Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows 7 will load in one tower not in another

• Please log in to reply

pdark

pdark

• Pip
  • 2 posts
First off i have 2 computers. On my new computer which is running windows 7 i recently got a very nasty piece of malware on it. It caused my system to constantly hang so trying to get rid of it became futile. I decided i would add it as a slave to my other computer which has windows xp running on it. When it loaded up as a slave for some odd reason it converted it to a RAW format essentially formatting all my information on it. After converting back to a NFTS format i recovered my files back onto it and figured hey that must have got rid of the virus so i put into my new tower and loaded it up, same issues its RAM was being eaten up and was still constantly hanging. Realising it was still infected i threw it back onto my old tower as a slave and attempted to get rid of the viruses with Kaspersky, once again i ran into some issues, whenever Kaspersky found the malware the HDD would become undetected therefoe not allowing me to delete these files as it could no longer locate them. Id like to also note that i could move files over from the infected HDD files etc and it would remain detected as soon as i scanned it with any antivirus programs it would become undetected. I had decided to leave my infected HDD as it was on my old com for now and try to fix it at a later date, unfortunately after a windows xp update and restart it no longer loads with the HDD attached as a slave to it anymore, why? i have no idea.

I put it back into my new tower but windows 7 no longer loaded up on it anymore at all, repairing it didnt work either. By this time i had had enough and decided i was just going to reformat the bloody thing and install windows 7 back onto it. I had an issue here, i bought my towers and have no physical windows discs, i downloaded windows 7 iso and burnt it to a dvd and attempted to run it off my cd/dvd drive. I got to the screen where you select your device to load windows onto, it couldnt detect any drivers, eg it wasnt detecting my HDD even though in my BIOS it was clearly there and connected. By this time i was extremely mad, I grabbed another HDD i had lying around and used that one instead same thing, it refused to detect it even though it was detecting it through the BIOS menu.

I then had an epiphany i put the HDD into my old com, loaded the windows 7 iso, this tower had no issues detecting the HDD, after 30 mins i had windows 7 on this HDD working fine. I then put this HDD into my new tower to load it, IT WONT LOAD IT the windows logo comes up it goes to load it and i get a windows error and it makes me do a launch startup repair or start windows normally, i dont have an option to start in safe mode. The repair doesnt work these are the results

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: StartupRepairOffline
Problem Signature01: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature02: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature03: unknown
Problem Signature04: 21200564
Problem Signature05: AutoFailover
Problem Signature06: 6
Problem Signature07: NoRootCause
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Im at a loss as to explain how this hdd will load on my old tower and work perfectly fine but not be able to load on my new com and not load, im assuming i have a hardware issue in my new tower?

Also im not sure whether i should have posted this in the windows 7 section, my problems started with malware and im not sure whether this is still a malware issue, a hardware issue, or a windows 7 issue. I apologise if i have posted in the wrong area.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You can't install 7 to one hard drive on one machine then take said drive to another one and expect it t work. The installation will be looking for the original hardware, and if you introduce it instead to something entirely new it won't be very happy and therefore will show you a shiny blue screen instead.

What you need to do is install Win7 on the hard drive on each machine. Also be aware that, unless you have the Family Pack, you are supposed to have two separate licences for those machines. You can't just keep swapping the drives and expect it to work where the hardware is radicly different.