Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Want to upgrade power supply and graphics card

• Please log in to reply

Hugabuns

Hugabuns

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi everyone! I am going crazy trying to figure out what to buy to upgrade my power supply and graphics card on my computer. It is a Dell dimension 9150, pentium D, 2.8 Ghz, 2 Gb ram, Windows 7 ultimate, radeon x300 grahics card, 375 watts. I tried to watch a movie off the internet and it was lagging big time. I have been researching power supplies and graphics cards and now have a headache because there are so many different types and specs out there. I need to know what is the correct type of power supply that would fit my computer, and also what would be a decent graphics card for my computer. I am not looking to spend more than $250. Any suggestions out there? Thanking all in advance for any advice!

Also, I am looking to connect my pc to my hdtv in the future. I will need vga adaptor.

Edited by Hugabuns, 26 March 2011 - 02:52 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hi Hugabuns :D
Your present PSU is a BTX type which is slightly larger than the ATX type so you have room to spare.
GFX card: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814121415
PSU: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817139005

Hugabuns

Hugabuns

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi phillpower2! Thanks for the welcome and your reply. I will purchase your suggestions and hopefully my computer won't be such a dinosaur anymore! :D

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
No worries let us know how the upgrade goes or if we can help at all.
Heres a couple of guides to assist you;
http://www.geekstogo...r-own-computer/
http://asia.cnet.com...pc-62029763.htm

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.

Here is a post on the Dell forum. PhillPower2 PSU suggestion will work great but as there seems to be a hassle routing the cables you may want to consider a modular one.

> http://en.community....7/19772813.aspx

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
iammykyl is correct with regards to the modular type PSU being a neater option, but modular comes at an added cost and I was mindful of your budget, that asides I myself have never had a problem with keeping cables tidy it is mostly a matter of patience, if you havn`t already ordered here are a couple of modular PSUs for you to consider;
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817139012 7yr warranty, sli/crossfire capable and has headroom should you wish to add further upgrades or build your own system.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817371016 3yr warranty, not sli/crossfire capable but if you have no plans to do your own build in the future etc this is a very good and capable PSU.
A couple of additional benefits of having a good quality PSU are, they have a longer warranty and should you wish to upgrade again in the future you will not have to purchase another PSU.

Hugabuns

Hugabuns

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for your reply iammykyl. I had already read that info when i was exploring on how to upgrade my psu and graphics card.

Hugabuns

Hugabuns

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi phillpower2. Thanks for your suggestions. I did already place the order on your first suggestions for a graphics card and psu. That particular psu had longer cables, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that I won't have too many difficulties in installing it. Wish me luck!!! lol

Edited by Hugabuns, 27 March 2011 - 02:58 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
You will be fine, like I said having patiece will result in a tidy job,
having some plastic cable ties may be helpful.

Hugabuns

Hugabuns

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi phillpower2!! I just wanted to let you know that I received my new psu and graphics card. It took a little bit of fiddling, but I did it!!! I wanted to say "Thanks so much!" :D

salelm

salelm

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm having the same problem so i'll post here instead of starting a new topic.

I've got a Acer Aspire SA90 series desktop, I bought an ATI HD4830 and didn't realise it needed its own power station to run it. So, does anyone know of any PSU's that'll work and fit into my PC? Also, the cheaper the better. The PSUs on ATI's certified list all seem a bit pricey.

I'm usually alright when it comes to fiddling with my computer but trying to find a PSU has me totally stumped.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Congratulations on a successful upgrade, I am pleased you are happy with the results :D
Thank you for choosing GTG and also for allowing me to assist.
For the benefit of others can you please post how swapping the PSU went, was it tricky tidying the cables!

Hugabuns

Hugabuns

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi phillpower2! I am not too computer literate, but I will try to give my best explanation. After performing this operation, I would recommend a modular psu as there was very little space in my computer. It is a good thing that I have slender hands, and a very good helper (my 14 year old son), or I don't think I could have done this.

My new purchases: PSU CORSAIR/CMPSU-650TX 650W RT and VGA ASUS ENGTS450 DC OC/DI/1GD5 R graphics card

After I removed the computer cover, I evicted all the dust bunnies I found living in my computer. Then I removed my old graphics card. I did this by swinging open the card retention mechanism (one release tab), then swinging open the card retention door by pushing on the two release tabs. There was a securing tab on the card that I pressed and out came the old card. The new card was much bigger than the old one, so I removed an extra card panel insert. Also, I had to remove the card retention mechanism as it would not work with the new graphics card. I inserted the new graphics card, making sure it was seated properly and secured, and shut the card retention door.

I had no trouble removing most of the old psu cables, however, I did have a cable that went all the way to the bottom at the back of the case, for my hard drive. To get at this cable, I had to remove (tilt back) the heat sink assembly (took out two screws). Then I used a flat head screwdriver to pop open the two square plastic clips that held this cable to the case. After feeding this cable through a metal part of the case, it was free. I removed the screws to the psu. I had to press on a clip at the back of the case and out came the old psu!

After studying all the cables on the new psu, I came to the conclusion that I would not be able to hook up the cable to my hard drive the same way as the old psu. I replaced the heat sink cover. I placed the new psu in my computer and quickly discovered that it was longer than my old psu, and it left very little space get my hands in to hook up my cd and dvd drives. This is where I enlisted the help of my 14 year old son. He held the new psu just outside the case, while I hooked up all the cables I needed, including the new graphics card. The cable to my hard drive was fed above and around the heat sink (there were a few cable slots there). When everything was hooked up, I placed the new psu into the computer and screwed it in. I noticed that the back computer cover frame overlapped the raised area where you plug in the psu and the frame stuck out a wee bit. It did not interfere with the computer cover nor hinder my plugging it in, so I left it as is. With patience (alot of cursing & apologizing to my son), and determination (high spike in blood pressure) I was able to fold the excess cables in to the space between my cd/dvd drives and the back of the new psu, so that the area underneath the psu was clear to allow air flow, and none of the cables became unhooked. To be honest, the cables look like a pile of snakes, lol--hisssssssss.

All of this took me just over two hours to do ( with many little breaks). I am assuming that I did this right as my computer is working wonderfully, especially when watching movies. I would like to mention that there is a half inch gap in the case at the bottom of my new psu at the back of my computer because of the difference in sizes. Should I cover this up or leave it be? :D

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hi Hugabuns,
Once again congratulations on your successful upgrades, thank you for posting how it was achieved it may help and inspire others in the future, enjoy the improved performance and the satisfaction of not having to pay a tech to carry out the task/s. :D :D

NB: Good to see you kept your sense of humour throughout ;)