Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cant access my own website

• Please log in to reply

Barney Stinson

Barney Stinson

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
I setup my new site yesterday.

The problem is, I can not see the site myself using my actual IP. I can only access it using a VPN.

It is pretty weird that I can not see my own site from my own PC whereas everyone else can.

I have cleared cookies,cache, tried diff browsers, tried safe mode with networking, everything's the same.I have cleared cache of mozilla and others using ccleaner too.

Its just shows a cached copy of the last time I used the website. Any changes cant be seen.
I have also checked the hosts file, nothing special there.

Its like i can only see the cached copy and the site actually just doesn't load.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Tutorial for running chkdsk in Win 7 located HERE.

Barney Stinson

Barney Stinson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Why chkdsk ? How does chkdsk even concern this problem? o.O

I hope you read my problem..

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Excuse me Barney but since you have done all the browser direct steps then we need to look at the disk integrity and then start looking at the OS as the potential culprit of the problem.
You can do a hard reset of the modem or router have your ISP send a reset from their office to your modem or router.
Run your browser with no add ons to see if that helps.
Go through the startups and autoruns to make sure nothing is going on there.
Check Firewall settings to see if something is being blocked there.
I'm not sure I understand your hesitation as this was not a malware issue and I was asked to assist since it is a technical problem. If you would like I could ask a tech who is more familiar with browsers to help.

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts
What is the address to your site? Who is hosting it?

Raikia

Raikia

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I disagree with all of the above replies. If other people can view the website, it is obviously not a disk integrity issue, so chkdsk is useless in this situation.

Are you hosting the website from your computer (running apache or some other webserver locally on your computer)? If so, I have had similar issues in the past. For some reason, the request breaks when using your own IP to access your website. The way to "fix" it is by adding a line in your hosts file with "yourIP localhost" so all requests to your IP goes to "localhost". This will not affect others who are trying to access your website, but it will allow you to test it through your IP as a domain (if you have a domain associated with your IP, just change "yourIP" with the domain name).

I'm sure some discreet configuration is the culprit, but it doesn't hurt anything to use the hotfix I mentioned.

However, if you are not hosting the website locally, can you please explain your situation a little more clearly? Where is it hosted (hosting provider, locally networked server, etc)? Can others access the website fully? Can you access it at all?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 16 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.

Barney Stinson

Barney Stinson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
I contacted my ISP and changed the DNS option in my IPv4 settings. Solved after that.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations. :D for a successful resolution for your issue.

I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed us to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :D :D
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible