Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The old girl needs some new life

• Please log in to reply

SkyhawkCaptain

SkyhawkCaptain

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hello all

Currently have
Asus P5N-D Mobo
E8200 Wolfdale
4 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix RAM
Gigabyte GTX 460 graphics Card
CoolerMaster Mystique
150Gig WD harddrive (lost my other one to a lightning strike)

I built this comp myself a couple of years ago (which to me was an impressive feat since I don't really know that much about them). In any case the computer seems to be showing its age and I am curious as to should I attempt to upgrade the components or just build a whole new rig?

I run a lot of online games and surf the net a bunch. I am looking for advice on the upgrades to the above listed components, as well as liquid cooling if anyone has experience with it. I don't need the rig to be bleeding edge with a processor going mach 1 (although I wouldn't complain if I had it) but want it to be powerful enough to handle me and keep up for a couple of years.

Thanks for any advice I am given!

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi SkyhawkCaptain .

Not a bad build though the socket is now a Little dated. The latest tech has moved on tremendously in the past year. I do not think it is worth spending on a new CPU.

I would proceed as follows, being mindful of using parts in a future build.

Buy one of these drives, > http://www.newegg.co...9^22-136-319-TS

Backup your essential Data. Keeping your existing drive for the OS only, Perform a clean install. Update all drivers, also update BIOS and Asus tools.
Install the New drive with a small partition at the end to store an image of the OS drive. Move the My docs folder to the new drive, restore you saved Data.

The next option would depend on,
Your OS, 32bit or 64bt, you could install another 4GB of RAM. (could not use in DDR3 Mobos)

Next option would depend on the PSU.
Install a second video card, (Must be identical) Able to move both for new build..

SkyhawkCaptain

SkyhawkCaptain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
THank you for the information!

I have two questions for you if I may.

Would you have any recommendations for an upgraded mobo for overclocking? Ive read the wolfdales being pushed to over 4ghz on just air (I have a freezer 7 pro sitting on top of the cpu now). I know I could get more out of my existing chip without needing to replace it. And I don't think I need a quad core, I don't ever push my comp that hard to justify it.

I have intentions of going to windows seven 64 (being told it is a worthy successor to XP) The second question I have is when installing a new hard drive will the setup automatically prompt to add a small partition for transferring of the data from one drive to the other? I have not attempted anything like that in the past.

Thanks again for your assistance!

Edit: forgot to mention I have a Rosewill 750W PS. Two and half years old and going like a champ knock on wood.

Edited by SkyhawkCaptain, 29 March 2011 - 01:02 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Would you have any recommendations for an upgraded mobo for overclocking?

Sorry, can't help there. Rather than spending $150 plus on an almost obsolete socket 775 Mobo, I would be looking at the new Intel Sandy Bridge platform or waiting a couple of months for the AMD Bulldozer Tech to see what that brings to the market.

Ive read the wolfdales being pushed to over 4ghz on just air (I have a freezer 7 pro sitting on top of the CPU now). I know I could get more out of my existing chip without needing to replace it

Yes, but your board does have some problems. Full review, see overclocking, > http://www.xbitlabs....asus-p5n-d.html

And I don't think I need a quad core,

Agreed. You would be better off with a complete new build, again the Sandy Bridge, > http://openbenchmark...g/reviews/14566

I have intentions of going to windows seven 64 (being told it is a worthy successor to XP)

Would be a great move, 64bit so you can use all RAM installed. Remember that if you buy an OEM licence you can only use it on the current build and not be able to use it on a subsequent one. You will need this tool for saving and transferring Data from your old system to your new, read instructions on the right of the screen, > http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

The second question I have is when installing a new hard drive will the setup automatically prompt to add a small partition for transferring of the data from one drive to the other?

No. Once a new drive is installed, initialised, formatted and partitions set up, you can transfer files to it from within Windows or use other, free, software to do the job.