Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't Access Update/Windows Web Sites

• Please log in to reply

Bibli0phile

Bibli0phile

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello all. I'm really frustrated at this point and don't know what to do. Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope.

I am running a Dell Dimension 4600, Windows XP Professional. (Currently on SP1). Last week, I was hit with the Malware Doctor virus. Couldn't get rid of it. Finally, in frustration, I re-installed Windows. I started doing the updates. During the download of Service Pack 3, the computer froze. I eventually restarted it and got a blue screen which said my system failed or was shut down or something along those lines. Tried a couple of times to get it restarted but to no avail. It was fragged.

So, I re-installed Windows again. This time, I could not access Automatic Update. I could not access any Microsoft website. I get the white "Server Not Found" screen. I sent a query to Microsoft, and we're corresponding via e-mail (which I have to retrieve from the web since I can't download Outlook) but it's slow as watching grass grow and I'm impatient. The rep suggested I download some antivirus software, but when I tried to follow the links, I discovered I cannot go to any of those sites, either.

So, I decided to re-install for a third time, thinking maybe I had caught a virus somehow while my PC was unprotected and vulnerable from not being updated. First thing I did was try to update. I still have the problem.

Internet works, except for Microsoft sites, and the few anti-virus sites I've tried like Norton/AVG (which, I know, suggests a virus, but I don't see how I could have caught one instantly, or one could have survived three re-formats/re-installs.)

I have Googled for solutions and tried various things like adding Microsoft to my "trusted sites" and enabling the various ActiveX controls and the like but nothing seems to work.

Any suggestions? I'd be most grateful.

Edited by Bibli0phile, 27 March 2011 - 09:26 PM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
see if this helps here
Windows Update Fix

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try this...
run sfc /scannow...
if you don't have a xp cd you will have to borrow one from a friend or coworker...
it has to be the same flavor of xp you have installed...IE: if you have xp pro...the one you borrow has to be xp pro

To do this click on start...run...then type in...sfc /scannow
NOTE the single space before the /

This command will immediately initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files and verify their integrity, replacing any files with which it finds a problem.

for vista...
go to the run box and type in cmd
instead of hitting the Enter key press Ctrl+Shift + Enter You will be prompted with the obnoxious User Account Control dialog… but it will then open up a command prompt in Administrator mode...then type in sfc /scannow

NOTE THE SINGLE SPACE BEFORE THE /

or

If you don't have Windows CD...

click on Start... then Run
type in regedit and press enter

Navigate to the following key...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

you want ... SourcePath

It has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now reboot your computer and try sfc /scannow again...

Bibli0phile

Bibli0phile

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for your suggestions.

I have the XP Pro disks that came with the computer. I'm currently doing a re-install (again) to see if I can get all of the service packs put on it from a drive stick. I'll run your suggested scan after it finishes.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
for the future...try Slipstreaming Windows XP SP3 ...lots of guides here...

Bibli0phile

Bibli0phile

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Turns out I had a worm and the conficker virus which were blocking my access to Windows sites. AFter a re-install of the XP software (not the "quick" version) and manually installing the updates from another computer, I managed to fix the problem.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome...and thanks for letting us know... :D