Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I keep gettin Blue Screens and don't know what do to! Help

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
The warning on the ISATAP adaptor relates to internet connection using IPv4 /6 which is basicallly an enhanced TCP/IP

Double click on the adaptor to read the message - of the warning and the code ie: might be Code 31.

See this
http://support.micro...kb;EN-US;932520

Re the warning on bluetooth device you will probably find it simply says device not installed. or similar.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 31 March 2011 - 06:26 PM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
After you have done that please run a system file check.
To determine whether the issue that you are experiencing is caused by one or more system files that are used by Windows Vista, run the System File Checker tool. The System File Checker tool scans system files and replaces incorrect versions of the system files by using the correct versions.

To run the System File Checker tool, follow these steps:
  • Click Star and then type cmd in the Start Search box.
  • Right-click cmd in the Programs list, and then click Run as administrator.
    If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue
  • At the command prompt, the following line, and then press ENTER:sfc /scannow - note the space pls between sfc and /scannow

Edited by Macboatmaster, 28 March 2011 - 03:57 PM.

poohfam

poohfam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
All four of the errors in the Device Manager were "Code 31" so that doesn't look to be a problem. I've included the attachment of the System Scan below. I tried to zip the log file from the scan but it still appears to be too big by about .20 MB. Is the log file something you'd like to see? If so, do you have a suggestion of how I can get it to you? Thank you again.

Attached Thumbnails

• System Scan.jpg

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
You really need to establish what those files are, as they could indeed be the cause of the blue screens.
Do you have the Vista Installation DVD

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

For the log
For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post download link.

Acknowledgement to rshaffer61

Edited by Macboatmaster, 28 March 2011 - 04:47 PM.

poohfam

poohfam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I ran the process that was described in the Microsoft support page that you provided and the log from that process is attached here. These are the four files that could not be repaired in the original process. Would you still like to see the entire log file? If so, I can upload it to the site you and your collegue provided. I am unable to find my original Vista DVD. Do you have a suggestion of how to repair these? Could these be the cause of my problems? Thank you again.

Attached Files

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
The files that sfc cannot repair are IF THEY are only those in the log are of no consequence.
an sfc scannow /cannot repair member file [1:25 {12} "settings in microsoft-windows-sidebar.

They are NOT in my opinion the cause of the BSOD

I presume you do not use the sidebar
Posted Image

If you wanted to and found that becuase the system file check reports those file cannot be verified you may find you could not open or change the sidebar.
However at this stage a matter of no consequence I think.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 28 March 2011 - 05:26 PM.

poohfam

poohfam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
No, I've never used the sidebar in Vista. Because they are of no consequence, do you think I can assume that the Blue Screen problems were the result of the conflict between Avast and Threatfire? For what its worth, my computer has been on constantly for the last 24 hours and has not had a Blue Screen. That is an acheviement as I was getting one about once a day before I asked you for help.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I was just waiting for your reply to the sidebar.
I think the best is to test as you see fit and of course post back as you wish.
I think the problem as I said from the start was threatfire and avast, when I say I did, perhaps I should say - Who Crashed did.
A lot of helping on this forum is knowing which utility/ analysis program is available.

Good luck.
Pleased to have helped in some small way.

poohfam

poohfam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
You have helped greatly!! Thank you again for all of your help!!!

poohfam

poohfam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I just got the Blue Screen again a few minutes ago. This is terrible. I got one Tuesday and used WhoCrashed to see that Threatfire was the cause of it again. In turn, I removed Threatfire completely. Today, I got the Blue Screen again, even without Threatfire. I've included the WhoCrashed dump here. I'm sorry I must ask for your help again. Thank you again for your help.

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Thu 3/31/2011 1:52:10 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini033111-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: fltmgr.sys (fltmgr+0x1C977)
Bugcheck code: 0xF5 (0x68, 0xFFFFFFFFBD2F4650, 0xFFFFFFFFBD2F467C, 0x0)
Error: FLTMGR_FILE_SYSTEM
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\fltmgr.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Microsoft Filesystem Filter Manager
Bug check description: This indicates that an unrecoverable failure occurred in the Filter Manager.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

On Thu 3/31/2011 1:52:10 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: fltmgr.sys (fltmgr!FltReleaseFileNameInformation+0x43)
Bugcheck code: 0xF5 (0x68, 0xFFFFFFFFBD2F4650, 0xFFFFFFFFBD2F467C, 0x0)
Error: FLTMGR_FILE_SYSTEM
Bug check description: This indicates that an unrecoverable failure occurred in the Filter Manager.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

