Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trying to install ATA and IDE hard drives

• Please log in to reply

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
you have which version of XP running on the sata right now?
are you wanting to do a dual boot type of setup?

with the old IDE, try running scandisk, and/or run a defrag on that drive (especially once you clear any data off you have already transferred). this should allow the drive to mark any bad sectors, so it doesnt try to write to them again.

Advertisements

boober916

boober916

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I'm running Windows XP Home Edition. I'm just looking to have a one boot setup. I just want to use the IDE HD as a backup. Figure it would be easier than making a system backup every month or two and wasting all of those DVDs.

What would be the best way to go about clearing all of the data and getting the old IDE HD ready to back up the ATA HD?

Thanks

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
OK, I see what your saying. quickest way to clean the old disk is to just reformat it. move anything off it you want, since the format will wipe any data left on there.

then you could just do you you system backups to that drive, instead of to CD or DVD.