Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Running processes

• Please log in to reply

garybear

garybear

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

I want to make something clear here. First, you don't need to apologize constantly - it's normal for threads to veer off-topic as a discussion evolves. However, it's been said before by me, and now emphasized by Macboatmaster, that we do not advise registry cleaners, and I do wish you would stop bringing it up. What you choose to run is your business, but linking to a thread at another forum about this topic, when we've already provided our official position, is pointless. Rather than beating a dead horse, I'm going to ask you flat out to stop the discussion on this issue. You may agree to disagree, but in this case, that means that you've been told our position on the issue, so there is no point in discussing it further.

Hello sari!!
I hear you loud and clear. I will not bring up those nasty words again. I just searched for revo uninstaller. I found 10 pages recommending Revo. I'm sure you are aware that Revo alters the registry, so your above statement needs to be revised. I'm not trying to cause trouble here. I think it's fair to say you have stopped recommending a program because it alters the registry, but then you recommend another one that does exactly that. This is my last word about this. I hope we can still agree to disagree. I will stop apologizing. I'm an old southern gentleman and that's the way we are. I do know a little about the puter. I respect the registry, but it doesn't scare me. One forum starts a trend and the rest seem to follow. I have observed that during my 7 years of being on forums and the net. I think I have stated my case well and I will not post further on this subject.
Thank you!!

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
We don't follow the trends of any other forum, we make our own informed decisions. Perhaps the fact that so many forums advise against the use of registry cleaners is because they recognize that it's a largely unnecessary function, and allowing a program to determine whether an entry is necessary or not carries a large amount of risk.

I just searched for revo uninstaller. I found 10 pages recommending Revo. I'm sure you are aware that Revo alters the registry, so your above statement needs to be revised. I'm not trying to cause trouble here. I think it's fair to say you have stopped recommending a program because it alters the registry, but then you recommend another one that does exactly that.

That's a very poor argument. If I were to follow that logic, then we wouldn't advise installing any programs at all, as they all alter the registry. Nor would we help with malware removal, as that also alters the registry. Installing a program involves known and repeatable registry modifications; running a registry cleaner involves the opposite of that.

garybear

garybear

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
I don't use Revo that much anymore as I'm not into installing and uninstalling programs. I will tell you this much. Revo has in the past caused me more restores than any other program I use to keep my PC tuned up. It gets pretty deep in the registry if you use the advanced feature and I have heard reports of it removing dll files needed by other programs. That does not worry me because I always have a current back up image of my OS on a least two external USB's, and I can recover from just about any thing. I think there is always two sides to every story. I won't try to change your opinion and I doubt if you will change mine, but I always listen. I think I make a very good argument, but would rather call it a statement or observation. I would rater discuss than argue :D :D