Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE
Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of friendly volunteers serve up answers and support. Get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message and all ads will be removed once you have signed in.
Create an Account Login to Account

black screen with blinking cursor after using recovery disk

• Please log in to reply

CMGreene

CMGreene

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Earlier this week I was hit by a virus.. I believe it was the antimalware doctor virus. After trying to remove the virus and all its effects I decided to reformat using the recovery disk from Toshiba. The recovery seemed to go fine.. went from 0 - 100% and then asked me to remove all disks and hit any key to continue. Once I hit the key to reboot.. I see the boot screen to select f2 - f12 and then goes to black screen with flashing white cursor in the top left corner. As it seems there are a few problems that cause this I would like a bit of advice on which way to try and proceed in fixing this.

I am running a Toshiba Satellite M65-S809 with windows xp. I do have the recovery disk and can access the bios and boot options but not f8 to get into safe mode.

Hopefully someone has a idea on which way for me to go.

Chris

Advertisement

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 515 posts
Hi CMGreene -
I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found here. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum.
If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs.
Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).
Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps (if any) have been taken here

Thank You -

Edited by noknojon, 25 March 2011 - 04:45 AM.

CMGreene

CMGreene

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I went to the link you gave for the Start Here topic, but get stuck on step 2 as the computer will not boot at all. All I get is the splash screen from toshiba with the option to hit f2 for bios setup, or f12 for boot selection. Maybe i am wrong but any malware should be gone from my machine since the recovery disk does a wipe of the hd unless the malware has worked its way into the bios itself (really hoping this isn't the case).

As far as what I have tried so far.. the only process I have done since getting the malware was to use the system recovery. I was able to get into the bios and make sure the hdd was listed (my first thought was the hd failed), and to make sure it was listed first in the boot order.

CMGreene

CMGreene

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I found a old windows xp disk in one of my desk drawers and decided to try formating and loading this windows onto my laptop and bypass the Recovery and applications disk that came with the laptop. I was able to get windows loaded and then use the Recovery disk to take it to factory specs to make sure the drivers were all correct. Not sure why this fixed it.. but it did. Thnx for anyone that looked at this post for me and gave advice one way or the other. This seems like a very friendly site and hopefully I will not have to use it in the future.. but as we know how computer can act im sure ill be back at one point or another.

Chris

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

As Featured On:

featured