Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Swapping network Issues.

• Please log in to reply

Loominal

Loominal

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok, So first off thank you for anyone who is reading this and is trying to help. I've been having issue's for months.. and i think it's about time to ask for help lol Here is a line of info about my computer.

HP Laptop dv7 w/ Windows 7 Pro x64
2gb RAM
has bluetooth/wireless/ and wired network port.

So here is the situation. I work in a Office at "point A" and inside "Point A" i plug my network cable into my laptop / computer. Everynow and then myself or a co-worker will unplug that network cable before shutting down (while it's on the desktop) then we shut down the pc and go home.

The next day we take our laptop to the Office in a different building "Point B". Now when you plug into that office you can't connect to the network and /release / renew or the troubleshooter cannot connect the computer to the network at that office. You have no inTRAnet or inTERnet.

INTERNAL Network info:

Office A:

ip range
172.21.2.1 - 172.21.3.255
Subnet Mask:
255:255:254:0
Gateway

Office B:

ip range
172.21.62.1 - 172.21.62.255
Subnet Mask:
255:255:254:0
Gateway

so anyway when i take this LAPTOP to office B, when i do ipconfig i get a IP Address for Office A and a subnet mask of 255:255:255:0, and a Gateway of 0.0.0.0

I've tried /release /renew in both admin mode / regular. In safemode with networking.. and nothing. The only thing that works is to give it a static IP address with a proper DNS and using a empty IP address i get from a network scanner (to make sure i'm not using a IP address in use)

How can i reset this network so that it pulls from the DHCP router correctly.

Oh not to mention when i go BACK to "point A" and plug in everything comes back as if nothing has happened.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP
Who owns Office B's network? If what you have written is correct

ip range
172.21.62.1 - 172.21.62.255

then their network mask is wrong. Should be 255.255.255.0.

I don't see why ipconfig /release is not working unless A is playing some policy games or running some strange script at logon. Does it make any difference if you logoff from A before disconnecting the network cable? Did you check to see if DHCP client service is running when you got to B? If it's running try stopping and starting it. Have you restarted the computer - not just brought it out of hibernation or standby?

what does netstat -rn show (from a command prompt)? Both at A and at B? Are there any persistent routes?

What is the address of the DHCP server on B? Is it on the same LAN as the 172.21.62.1 - 172.21.62.255 ? Does the same DHCP server serve both companies by any chance?

Does a computer from some other place which has never been at A work on B?

1. Please download the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso
http://images.malwar...om/vino/VEW.exe
and save it to your Desktop:
2. Double-click VEW.exe (Vista or 7, right click and Run As Administrator)
3. Under 'Select log to query', select:

* System
4. Under 'Select type to list', select:
* Error
* Warning

Then use the 'Number of events' as follows:

1. Click the radio button for 'Number of events'
Type 20 in the 1 to 20 box
Then click the Run button.
Notepad will open with the output log.

Please post the Output log in your next reply then repeat but select Application.

Ron

Loominal

Loominal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
ok i think the ip range ends 254 not 255 and it's all the same company. the same buisness owns 12 different buildings.. all within the same cloud. (network) i dunno..

A: 172.21.2.xxx / 172.21.3.xxx
B: 172.21.62.xxx
C: 172.21.42.xxx
D: 172.21.32.xxx
E: 172.21.22.xxx

ect ect all the way for 12 offices. the "3rd" section determines what office your at..

and do you want me to run this report at A when it works? or B? where it doesn't..

And YES I know how to shutdown and fully reboot a computer. I did that more then one time.
also... yes both offices have non laptop computers which are in that office 24/7 which fully work on that network.

after thinking about this i believe the DHCP is the same for all 12 offices which means my MAC Address is locked up within the DHCP with a I.P Address from Office A... is there anything i can do to clear the IP or MAC off the DHCP without resetting the entire network DHCP ?

Edited by Loominal, 28 March 2011 - 12:54 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP
I got your reply notice just wasn't on line at the time.

It does sound like the kind of problem you get with a common DHCP server.

You might try using ipconfig /release before unplugging from A. Perhaps that would tell the DHCP server that you might show up elsewhere. I'm wondering if the 4 hour arp timeout on a Cisco router is involved. If you wait longer than 4 hours before trying to connect to B does it work?

I would like to see the netstat -rn report from the same computer at both A and B. That's netstat -RN in case you are not familiar with the command.

Start, All Programs, Accessories, Command Prompt (Vista or 7 right click and Run As Administrators)

netstat  -rn  >>  \junk.txt

(After running it the second time do:)

notepad  \junk.txt

Vino's can be run at either location. Doesn't matter as long as the PC has recently been to both locations.

Ron