Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC or not to PC, that is the Question

• Please log in to reply

mtguy8787

mtguy8787

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
A lot of computer noobs I talk to like to compare their $2500 Mac to their $300 PC. "I had a PC, then got a Mac, which was WAY faster than my PC. PCs suck."

"What PC did you have?"

Any many times it turns out their PC was running Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz w/cheap integrated graphics, or some crap like that.

Advertisements

gunn1

gunn1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
I Currently have a Acer aspire 5532. It works/runs well, just a little slow to start up, and while multi-tasking. I am currently looking at the HP Probook line, the lenovo thinkpad line and the dell latittude line. with the windows pro OS loaded in them. From $650 to $900 and change.

Any suggestions?

Gunn1

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Specific model recommendations, or just in general?

I've owned a Thinkpad and Latitude. Hard to beat a Dell Latitude with Complete Care warranty and Pro Support. Especially if the machine is likely to see some hard use. They'll repair or replace it with next day on-site, or overnight shipping. You only talk to top tier techs in the US. However, that option will likely kill your budget. Thinkpad's are rock-solid platforms too. Support just doesn't match that offered by Dell. I've owned a couple HP consumer notebooks, but not a Probook. They really don't compare so I can't offer much insight.

My Dell Latitude was a D430, "thin and light" notebook. It was amazing the abuse that it took. It survived many falls, a couple of toddlers, and even a spill. It was finally done in when I landed on it after slipping on the ice. While they offered to send someone out next day, I opted to send it to the depot for repair. The notebook I got back looked brand new. New case, keyboard, touchpad, screen, etc. They overnighted me a prepaid box to mail it in, and sent it back second day air. Took only a few days.

The only other time I had an issue the wireless card died. Within 5 minutes of calling, I had talked to a tech and had a new wireless card on the way. It arrived the next morning, along with a new case back (in case it was the antennae). Came with clear instructions, and I replaced it in another 5 minutes. None of the long hold times, or walking through scripts making sure you had it plugged in, etc.

gunn1

gunn1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Well I did it!! I went out and found what I think is a good work laptop. It is a Dell E6410 with a Intel®core™i7 CPU M640 @2.80 GHz 4 GB memory windows 7 pro with a 500 GB HDD. back lighted keyboard fingerprint reader and extended run battery. I also went with the Dell 2year warranty. So far I Really like it!!!!