Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

USB Ports Stopped Working And Cannot Get To Bios

• Please log in to reply

daddy

daddy

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Ok, this is a weird one so here we go from the beginning.

I just sold my computer so I could buy a new one. I bought the new one and it is all setup, so on my old machine I am going to to a complete wipe and restore since I have all the discs. That way the new owner will get it just like I did from the store. First what I did was remove a USB Port PCI card because I was going to put it in my new computer, but when I opened up my new computer there was no slots that fit the old PCI style??? So, I said no biggie since I have enough ports for what I need right now so I put the card back into my old computer. I only used that port card for an external hard drive anyhow.

Well, today I went to do the wipe on my old system and I plugged the mouse in and the keyboard to the normal ports in the back of the computer that everyone uses for them and which I had been using for years. I boot up the computer and all the computer installed USB ports are dead. Now only the PCI card USB ports work??? That has me puzzled to no end, so I figured the problem would correct itself after I do a new install from my HP discs. So, I now go to do an install from the discs so I do a shut down and on reboot tap my F8 key to take me to the bios to change the boot order...well guess what? Now my old computer will not recognize the hotkeys at all and just continues on to the regular windows screen and desktop. So now I am trying to figure how to do my recovery and I remember I have a drive partitioned off for that. So I go to my HP tools and choose system recovery and do the advanced one that wipes the whole machine. I figure after it reinstalls all will be fine. Well, it did the reinstall...but all the problems still exist.

1) None of the factory USB ports work...only the PCI card ones.

2) On startup I get an error message of "hkcmd module has encountered a problem and needs to close" message

3) When booting none of my hotkeys work at all. On mine (HP Pavillion) F1 should take me to a boot order, F8 should go into Bios, and F10 should take me straight into system recovery. None of them do anything...but yet when I open notepad I can type and the keyboard works. I truly believe a reinstall from my discs would be better then the one I did from the partition(D) because I did this once before years ago and remember the reinstall from the discs fixed everything....but I can't get to the disk without changing the boot order in the Bios which I cannot get to????

Here is my system info after the system recovery from the partioned drive:

Windows XP Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 1

HP Pavallion
Intel Pentium 4 cpu 2.53GHz
760MB RAM

I can't give the computer to the new owner like this and I feel awful. Please help my resolve. Thank you

peace out,
daddy

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

reboot tap my F8 key to take me to the bios to change the boot order.

F8 is never the key to enter setup
It is advanced boot options - Safe mode, Safe mode with networking, last know good, enable vga mode etc,

BIOS setup is normally F2 but may be delete or other F key bit not F8.
Normally you are informed on post screen to enter setup press --

It appears that on your Pavilion it is F10

Entering the BIOS Setup menu requires pressing a specific key at a specific time. If you fail to enter the Setup menu on your first try, repeat the following steps until you are successful:
  • Close all applications that are currently running and restart the computer by clicking Start , Shut Down , Restart the Computer , and then OK .
  • When the red Compaq logo or blue HP logo screen appears, press the F10 key on the keyboard to enter the Setup menu.
NOTE: An alternate to the above steps, especially if the logo screen disappears too quickly to enter BIOS, is to shut down (turn off) the computer. Wait 30 seconds, turn the power on and press F10 or F1 at the logo screen.

Post model type pls for Pavilion

Edited by Macboatmaster, 25 March 2011 - 02:56 PM.

daddy

daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
That is what I have done Macboatmaster...I have done reinstalls many time for me and my friends and know when to hit the F?? keys. That is my problem, no matter what the timing the computer does not recongnize the keyboard strokes on the hotkeys and just goes right into normal bootup...that is why I have this problem. Then after the reinstall from within the "D" recovery partition I get that error about "hkcmd module has encountered a problem and needs to close" message and from what I read it is an intel graphics hotkey problem of some sort??? I don't know sir. I am just perplexed...never had a computer I could not get into the bios on or the recovery console (which is F10 on the HP...F8 is setup and F1 is a direct to boot order hotkey). Here is all my computer info...and I have all the recovery discs (8) for this machine.

