Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

initializing installation problems

• Please log in to reply

dpb510

dpb510

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey! Let me say thanks right up front! Newbies like myself :tazz: , find that, Geeks to Go, are doing an incredable service for the rest of us! Most of what little I already know, has been gleaned just from reading other posts. And following the advice/guides that has been given. ;)
My topic is...I recently downloaded Zonealarms newest update, and just today I did the same with Ad-aware. Now the initializing icon appears but, then both of these hang and will not continue to download. No problems with other downloads.
I've used both of these apps for many yrs with out any problems before.
I also use AVG free, Spybot, SpywardGuard, SpySubtract, Ewido, and A-Squared with newest updates every week. All O/S updates applied. Use IE and Mozilla.
My PC is fast and runs great with out any other problems! Security set to high? ;) Any ideas?

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Greetings dpb510! Welcome to Geeks to Go. In behalf of the fine staff here, let me thank you for the compliment. Like you, I think the folks here do an outstanding job providing assistance to this community.

To your question, what browser are you using for these download? I have been using Zonealarm for years, and AdAware too, and never had a problem downloading them with any browser (Opera, Firefox or IE). I generally use Firefox as my primary browser, IE secondary. It could be your security settings on IE, but as I recall IE generally gives a small popup asking if you want to download anyhow...? Give it another shot and maybe try another browser?

Guest_yezpahr_*

Guest_yezpahr_*
I wanted to say the same thing.

My uncle (the one with trashed motherboard) tried to do the same thing. He used Opera and IE after Opera failed. He couldn't get them correctly (download done in 1 millisecond and at opening Winzip is crying that it isn't a correct winzip file :confusion: ) Well, try Mozilla FireFox. It worked for him.

Also, after he installed Zone Alarm and did an update of AVG and AD-Aware, he had problems with Zone-Alarm, maybe these tow programmes aren't ment to be with eachother.

dpb510

dpb510

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks austin o and vezpahr for taking the time to reply. I tried what you suggested. Used Firefox for download. And in safe mode. Having no problem with the actual download. But still the installation wizard hangs. I noticed today that my HD sounds as if it's in a loop. Makes the same sound over and over. Any other ideas? :tazz: