Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Laptop won't stop rebooting

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

davemattf

davemattf

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

My Toshiba laptop will not stop rebooting. It never even loads the desktop. I have tried to go into safe mode but even that is prevented with more rebooting. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Advertisements

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,714 posts
Hi. :D

Can you confirm for myself if the Operating System installed on your machine is XP Service Pack 3 or not before we proceed any further. Also I take it you have access to another machine hence this post, does the aforementioned have a type of CD/DVD R or RW Optical Drive in case we need to transfer some tools. If not we can use a USB type drive if the need, thank you.

davemattf

davemattf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

Thanks for getting back. Yes on both counts.

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,714 posts
Hi. :D

Thanks for getting back. Yes on both counts.

You're welcome and thank you for the clarification. Lets proceed as follows shall we...

Do you have a copy of the XP installation CD-ROM at all?

Avira AntiVir Rescue System:

Please visit this webpage and download either the SFX or ISO file. If unsure which file to download/use opt for the SFX version as the setup is a tad more user friendly.

The below pertains to using the SFX file.

• If using a XP machine to create the rescue disk, double-click on rescue_system-common-en.exe, if either Vista or Windows 7 right-click on the executable on and select Run as Administrator.
Posted Image

• Click on Burn CD and then the status of the aforementioned window will change too:-
Posted Image

• Be patient as the creation of the Rescue Disk may take some time depending on the speed of the drive being used to burn/create it.
Posted Image

• When completed/created you will see the below:-
Posted Image

Note: After the rescue disk has been created place it in the CD drive of your infected machine and see if will boot-up correctly.

(Start-up you computer and during the POST(Power On Self Test) sequence continually depress Function Key 12(F12) to bring up the Boot Options screen >> select the CD/DVD Drive etc.

If this feature is not available you may have too: Set BIOS to Boot from CDROM)

If it does post back please and we can proceed from there. Do not do anything else for the time being, thank you.

Next:

Let myself know the outcome of the above and the answer to my question in your next reply, thank you.

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,714 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.