Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new desktop won't connect to internet

• Please log in to reply

mscobra

mscobra

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
Ok..You all have been able to help me before, let's see about the problem. My son built me a new computer last July 2010. Here are the specs: Main board: Biostar MCP6P M2+, CPU: AMD athlon 64 5200+ x2 socket AM2, Ram: 1GB,DDR2 800, upgradeable to 4GB, Hard drive: Seagate DB35.4 250GB, Video Card: nvidia geforce 7300GR 256MB. I am Running Windows XP. My computer will not connect to the internet after I have logged off and try to connect again a few moments later. It takes a few hours for something to reset, before I can log back on the internet. Here's what I have done to figure out the problem. I have a ethernet modem, connected to a Netgear Router, connected to my hard drive tower. I've already disconnected the router and hardwired the modem cable to the tower, but no change. I've called my ISP provider a couple of months ago and they sent out a new modem, same problem. I called them yesterday and asked if they could see what the problem was, They said I was connected at 100 mbps and should be on, but the web pages only half load and freeze up. The ISP person and I did all the PING tests and config test and there was not a problem there at all. I told them I was using Avast Spyware and the icon in the right hand corner of my home page quit spinning whenever the page froze. They suggested that I uninstall Avast and try another Spyware program, which I did and installed AVG. Guess what..Still having the same problem. I also use malwarebytes, if that helps at all. Please help..This isn't a big problem, but I do have a laptop and an XBOX 360 that doesn't work when this happens. It's just plain aggravating and probably something simple to fix. By the way, my son says that it's in my phone lines,because they are old..who knows.
Thanks in advance
Bonnie

Edited by mscobra, 24 March 2011 - 04:47 PM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

This isn't a big problem, but I do have a laptop and an XBOX 360 that doesn't work when this happens

Please clarify do you mean they lose the connection as well.

Because if the laptop also loses its connection then we can I think presume that is nothing in the setup of the network etc in the Biostar

Also

My computer will not connect to the internet after I have logged off

but the web pages only half load and freeze up

Which is it please - will NOT connect or will not display properly

and when it will NOT connect what is the message pls -

I can make a number of suggestions - but I really need the clarification of the above. as if the laptop will NOT connect when the Desktop will NOT then clearly something is corrupting the router etc.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 24 March 2011 - 05:27 PM.

mscobra

mscobra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Clarifying: When I try to log in to the internet, the page seems like it is going to load, it's a white screen, with partial address bar and tool bars, the green box at the bottom of the screen, goes about 1/2 way and doesn't move. After a few minutes it times it self out and the error "Can't connect to Internet" shows up on the page. I've tried to diagnosis to no avail.

When this happens the laptop does the same thing as the desktop and the XBOX says there is no connection from the Router. I tried the XBOX solution, by setting the MTU of the Router to 1364 or higher, but noticed that is already set at 1500.

Like I said earlier, the connection speed that shows in the lower right hand corner, Does say I am Connected at 100 Mbps and all the lights on the modem are all green lights. I have in the past, factory reset the router, but this hasn't worked either.

Thank you for your response, hope this helps.
Bonnie

CMGreene

CMGreene

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Quick way to test if the router is the problem. Bypass the router and plug your tower right into your modem. You should only need to do this for a few mins if the router isn't the problem. I have had a router go bad and had a problem close to yours and my isp tech had me bypass the router and test to figure out it was the problem.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
CMGreene
For your info from the first post

I've already disconnected the router and hardwired the modem cable to the tower, but no change

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

When this happens the laptop does the same thing as the desktop and the XBOX says there is no connection from the Router. I tried the XBOX solution, by setting the MTU of the Router to 1364 or higher, but noticed that is already set at 1500.

