Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7

• Please log in to reply

ginnyjoe

ginnyjoe

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
My sister brought me her fairly new computer this morning and when I turn it on it starts and then it shuts down right away. She has an acer with windows 7. She knows nothing about computers and I think she might have a virus problem. When the computer was purchased she did not get a recovery disk nor did she bring it to me to make one for her so now I am not sure what I can do. I can't get to anything on it at all. I tried to go to safe mode when it turns on but it just turns off and keeps restarting. Any help at all would be wonderful. If you can let me know what info you want on the computer I will get as much as I can Thank you.
:D
ginnyjoe

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
How new are you saying it is?
If there is a warranty still valid on it?
I would suggest taking it to the shop and letting them fix it under warranty.
It sounds like one of the below:
  • Heat caused by faulty or failed fan which most likely will be the CPU fan.
  • Motherboard
  • PSU

ginnyjoe

ginnyjoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Thank you that is what i will do. It is only 6 months old. Then I will make a recovery disc when she gets it back. :D

Edited by ginnyjoe, 26 March 2011 - 10:04 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would suggest if there is a virus not making a recovery set of disks till you are sure it is clean.
Also when you have it looked at I would advise you let them know if there is anything you want to save on the hd like pictures or data.
Not knowing the type of infection she may have it is going to be hard to tell what files can and cannot be saved.
In most instances they may just wipe the drive and do a fresh install depending on the issue.
Please let us know what they say what the issue is.
I'm willing to bet either PSU or Motherboard.

ginnyjoe

ginnyjoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Got the computer back and it was a dead hard drive. It was covered by the warranty. I now have an operating disk also. I ordered it from acer site and the price was really reasonable. Thanks for the help. This is the best site ever for anyone needing help. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you for letting us know what the final resolution was. Good job on getting the set of recovery disks from Acer. They are invaluable in times like this.
Congratulations ginnyjoe. :) for a successful resolution for your issue.

I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed us to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :yes: :unsure:
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible