that then become accessible over the network (you will need to configure the share and also permissions).

As for IRC server I have never worked with this before, so make sure to use points 1) and 3) especially for that one! :D

Cheers

Troy

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
You have also posted in this link
http://www.geekstogo...__fromsearch__1

It is on an entirely different matter - in fact diagnosing the faults on two computers as part of the 7th week of a computer repair class.
I and phillpower2 have posted on the other link.

Is setting up this network part of the test for the computer repair class as well.

Good luck with the class
If we give you too much help - will it be you or us on Geeks that pass the course. - only joking - well half only.Posted Image

Edited by Macboatmaster, 25 March 2011 - 03:34 PM.

sagehoge

sagehoge

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
the server is not apart of the test. The only test we have to worry about is the A+ essentials and practical. Setting up the server would be Methods of troubleshooting, such as

Verify power (e.g. LEDs, swap AC adapter), Remove unneeded peripherals, plug in external monitor, Toggle Fn keys or hardware switches, check LCD cutoff switch, verify backlight functionality and pixilation and Check switch for built-in WIFI antennas or external antennas

Given a scenario, integrate common preventative maintenance techniques like installing updates for drivers, firmware, OS and security.

and so on. But the main reason is to give me and the other students who cant afford internet a place to study as a group. I've come into a few problems in my research though (most of which should have been obvious)

How do I get everyone to connect? The campus dorms are so widely dispersed that with what we have now its impossible. My present idea is to build an antenna and boost the server's signal and have everyone in class to make a cantenna for their wireless adapter. Basically set up a CAN.

but thank you for your help so far and for the speedy response! I really like your forum so keep up the good work :D