Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

lock up windows xp home

• Please log in to reply

FordracingBII

FordracingBII

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
hi and thank you for taking a whack at my problem.
Compact Presario, Windows xp home sp2. Some history: I downloaded a new driver for my video card from nvidia and got BSOD caused by nv4_mini.sys . . I couldn't start windows. I used the restore program to delete the suspect file and started getting Hal.dll is corrupted or missing please reinstall so again i used the restore program and still wouldn't load so then i used the windows repair program on cd and now it loads and stops at the blue screen with with dark blue bands at the top and bottom and has the windows xp logo. I have tried chkdsk,fixboot,fixmbr,bootcfg and still no go. also i have tried safe mode and all other options when pressing F8 still nada. yes head is sore, frustration level = approaching postal ...J/K
ok I am ready to answer your questions and perform the needed operations for a successful outcome. (trying to stay positive)
BII

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here and follow directions

FordracingBII

FordracingBII

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Mr Rock . . .can i call you happy? har
thank you for your response.
I have tried this and my hal.dll problems seem to be gone..at least i don't get anymore "hal.dll" notices. when i turn on the comp i get the usual screens and then the black screen that says windows then the blue screen with the windows logo and what is kinda strange is that the mouse pointer is also available, doesn't that indicate that windows is open and working? but it is locked up at this point.

Ok this is what has happened since last night, I partitioned the drive and installed another copy of windows xp, it installed ok and it loads and opens ok so I guess what i need to do now is figure out what was wrong with the original windows instalation and fix it so i can delete this new copy of windows xp.

was this a wise idea or did i "jump the gun" installing another windows xp?
thanks

FordracingBII

FordracingBII

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Mr Rock . . .can i call you happy? har
thank you for your response.
I have tried this and my hal.dll problems seem to be gone..at least i don't get anymore "hal.dll" notices. when i turn on the comp i get the usual screens and then the black screen that says windows then the blue screen with the windows logo and what is kinda strange is that the mouse pointer is also available, doesn't that indicate that windows is open and working? but it is locked up at this point.

Ok this is what has happened since last night, I partitioned the drive and installed another copy of windows xp, it installed ok and it loads and opens ok so I guess what i need to do now is figure out what was wrong with the original windows instalation and fix it so i can delete this new copy of windows xp.

was this a wise idea or did i "jump the gun" installing another windows xp?
thanks

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you can try repairing the original xp but first backup anything you can't live without using the second version of xp..
for the how to repair your operating system guides...

FordracingBII

FordracingBII

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
happyrock,
Have you ever visited the link you gave me? it's worthless!
If I said something to tick you off I apologize.
I sincerely came to this website for some instruction on fixing my computer problem and I thought I would get that ...INSTRUCTION not a worthless link. If you find my request for instruction to trivial then could you please forward this thread to someone at Geeks to Go who would be willing to help me.

If your going to just "throw down" some links In the name of "helping" at least visit the link and confirm that it is useful.
BII

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I use canned answers...that way I don't have to type the same thing over and over...sometimes the links have moved or changed...I will check it out and either give you a new link or post instructions for you

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
a repair is in order...go here for the how to guide...

FordracingBII

FordracingBII

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I tried the repairs posted on the link but the problem remains. I can boot to the new windows xp installation but I can't figure out which files to compare (in the old windows xp vs. the new windows xp) so I can copy or change the old installation to make it boot.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
first things first...backup any data you can't live without to cd/dvd's or a usb flash or external hard drive...
then click on start...run...type in msconfig...press enter...then click on the BOOT.ini tab...then check all boot paths...also get a copy of your boot.ini and post it back here...
How to Save a Backup Copy of Boot.ini

Click Start... click Run... type sysdm.cpl... and then click OK
On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
Under System Startup, click Edit. This opens the file in Notepad ready for editing.
In Notepad, click File on the Menu bar, and then click Save As.
Right click in an empty area of the Save As dialog box, point to New in the context menu, and then click Folder.
Type a name for the new folder, for example temp, and then press the ENTER key to create the folder named temp.
Double-click the new folder named temp, and then click the Save button to save a backup copy of the Boot.ini file.

I am currently out of town and will check this thread as often as time allows

Advertisements

FordracingBII

FordracingBII

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
here is a copy of my Boot.ini file

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Thanks HappyRock

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
The Windows XP installation CD includes an option to repair an existing Windows XP installation. Using this option allows you to reinstall Windows without losing the files, personal data and programs you already have on the system. To use it, just place the CD into your CD or DVD drive on your PC and reboot the computer.

During the installation you will be prompted if you wish to use the recovery console to repair a Windows installation. The recovery console is rather limited in its use, so just press the Enter key to proceed with the installation as you would normally...

Press F8 to continue past the Licensing Agreement...

The next screen should display a prompt asking you if you wish to repair an existing installation. Select the installation
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1) and press R

after it completes reboot and use the arrow key to select the repaired OS

FordracingBII

FordracingBII

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I have tried the repair program twice and still the same result I thought for sure that this would solve this problem. Could it be that the repair program is copying some type of personal setting that is keeping windows from opening? I dont have any idea what that could be just wondering since it appears that windows completes the the repair . . . . .

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
copy all your data to the second copy of windows that works...I also advise you to copy all your data to a cd/dvd and/or usb flash drives
then run chkdsk /r again...
reboot after your done running chkdsk /r...
then Go to Start...Run and type: eventvwr.msc press enter
When Event Viewer opens, click on Applications... then scroll down to Winlogon and double-click on it. This is the log created after running Checkdisk...copy and paste the log back here

FordracingBII

FordracingBII

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Should I run CHKDSK /R from the recovery program in DOS or CHKDSK /F from the command prompt in XP? Does it matter? Does CHKDSK in DOS create a log file like the one in XP?
Sorry about the trivial questions . . .gotta learn somehow.

I'll run the one in DOS while waiting for your reply . . . since you specified /R