On Tue 3/29/2011 3:56:56 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini032911-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: tffsmon.sys (TfFsMon+0x33D4)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFF834253D4, 0xFFFFFFFFB3F5BB34, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: tffsmon.sys .
Google query: tffsmon.sys KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

On Fri 3/25/2011 11:14:06 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini032511-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: tcpip.sys (tcpip+0x4E32A)
Bugcheck code: 0xBE (0xFFFFFFFF9621C264, 0xFFFFFFFF92876101, 0xFFFFFFFF8D25DAC8, 0xB)
Error: ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\tcpip.sys
description: TCP/IP Driver
Bug check description: This is issued if a driver attempts to write to a read-only memory segment.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.

On Thu 3/24/2011 11:00:38 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini032411-02.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: tfsysmon.sys (TfSysMon+0x7B86)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000006, 0xFFFFFFFF82AB3071, 0xFFFFFFFFB35AAABC, 0x0)
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: tfsysmon.sys .
Google query: tfsysmon.sys KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

On Thu 3/24/2011 8:06:25 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini032411-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: aswsnx.sys (aswSnx+0x9DF0)
Bugcheck code: 0xC5 (0x4, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFFFFF82B03010)
Error: DRIVER_CORRUPTED_EXPOOL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\aswsnx.sys
product: avast! Antivirus System
company: AVAST Software
description: avast! Virtualization Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that the system attempted to access invalid memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: aswsnx.sys (avast! Virtualization Driver, AVAST Software).
Google query: aswsnx.sys AVAST Software DRIVER_CORRUPTED_EXPOOL

On Tue 3/22/2011 2:16:13 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini032211-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: aswtdi.sys (aswTdi+0x40EB)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFF9002752F, 0xFFFFFFFF8BD61774, 0x0)
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\aswtdi.sys
description: avast! TDI Filter Driver
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: aswtdi.sys (avast! TDI Filter Driver, AVAST Software).
Google query: aswtdi.sys AVAST Software KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

On Tue 3/22/2011 3:58:11 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini032111-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: tfsysmon.sys (TfSysMon+0x7B86)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFF82AC2F9C, 0xFFFFFFFFB70A5AC0, 0x0)
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: tfsysmon.sys .
Google query: tfsysmon.sys KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

On Fri 3/18/2011 8:42:26 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini031811-02.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlpa.exe (nt+0xCDB3F)
Bugcheck code: 0x19 (0x22, 0x10000000, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: BAD_POOL_HEADER
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a pool header is corrupt.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Fri 3/18/2011 2:24:37 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini031811-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlpa.exe (nt+0xCDB3F)
Bugcheck code: 0xC2 (0xD, 0xFFFFFFFFAF71EC98, 0xFFFFFFFFEE657645, 0xFFFFFFFFAF71ECB8)
Error: BAD_POOL_CALLER
Bug check description: This indicates that the current thread is making a bad pool request.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Thu 3/17/2011 6:03:23 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini031711-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: afd.sys (afd+0x24F6)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0xFFFFFFFF9961E708, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFF90C1B4F6)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\afd.sys
description: Ancillary Function Driver for WinSock
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.

On Tue 3/15/2011 8:44:54 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini031511-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: tffsmon.sys (TfFsMon+0x33D4)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFF834233D4, 0xFFFFFFFFAC7A0B34, 0x0)
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: tffsmon.sys .
Google query: tffsmon.sys KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

On Mon 3/14/2011 12:30:51 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini031311-02.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: aswsnx.sys (aswSnx+0x1291C)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFF82AFBA9B, 0xFFFFFFFFAB5496E8, 0x0)
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\aswsnx.sys
description: avast! Virtualization Driver
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: aswsnx.sys (avast! Virtualization Driver, AVAST Software).
Google query: aswsnx.sys AVAST Software KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

On Sat 3/12/2011 5:34:59 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini031311-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlpa.exe (nt+0xB213D)
Bugcheck code: 0x21 (0x0, 0x1, 0x10000000, 0xD1E6C28)
Error: QUOTA_UNDERFLOW
Bug check description: This indicates that quota charges have been mishandled by returning more quota to a particular block than was previously charged.

On Fri 3/11/2011 8:10:54 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini031111-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: fltmgr.sys (fltmgr+0x2AB8)
Bugcheck code: 0xC2 (0x7, 0x110B, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFF99C9F930)
Error: BAD_POOL_CALLER
Bug check description: This indicates that the current thread is making a bad pool request.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Conclusion
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

17 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. Only 15 are included in this report. 7 third party drivers have been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

aswsnx.sys (avast! Virtualization Driver, AVAST Software)

aswtdi.sys (avast! TDI Filter Driver, AVAST Software)

tfsysmon.sys

tffsmon.sys

If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination the errors that have been reported for these drivers and include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions from users who have been experiencing similar problems.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Bug Check 0xF5: FLTMGR_FILE_SYSTEM
The FLTMGR_FILE_SYSTEM bug check has a value of 0x000000F5. This indicates that an unrecoverable failure occurred in the Filter Manager.

Important Information If You Have Received a STOP Code
If you have received a blue screen error, or stop code, the computer has shut down abruptly to protect itself from data loss. A hardware device, its driver, or related software might have caused this error.

The following actions might prevent an error like this from happening again:

• Download and install updates and device drivers for your computer from Windows Update.
  • Scan your computer for computer viruses.
  • Check your hard disk for errors.
FLTMGR_FILE_SYSTEM Parameters
The following parameters are displayed on the blue screen. Parameter 1 indicates the type of violation. The meaning of the other parameters depends on the value of Parameter 1.

0x68

Handle for the object.

NTSTATUS code returned by ObReferenceObjectByHandle

Unexpected failure referencing an object.

THE ONLY TWO CRASH DUMPS relevant appear to be the first two
This depends on the time of the third listed crash dump on the 29 March as that thfsmon is threat fire - threat fire file system monitor - but I think that was before you uninstalled it.

I would recommend that you run a chkdsk /r
Check again for any driver updates, albeit that there may be no warning on Device Manager it is still best to install the latest drivers., paying particular attention to you network drivers.
I would then check for any Windows updates

CHKDSK
Go to
Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click YIf the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.#

Chkdsk tutuorial for Windows7 and Vista
http://www.w7forums....-disk-t448.html

Edited by Macboatmaster, 31 March 2011 - 10:41 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
After you have done that and just to ensure ourselves that the ram is OK please.run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-2.11.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-2.11.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-2.11.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run. You may have to change the boot sequence in your BIOS to make it work right.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS
Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the "errors" line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

Posted with acknowledgement with rshaffer61

Edited by Macboatmaster, 31 March 2011 - 11:10 AM.

poohfam

poohfam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I thought I would keep you updated: Because of the time associated with the processes you recommended above, I'm not going to be able to run them until Saturday but I just got another Blue Screen. I've attached the WhoCrashed dump below. FYI, both after both Blue Screens today, when the computer rebooted, I got the small popup from AVAST saying that the virus definitions had been updated. Perhaps Avast attempting to update its definitions is causing the problem? Thank you again.

On Thu 3/31/2011 11:26:20 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini033111-02.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: aswsp.sys (aswSP+0x1F431)
Bugcheck code: 0xC5 (0xFFFFFFFF9581C37C, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFFFFF82AFB010)
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\aswsp.sys
description: avast! self protection module
Bug check description: This indicates that the system attempted to access invalid memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: aswsp.sys (avast! self protection module, AVAST Software).
Google query: aswsp.sys AVAST Software DRIVER_CORRUPTED_EXPOOL

On Thu 3/31/2011 11:26:20 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: aswsp.sys (aswSP+0x1F431)
Bugcheck code: 0xC5 (0xFFFFFFFF9581C37C, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFFFFF82AFB010)
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\aswsp.sys
description: avast! self protection module
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: aswsp.sys (avast! self protection module, AVAST Software).
Google query: aswsp.sys AVAST Software DRIVER_CORRUPTED_EXPOOL

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
After quite a long research of the Avast forum and prompted by your last post
I would UININSTALL AVAST version 6.

I would then personally use Microsoft Security Essentials.
It is recommended here on GeekstoGo.

http://www.geekstogo...yware-software/

However that of course must be your decision
Many people have experienced the same as you and have solved the problem by uninstalling Avast6 and installing Avast5
However my own personal opinion is that it cannot be right to have other than the latest version of an anti-virus.
See this link to confirm the situation - HOWEVER in fairness to Avast it has always been thought to be NOT Avast per se, but a program or task that Avast aswsp cannot get on with. This aswsp is the Avast Self Protection and Behaviour Shield. It caused problems here as well
Thanks for dump - it really looks like a synchronization problem inside aswsp.sys driver, it's obvious what caused the crash and it should be fixed on Monday. That is a quote from the Avast forum with an issue in Avast 5.
http://forum.avast.c...p?topic=73795.0

Edited by Macboatmaster, 31 March 2011 - 06:35 PM.