Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Connecting VGA laptop to LCD TV

• Please log in to reply

Cooter285

Cooter285

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I have an XP-running Dell Inspiron E1505 laptop with a VGA output, and I want to connect it to my Philips LCD TV (40PFL3705D/F7). I've tried to look up the answer online, but every solution I find says my TV should have a VGA input and then assumes that that's what I have and never explains what to do if my TV does not, which is my case. I've tried a VGA to HDMI chord, but that didn't work. All I can figure is that my TV does NOT have VGA or DVI. It has 3 HDMI ports as well as what I believe to be S-video. Of course, I would love to use one of the HDMI ports, but I have read that only a DVI connection would make sense. Any suggestions?

Advertisements

Cooter285

Cooter285

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Also, when I find a site that recognizes that my TV might not have a VGA connection, it assumes it's an older TV that only has S-Video and RCA. Am I the only person who owns this TV and wants to use it with my computer? (strictly a rhetorical question!)

Edited by Cooter285, 28 March 2011 - 10:06 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
you basically said it in your first post.

if your laptop ONLY has vga out, then your tv pretty much HAS to have a VGA port if you're wanting a "cable only" solution. otherwise you'll have to get a converter such as one of these

PERSONALLY i'd be wary of the VGA to HDMI ones. i trust cables to go, and i don't think they'd sell something that was completely misrepresented, but to go from VGA to HDMI you're taking an analog signal and converting it to digital. that won't really give awesome results. if you can keep it analog then the results will be better.

Cooter285

Cooter285

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
could i use any of the other ports on my tv? i'm not deadset on using hdmi.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
yeah, did you look at that link that i posted? it has several VGA to whatever converters. you can do VGA to S-Video, VGA to RCA, VGA to composite, etc..