BTW...when I talk about the PCI USB ports, that is a card I added to the machine. The ones that come standard with computer all stopped working. Just last week it all worked fine and all I did was remove the card. That is when the trouble started. I also went into device manager and deleted all the (USB) drivers and then let windows reinstall them on startup and that did not work neither. So my three main concerns are this

1) Getting my "F" keys to be recognized so I can get into boot order.

2) Getting all USB ports working again

3) Getting rid of the error message on startup of "hkcmd"

MODEL NUMBER: HP PAVILLION 754n

PRODUCT - #DA193A-ABA

SN: MX306C5351

SW BOM: NA92
HARDWARE BOM: 101
SOFTWARE BUILD: 31NAheBLU4
SERVICE ID: 032-303

MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP
HOME EDITION
VERSION 2002
SERVICE PACK 3

55277-OEM-0011903-00106

Pentium 4 CPU 2.53GHz
2.53GHz 760 MB RAM

80 GIG HARD DRIVE

Thank you for taking the time to come read this and help ;-)

http://h10025.www1.h...uct=296688#N417

peace out,
daddy

Edited by daddy, 25 March 2011 - 04:21 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What happens if you take out the PCI card?

daddy

daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
I tried that and the USB ports built into the computer are still dead. I have tried all sort's of combinations. Unplugging the power and plugging back in after 5 minutes...rebooting with the keyboard and mouse plugged into all the different ports and no luck. The only time my computer recognizes the mouse and keyboard is when I put the PCI card back in and reinstall the drivers for it. Then the keyboard and mouse come to life BUT the computer is not recognizing the hot keys on the keyboard (F1, F2, etc...) and that is when I need them is on boot up at the welcome or logo screen and they are not working. And all was just fine up till a few days ago when I removed the card and booted the computer to do the recovery ( I did not do the recovery because I had to...I was just doing it so the new owner would have the computer like it was just out of the box when they got it and of course to erase all my garbage...this computer has ran fine for it's whole life!!!)

peace out,
daddy

Edited by daddy, 25 March 2011 - 04:28 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
daddy
I am not sure, but this may have caused the problem.
When you use a recovery partition or recovery discs that will return the computer to factory condition you should always take out any added hardware that was NOT installed at manufacture
You should also disconnect any external devices that were not included. ie: any external drives etc. so that you end up only with keyboard mouse and monitor and if the original PS2 keyboard or mouse have been replaced with USB you should return to the PS2.
The reason being of course that the recovery partition/discs will format the drive and reinstall the O/S and only those drivers that were originally included.
In effect you should follow the procedure here.

Recovering the system without using Windows
  • Disconnect all peripherals and internal non pre-installed devices from the PC, except the monitor, keyboard, and mouse.
  • Turn on the computer.
  • When the initial blue HP screen appears, press the F10 key repeatedly until a recovery menu appears. The progress indicator that first appears does not indicate that a recovery is taking place. The progress indicator represents the time before the recovery process
    is started.
  • When the Recovery screen appears, click Next, and then click Yes to perform a normal, non-destructive recovery.
  • To perform a destructive recovery, click Advanced, and then click Yes.
  • After the System Recovery is complete, and the computer starts successfully, update the computer software as follows:
  • Anti-virus, HP Drivers, Windows Update
  • Then commence reinstall of other hardware etc., and drivers as necessary
I do know what a PCI USB card is - presumably added to provide you with an additional USB port for the external drive, although I see the computer had 4 on the I/O plate

With respect, but I will stand corrected AND I apologise if I have misunderstood I still opine that

F8 key to take me to the bios to change the boot order

The quote from YOUR post
F8 never took you to BIOS.

