Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

curious about FF4

• Please log in to reply

henny-penny-1

henny-penny-1

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I was told to hold off ff4 for now I have vista home premium.Any feedback ?

FF4 is nagging me to upgrade but I was advised to wait . I want to find out more .. can I expect any problems ? If I upgrade is a roll back possible and easy ?

I currently have a laptop thats going to be 3 this June

its a vista home premium machine 32 bit .. runs ok I have ie8 ( yuk) chrome and the version of FF thats below 4

avira virus scan ( free version ) spybot malware bytes

3g Ram

I tried posting on the ff forum but its likely my thread will get flooded off so Im seeking opinions here too

My son has FF on his pc as well and Im not sure if he has upgraded .. I am still holding off until I find out more

mei

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
I've installed FF4 on my laptop which is older than yours (about 6 years old) and it runs fine on Vista.
And if you should want to remove it there's no need to "roll back" your system at all, just uninstall it.
But I very much doubt you will want to do that once you find out how good it is.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I just installed FF4 on my XP 64bit partition and it is working great. It seems faster then the 3.6 I was using and no compatibility issue that I have found.
You may want to do some resetting of the toolbars at the top but other then that I have done nothing else.

henny-penny-1

henny-penny-1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

I just installed FF4 on my XP 64bit partition and it is working great. It seems faster then the 3.6 I was using and no compatibility issue that I have found.
You may want to do some resetting of the toolbars at the top but other then that I have done nothing else.

tool bars ?
does it come with tool bars ?
I keep that area as bare as possible lol

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
Nope, he mean the area with the address bar and Back and Forward buttons, not an optional toolbar.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep in FF4 the Home and Adblock buttons are on the Right Side of the Search Engine window. I hate stuff over there so I had to move them to the left side of the Address window where I normally have them. Just something I noticed when I started 4 for the first time.

henny-penny-1

henny-penny-1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I guess Id have to learn to navigate all over if I went for it

I got to check and see if my son has upgraded yet

My own laptop is still the one under v 4

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Everything else seems to work the same from previous versions but I do see a speed increase for sure.

henny-penny-1

henny-penny-1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Just in case it doesnt work out for the kid especially .. do you have a direct link to the version below 4 ?

I did a check
( pic attached ) what do you make of this ?

Attached Thumbnails

• incompat.jpg

Edited by henny-penny-1, 25 March 2011 - 11:50 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem. It is located HERE. Just scroll down to the language of your choice and to the right you will see the download links. :D

Advertisements

henny-penny-1

henny-penny-1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
does the incompatible add on in the shot below matter

what is it please ? Can you tell IM no techy lol

Attached Thumbnails

• incompat.jpg

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Different versions of that file are used for different programs.
According to the picture you may have a add on that won't work until the Net Framework is made compatible.
The only way to know for sure is to see if something you had before on FF isn't working on version 4.

henny-penny-1

henny-penny-1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
ah I understand

so if that were to happen I could for eg switch to IE or chrome ?

Im guessing that eventually if FF corrects this situation they will reenable the add on ?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

so if that were to happen I could for eg switch to IE or chrome ?

Oddly enough I was just reading somewhere that FF has a way to run things in compatibility mode. I will have to try and find that article again for you.

Im guessing that eventually if FF corrects this situation they will reenable the add on ?

This is true.
Have you found anything that isn't working now that did in 3.6?

henny-penny-1

henny-penny-1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I havent switched yet as I wanted to find out more

I clicked upgrade to see if there were any incompatabilities cos I figured they would prompt

so when I saw that incompatibility I held off