Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unrequested random “Restart”

• Please log in to reply

LiamB

LiamB

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
System is a PC running XP Pro (SP3)

I get a unrequested restart randomly on my PC. Normally it smoothly moved into complete restart but on one occasion I had a full unrequested shutdown. G2G have helped me eliminate any malware problems, so I’m starting a new thread here. I assume I have a possible hardware fault and I need some help in running any diagnostics G2G may have access to.

I have removed, checked and reseated the CPU assembly. Removed and reseated the RAM PCBs, went over all connectors and made sure they are all fully engaged. Result: no change to the random restares. Discovered the existance of the “Event Viewer” and see some Red Flash Error messages but in general do not know how to read this log.

So. Can G2G please help me get started on the diagnoses? Ta, LiamB

Advertisements

CMGreene

CMGreene

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I am no where near a expert.. but I have had this problem in the past on a machine that had the same issue. It had a on-board sound card that was causing a conflict in windows and would just restart the entire system. Not sure if this helps at all.. but all I did was get a $30 sound card from best-buy, disable the on-board sound and never had a issue after that.

Gl with the fix.

Chris

LiamB

LiamB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hi Chris. I have an "Audigy 2" sound card fitted. I will store that comment for next time I get inside the PC and will disable then. Thamks. LiamB

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download Speedfan (The download link is to the right), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard.
  • It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
  • Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image

LiamB

LiamB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hi rshaffer61. As requested here is Speedfan data. Speedfan 2.JPG

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well that shows voltages and temps to be good so it does not seem to be a PSU issue.
  • Please download the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso VEW and save it to your Desktop:
  • Double-click VEW.exe
  • Under 'Select log to query', select (as appropriate):
    • Application
    • System
  • Under 'Select type to list', select (as appropriate):
    • Error
    • Information
    • Warning
Then use the 'Date of events' or 'Number of events' as follows:

Either:
  • Click the radio button for 'Number of events'
    Type 3 in the 1 to 20 box (or any number from 1 to 20)
    Then click the Run button.
    Notepad will open with the output log.

• Click the radio button for 'Date of events'
    In the From: boxes type today's date (presuming the crash happened today) 26 03 2011
    In the To: boxes type today's date (presuming the crash happened today) 26 03 2011
    Then click the Run button.
    Notepad will open with the output log.
Please post the Output log in your next reply

LiamB

LiamB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Here are the VEW.exe logs:

Attached File  VEW Log 1 Number.txt   5.64KB   178 downloads

Attached File  VEW Log 2 Date.txt   1.19KB   199 downloads

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK your errors are all over the place so I want to start with the following.

Go to

Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixes the problem

LiamB

LiamB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hi. Looks like a bit of a task. I'm away for two days. I need to put this on hold 'till then. Hope you're OK with that. Will be back to resume the process. Many thanks. LiamB

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem. Just post with the results and I will receive a email of your reply. :D

Advertisements

LiamB

LiamB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hi Rshaffer61. I was about to start the above "chkdsk /r" when I reread your warning: DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS” Since I’m involved in random restarts, am I at risk of severe problems? I will establish a system restore point before start of chkdsk. LiamB

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It is a possibility but I'm hoping when it reboots it will be stable in DOS where the program runs.

LiamB

LiamB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
OK Here goes! Will update you ASAP. (I hope!) LiamB

LiamB

LiamB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hi. Ran chkdsk /r and returned to PC 1 hr later. Looks like it finished and nothing to show! Was I to expect a report? Do I now "wait and see"? LiamB

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope the only results you will see is while the test is running it will tell you if it found any problems and if it was able to correct those problems.

Did the system reboot once it was done back into windows?
Any restarts on it own since the test finished?