Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can't go to some sites - eg. google.com

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Salagubang

Salagubang

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,891 posts
Great job figuring out DrWeb. :D

Is your computer still throwing issues?

Advertisements

greg0r

greg0r

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Salagubang:

I have tried several times going to IE and OE, and the start menu is not freezing, and response is quick. It appears to be behaving now, with the following exception. I did however try going to the Eset link that I have not been able to get to (Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage' (my original problem...)) even quite recently, and I still cannont go there.

I tried to open gmer, which also was previously a problem, and Threatfire warned me about it, so I killed the process. I think that indicates being able to get farther than before, as I installed Threatfire April 3, two days before trying gmer.

I will need to see if after multiple reboots the freezing has indeed gone for good, as it was intermittent. I will do that, and if I have any more issues, I will post that info. Otherwise, I guess it's time to go through cleanup or answering questions. What do you suggest?

Salagubang

Salagubang

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,891 posts
Hi Gregor,

Great News. :D

Lets clean up.

We need to remove all the tools that you have used.
This is so that should you ever be re-infected, you will download updated versions. It will also remove the quarantined Malware from your computer.

Remove ComboFix
  • Click the Start button
  • Click Run...
  • Type Combofix /Uninstall in the run dialog box and click OK
Posted Image

Remove Other Tools
  • Download OTC to your desktop and run it
  • Click CleanUp! to begin the cleanup process and remove our tools, including this application
  • You may be asked to reboot the machine to finish the cleanup process - if so, choose Yes

You may manually delete any remaining clutter from your desktop.

Lets Re-hide system files and folders.
Opening Windows Explorer (to get there right-click your Start button and go to "Explore"), please do the following:
  • Go to Tools (drop-down menu at the top of the window)
  • Go down and click Folder Options
  • Click on the View tab
  • Find the Hidden Files and Folders section of the box and check "Do not show hidden files and folders"
  • Again under Hidden Files and Folders, find "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" and check it (if it's already checked)
  • Click Apply, and then Ok at the bottom.
  • Close the window

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Maintaning your computer

Download TFC to your desktop
  • Open the file and close any other windows.
  • It will close all programs itself when run, make sure to let it run uninterrupted.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. The program should not take long to finish its job
  • Once its finished it should reboot your machine, if not, do this yourself to ensure a complete CLEAN
THEN
  • Download Flush Flash from Here and follow the easy to use instructions on the same page
NEXT

Defrag the harddrive

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Other things to keep in mind

Windows, Java, and Adobe products should all be kept up-to-date on a regular basis so the latest security fixes are in place on your computer. Please refer to the following links on how to manage these products.

Here are a few other applications you might consider. Keeping your temporary file area clean, your Windows registry backed up, and backing up your important data are all good techniques.
  • Flush Flash - by Bobbi Flekman - cleans Flash Player cookies
  • ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) - a registry backup utility
  • Cobian Backup - a very good backup utility - read the tutorial here
  • WOT, Web of Trust, warns you about risky websites that try to scam visitors, deliver malware or send spam. Protect your computer against online threats by using WOT as your front-line layer of protection when browsing or searching in unfamiliar territory. WOT's color-coded icons show you ratings for 21 million websites, helping you avoid the dangerous sites:
  • Green to go
  • Yellow for caution
  • Red to stop
WOT has an addon available for Chrome and Opera.
Please remember that just having these programs is not enough. You must use them. Running a full spyware scan weekly, a full virus scan monthly, and checking for updates and cleaning your temporary files periodically is very important in keeping your computer in tip-top shape.

Finally, please take the time to read the following articles. Applying this information will help prevent future infections:

How to prevent malware by miekiemoes
Preventing Malware and Safe Computing by Rorschach112

This article will help you understand how you may have gotten infected:
How did I get infected in the first place?

Remember, you have to be smarter than the bad guys! Be safe out there! Posted Image

Salagubang

Salagubang

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,891 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Added this post at a request from the OP:

Salagubang:

everything seems to be running fine now. Thank you soooo much for all your help! It's very much appreciated!!

I hope I never get infected again, but if I do, I know where to go, and I know where to send others!!

Thanks!!!

Greg0r

http://www.geekstogo...83#entry2004083

Salagubang

Salagubang

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,891 posts
You're most welcome. :)