Are the mouse and keyboard USB or PS2.
If they are USB, although you say the ones everyone uses, the answer was to enable usb legacy support in the BIOS.
Posted Image

The Intel hkcmd is
Process name: Intel Hotkey command activator
Product:
Company:
File: hkcmd.exe
Security Rating: Posted Image

"hkcmd.exe" is Intel's "extreme" grahics hot key interceptor. If you never use the Intel hotkeys, you can go to Control Panel > Intel Extreme Graphics > Hot Keys and turn them off. Posted Image
and as far as I know nothing to do with entering BIOS on F1, F2 or any other F key.
HOWEVER the error message may well be the cause of the problem.
as I strongly suspect that were you able to solve that message , there would then be another error.

My feeling is that the only answer is a format and reinstall again.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Mac another option to try is to clear the cmos.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Daddy
Re the Moderators post 7.

Clearing the CMOS settingsThe (3-pin JBAT1 jumper allows you to clear the date, time, and system setup parameter memories in CMOS. The onboard button cell battery powers the RAM data in CMOS, including system setup information.Back to top
CAUTION: Do not change any jumper setting while the computer is on. Damage to the motherboard can result.
  • Turn off the PC and unplug the power cord.
  • Move the JBAT1 jumper cap from pins 1-2 (normal) to pins 2-3 (clear CMOS).Posted ImagePosted Image
  • Keep the JBAT1 jumper cap on pins 2-3 for 5 to 10 minutes, then move it back to pins 1-2.
  • Plug in the power cord and turn on the PC.
  • Enter the BIOS setup to change the BIOS settings.

daddy

daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Hi again....Maybe I am not writing things out clear so I will try again. Sorry for that. I will put things in sequence of exactly what has happened.

1) Bought a new HP Pavillion

2) Unplugged my perfectly working HP 754n (the one we are talking about) and put it aside.

3) Decided I wanted to take my UBS PCI card of the 754n and put in my new computer so I opened up the old computer and pulled the card out. Upon opening the case of my new computer I discovered the slots were not compatible so I close it back up and put the USB card BACK into the 754n. At no time has the 754n been powered back up yet.

4) Last night I decide I was going to do the system recovery so I hooked my old computer back up. The only things I hooked up were the mouse and the keyboard into the same USB slots I have used since day 1 that are built into the 754n. Never used PS2 connections even though there are 2 of them. I did a recovery back in 2008 on this same computer and it went smoothly, BTW. Anyhow. no other external hardware is hooked up.

5) Powered up the computer to make sure everything works and that is when I discovered the mouse did not work nor the keyboard did not even light up...had to hold in the power button for 5 seconds to get the box to shut down. Then I connected the mouse and keyboard back into the PCI USB port and rebooted. When it got to the desktop I got a message of hardware found and the drivers automatically installed for the PCI port and then the mouse and keyboard worked. I figure, that is ok because after I do the recovery from the discs all will be well.

6) So I went to the link I pasted above a followed the instructions to boot from the discs. I did a shut off from start on the computer and then turned it back on and started pressing on the ESC key and nothing. It booted normally/ I then shut down and restarted again this time pressing on the f10 key and nothing...it booted normal. I did this over and over with every kind of combination you can think of and it WILL NOT RECOGNIZE any of those keys on boot up. It just boots into normal windows mode.

7) So that is when I remembered I could do a recovery from within the computer itself (Programs) since I had a "D drive" partioned off for that. So, that is what I did through "HP Tools". I figured this would solve all the issues as well.

8) Did the internal recovery and all problems remain with the error message I outlined above.

So there you go from start to now.

Do you want me to proceed with the clearing the CMOS????

Thank you

peace out,
daddy

Edited by daddy, 25 March 2011 - 09:41 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
That computer was not I think supplied with a usb keyboard and mouse. I realise you say since day ONE usb K/B and mouse.
Many are of course, some in fact have no PS2 ports on the I/O plate.

