Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Intel ProSet "problems applying profile"

• Please log in to reply

vayshti

vayshti

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
My Dell Inspiron 6400 has been using Intel Proset Wireless (currently version 11.5.0.0, driver 11.5.0.32) since I bought it in 2006.

I've had a new ISP since December, but my problem only has been happening recently (last few weeks), and I've not actively changed anything.

I'll be noodling along on my home connection and it will suddenly drop out. There is no obvious regularity to the drop outs.

Proset still lists a bunch of connections, including my own, as visible and available. However when I try to connect, it gives me a "Problem Applying Profile!" box, and will not connect.

I'm currently having to reboot my computer when this happens to reconnect.

Please let me know what other information you need to help solve this. Thanks!

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Try uninstalling and reinstalling the program. Or better yet, just install the latest version of the drivers and don't actually use the PROSet software. Windows has very good built in wireless connection software to connect and manage wifi connections.

Also another thought, do other computers do this also or just your own?

vayshti

vayshti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
While there's another computer, as well as an i-Touch and a blu-ray player with internet capabilities, I've not been using any of them at the same time to see if they also suffered hiccups when my computer did. Nor have they had issues when I've used them at other times - but given the sporadic nature of the problem, and how rarely I use any of them, I wouldn't want to use that rule out that it might be bigger than this machine.

I'm hoping to get a log of this issue happening again before I start mucking about with reinstallation or ignoring certain software (because I don't trust that I won't make things worse - I'll have miswritten something, or created a conflict, or, or ), especially as it's been solid for four years.

Typically, after playing up twice this morning, it's not done it since I started logging and put in this request.

Given that this doesn't seem to be that common and there isn't an obvious troubleshoot, I'm going to wait until I have a log of what's going on, if that's okay?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yeah not a problem, these random ones are tricky sometimes. Let me know what you find out when you find it out. :D

vayshti

vayshti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Okay, I've got a log now, although I'm not sure what I'm looking at. There is a definite error message logged, but isolated from the rest of the stuff around it, it doesn't say much:

116 IWA 03/27/2011 13:43:17 Error Connection Problem applying Profile!. Apply profile function failed.

Is there a better way to present the log to you than as a copy pasta in here? Or is there specific data I can extract from it for you?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
To be honest it sounds like it could be a router issue. Applying the profile is just terminology to cover that it's connecting to the wireless network using the saved settings. If they worked before, they should work again. But if the router is starting to die then that could explain why the profile can't be applied, why the connection can't be made.

Do you have any others to swap over and test? Perhaps borrow a friend's?

vayshti

vayshti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I do have another modem/router I can swap out - I still have the Netgear one I was given in 2006, so it's getting on. The current one is a Thompson, that was part of the package with my supplier. If I can properly show that it's faulty, and nothing to do with my machine, I should be able to get a replacement free of charge, as we've only had it since December.

But for me to swap it out with the Netgear as a test? Not so easy - you'd probably have to hand hold me on how to get all the necessary specs and settings to get the Netgear one running properly. I do at least have a guide on using 3rd party modems with my supplier, but I'm still not confident.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hand holding... hmmm... makes me think of walking with my little kids, not helping you with a router! :D I love my kids to be sure.

OK back on topic, can you please link the exact model Netgear that you have. Also there will be some parts I can't help you with, such as the username/password setup to connect it to the internet. For that you would need to have that information provided to you by your ISP.

Cheers

vayshti

vayshti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Yep, totally a toddler me - I try to go it alone, but then I'll face-plant and there'll be tears...

Here's the link to the guide I mentioned: https://www.bethere....th_Be_broadband

The Netgear is a DG834G-3ALUKS

The Thompson is a TG585 u7.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I am very familiar with the DG834G series, I used to have the DG834GT myself and have worked with quite a few different models from the same series. The exact one you have, I have not worked with, however. But I expect it's because you are from the UK and therefore it would be similar but simply have localised options to your country. That website has a bunch of helpful information.

So basically what you want to do is setup the old Netgear to connect to the internet with those settings you have linked to in that webpage. Then create a new wireless network and configure the wireless settings on your computer to match. The key point is that all of this would need to be done with an ethernet cable connection.

Then once it's all done, disconnect the ethernet cable and connect to the wireless network you have just created. Then you can continue on testing whether the problem occurs.

Let me know where you get up to.

vayshti

vayshti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Just a heads up that I was hoping to get to this before my stuff arrived. (109 boxes. From Oz. Gonna take a while to unpack.)
I didn't manage it - but I expect I'll get to trial this over the weekend. So I'll report back on Monday.

Cheers!

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I didn't send you anything! 109 boxes, it sounds big no matter what it is. I'll pass on assisting with that bit! :D