In view of your clarification, the problem is clearly quite separate from the computers and the xbox.
I can only suggest a reset of the router and the advice here
http://kb.netgear.co...detail/a_id/119

However in view of the fact that you have already effectively eliminated that, by connecting straight to the modem , and you have already tried with the new modem, I suggest you
must have a setting incorrect in the modem. OR it is a line fault. I would check the modem settings, please post details of the modem.

mscobra

mscobra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Sorry to have taken so long to answer, I was away from my computer. I'm not sure what you are asking for, but this is what I have. The tower is Connected to the internet at this point. If you need something else let me know where and how to get it.
Thanks again
Bonnie

Connection Information

DSL UP
Connection UP
User ID [email protected]
Connected at 1536 Kbps (downstream)
384 Kbps (upstream)
IP Address 68.77.111.121
IP Gateway 68.77.111.254
DNS Servers 68.94.156.1 dnsr1.sbcglobal.net
68.94.157.1 dnsr2.sbcglobal.net
Mode PPP on the modem (Public IP for LAN device)
Timeout Never
Modem Information
Modem Name SpeedStream
Model 5100
Serial Number 2000B23573597
Software Version 1.0.0.39
MAC Address 00:0B:23:57:35:97
First Use Date 2006/02/14 02:52:56 GMT
Local Network
Modem IP Address 192.168.0.1
Ethernet Status Connected

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I remain convinced that it is a setting in the speedstream.

I do not at the moment have time to wade through the manual it is 127 pages long
http://www2.windstre...edStream211.pdf

It is linked above.

mscobra

mscobra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Oh My..That is a long read..But it says for a Router. Although the numbers match the numbers on my case, but mine says it's a modem. The book looks greek to me, so I can wait, if you can figure out what might be causing the problem.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Difference between a Modem and a Router

In simple terms, a modem is a device that converts, or modulates, analog signals into digital data, or vice versa.

In terms of computer networking, a modem takes a signal provided by your Internet Service Provider, or ISP (via power lines, coaxial, etc.) and converts it into data your computer can comprehend to be the Internet. A form of a modem is also often found within a computer, which allows it to connect to the network.

A router, on the other hand, often works within the network as a postal office, metaphorically speaking. In general terms, it allows an Internet connection to be shared by multiple connections within one Local Area Network, or LAN. The router, unlike switches or hubs, checks the destination of the packet and sends it accordingly. Many modern routers also contain a firewall, which generally blocks incoming port connections. Wireless routers still function similarly, but allow computers the ability to connect to the network through wireless means.

These two devices are often used together, or are even combined into one device. The modem supplies the Internet, while the router divides it among multiple computers. The modem also works as an external mask for each of the computers on the network, and the router allows the computers to transfer data between one another

GO PAGE 88 on the link pdf. That will reassure you that it is your modem.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 25 March 2011 - 07:10 PM.

mscobra

mscobra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Thank you. I guess you learn something new everyday. :D

mscobra

mscobra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
HEY THERE.Any thing new for a permanate solution to this temporary problem yet?
Just wondering..:D :D

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Enter the modem setup and ensure that DHCP lease time is set infinite
Page 57 on pdf doc i sent

Edited by Macboatmaster, 29 March 2011 - 04:59 PM.

mscobra

mscobra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
here's what it reads now.

Home Network Configuration
To change the IP address lease time used by your LAN device, modify the information below.
Override default (10 minutes) with value below
DHCP Lease
Days 0: Hours 0: 10:Minutes

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I am not familiar withthat modem.
You will have to go to that document I sent you and work your way through like I did to find this setting
I do not know what it should now say
You want it set infinite it is on page 57.

However I originally thought that the problem was only after a disconnect and this computer or the laptop, or the xbox would not reconnect, suggesting the problem was in the router or the modem setings. and that is why I suggested the lease time.
Now I understand that you say that it will not load in the first place.
Is that the same for the laptop as well.

In the meantime run this on the Biostar

http://www.snapfiles...nsockxpfix.html

and see this
http://www.ssnsoftwa...dem-d-link-604/

Edited by Macboatmaster, 30 March 2011 - 06:34 AM.