I still am of the opinion and your restatement of the facts, has not changed anything, that when you have formatted and reinstalled the usb legacy support for the keyboard and mouse is not enabled.

The time to sort out the problem was I think BEFORE the reinstall from the recovery partition, after you removed the card, I do not think it was a good move to rely on the recovery to fix the problem. However I more than appreciate that this is of no help NOW

The error on the hkcmd may I think tend to suggest that the recovery from the partition was not executed by the system correctly.
Obviously many possible reasons.

In my opinion you have three options.
1. Try the CMOS reset as suggested by the Moderator, I really cannot see why you have waited on thos suggestion, as you have absolutely nothing to lose if it does not work.
2. Connect a PS2 keyboard and see if that solves the problem.
3. Start again.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 26 March 2011 - 02:41 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
According to this HERE from HP the MOBO installed in that system does have PS2 connections. See the pic about 2\3 of the way down the page.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I agree, that was what I saw.

That computer was not I think supplied with a usb keyboard and mouse. I realise you say since day ONE usb K/B and mouse.

That I think is why the solution maybe to connect a PS2 keyboard.

I think his F10 may then get him into BIOS setup

Edited by Macboatmaster, 26 March 2011 - 07:14 PM.

daddy

daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Thank you both for your input. This may be a case of memory failure on my part then for I had this computer since 2003 I think so maybe I did start out with PS2 connections? It just seems like I had the USB stuff forever now. So, I will now proceed to reset the CMOS and I will borrow a PS2 mouse and keyboard and give it a whirl. I will report back when done. Thank you both for your time....

peace out,
daddy

daddy

daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Ok...got a chance to try again and no go. I did the CMOS clearing thing and even went and got an old PS2 keyboard and mouse. I fired her up and it saw the mouse but not the keyboard. So, I did another system recovery from with the HP Recovery center and after all was said and done, the keyboard still wasn't recognized so I plugged back in the USB one to the PCI card because the other built in ones still do not work. So, I restart and try to enter into BIOS and the same results as before...nothing...it will not enter into ANY setup screen or recovery screen therefore not allowing me to boot from the factory CD's. I have never had this happen before and it is frustrating the heck out of me because I have a sale pending on this. Is there any way to have the computer boot from the CD by setting something in the msconfig tabs????

Please help me get this figured

Thanks

peace out,
daddy

daddy

daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Figured I would report back my findings so it may help someone. I took my box into the shop and found out the PS2 keyboard I borrowed was bad so that explained it not working. They tested it with their own PS2 keyboard in the shop and booted right into my BIO's!!! They told me the reason I couldn't boot to BIOS from the PCI USB port is because it loads after the OS so the system does not see it until then. Only the internal USB and PS2 slots will it recognize on startup which makes sense to me. So they let me borrow the keyboard and they set my bios to boot from CD so when I get home all I have to do is fire her up and run the 8 recovery discs and be done with it.

Well, as fate would have it I get home and get everything all set up and plugged together and go to turn on the computer and it will not come on now! On the back the green light is on indicating power is going in but when I hit the power button on the front, nothing. So I unplug and replug the cord back in and I notice the fans come on for a split second and then go right off. The computer will still not start. So I try all combinations of cords and waiting time to plug back in the power cord and so forth and nothing. So now I am thinking Power supply and if it is not that then I know it is the motherboard because all the connections are fine. So, I take it to the shop today and they plugged in a new power supply and nothing. They ran a few more tests and gave me the bad news...motherboard is shot and so are the power capacitors and they said I had a heat sink missing which I cannot figure how for the life of me because I have done all the work on the computer since day one and never left any parts out, so????

Anyhow, she is dead so I will just part her out for a couple bucks I suppose. In any case, I wanted to post the results so it may help others in the future with the different problems I went through.

Thanks to all who helped on this thread and this is a great community here ;-) Keep up the great work and service because it is appreciated

peace out,
daddy