Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows Safety Scanner!

• Please log in to reply

garybear

garybear

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
Hello!!
I did a search for Windows Safety Scanner but I didn't find a lot. I hope this is the right place to post my question. I thought I had a clean PC, but after running this scanner I went from 15.7 GB of used space to 9.31GB of used space. That is unreal. My PC is running great. I have a 7 year old Dell with XP3.
Does Geeks to Go recommend this scanner?? I would like to hear some positive comments from members here before I recommend this to my friends.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Security software that Geeks2Go! recommends is listed here: http://www.geekstogo...yware-software/

garybear

garybear

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Security software that Geeks2Go! recommends is listed here: http://www.geekstogo...yware-software/

Hello!
OK thanks for your reply.I didn't find Windows Safety Scanner. Is it not recommenced by Geeks to Go??

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Administrator
  • 20,955 posts
  • MVP
Are you referring to the Windows Live Safety Scanner? I'm not clear what you're looking for. That's an online scanner that will check your PC for threats, but it's not meant to be used simply to free up space on your PC. If you're looking to do that, then I would recommend TFC.

garybear

garybear

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Are you referring to the Windows Live Safety Scanner? I'm not clear what you're looking for. That's an online scanner that will check your PC for threats, but it's not meant to be used simply to free up space on your PC. If you're looking to do that, then I would recommend TFC.

Yes, I'm talking about the online scanner. Thank you, I use TFC and also CCleaner to clean temps and junk off my PC. I'm also very picky about my registry and use Regseeker. I thought my C drive was pretty clean.Before running the scanner it showed 15.7 used space; after running scanner it showed 9.3 used space. That's 6.4GB difference. The scanner checks for viruses ,open ports, temps, defrag, and registry errors. That's the way I understand what it does. I guess it's safe, it's just that I can't believe I had that much junk on my PC and thought I would post here and see what the members here had to say about it.
Thank you for your reply.

garybear

garybear

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
I'm trying to find answers on my own. I found this link about how it cleans the registry and how you can restore it back before you ran the scanner!
http://onecare.live....cleaner_why.htm

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Administrator
  • 20,955 posts
  • MVP
Despite what that site says, our general policy here is to recommend not using registry cleaners. I suggest you read this and this. You run a very real risk of rendering your PC unusable if the wrong items are deleted, and having a backup doesn't do you a lot of good if you can't boot the PC at all. You'll get a lot more benefit from cleaning temp files and freeing up unused space than you'll get from cleaning the registry. I don't know why running the scanner cleaned up that much space on your PC, but I assume it's related to clearing temporary and unused files (not registry entries). As far as the program, we don't really have a stance on it on way or another.

garybear

garybear

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
Hi sari.
I understand why forums don't recommend Registry cleaners. I's no place to mess with if you don't understand what your doing. I always have a current back up image of my OS that I can restore with a linux CD. I have done that 2 or 3 times after goofing things up. My thinking that sense this was a program from Microsoft, it should be safe to use for those that don't want to mess or are not sure how to clean left over registry errors. There are several opinion about registry cleaners and I'm not arguing either way. You are 100% correct that a restore point isn't much good if you can't boot up. I just find it hard to believe that Uncle Bill would put out a program that would cause any thing like that to happen. Sense Geeks to Go is against Registry cleaners, I won't pursue this any farther. I guess I was just looking for some assurance that this program was safe to use.
I really thank you for your reply's.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Administrator
  • 20,955 posts
  • MVP
I'm not saying the program isn't safe. The malware removal portion was the basis for Microsoft Security Essentials, which I use and recommend. From my understanding, you don't have to run all the portions of the program, so I personally wouldn't recommend using that part, especially in light of the fact that it most likely won't help much. I don't see the point of obsessing over orphaned registry entries if they're not affecting anything.

garybear

garybear

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
OK Thanks a lot sari!! It's a big mystery to me how it reduced my used space that much :D Maybe it defraged my registry :D . Any way I'm pleased with the results and my PC is running great. Thanks again for your reply's