Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless internet connection

• Please log in to reply

Canary

Canary

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Hi,

I've got a Belkin router that works fine when it is connected to my notebook via a cable, but I can't get it to work wirelessly - even though I have loaded the CD that came with it, and the light on the wireless USB adapter goes on when I plug it in to the back of the computer.

I can't for the life of me see what I'm doing wrong.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
When you install a USB wireless adapter, you must install the software first and only plug in the USB adapter when the software tells you to.
Did you do that?

Canary

Canary

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Hi, and thanks for your reply.

Yes, I did do it that way round.

Canary

Canary

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Hello - is there anyone who can help me with this, please?>

Thanks.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Hi Canary
Please provide the model name or series (not serial) number of both the Belkin router and the notebook.

but I can't get it to work wirelessly

By this do you mean that your notebook will not connect to the internet wirelessly!

Canary

Canary

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Hi, and thanks for your reply.

The computer is a Dell Inspiron 5160. The Belkin router is a G Wireless Modem Router, F5D7634-4.

A bit of background to this problem may help. I had problems with my computer a few months ago, which eventually led to me reloading all the software from scratch, after I received\help from Geeks To Go. (Before those problems happened, this router had worked perfectly.)

After rebuilding the computer, I ran the CD that came with the router. Everything seemed to install OK and I now have a Belkin Wireless USB Utility icon on my desktop.

However, when I click on that icon, I get a message that says "Belkin Wireless USB Adapter not detected. Insert your Belkin Wireless USB Adapter now and click OK to continue."

The thing is, the USB adapter IS plugged in - and its green light is on.

(Meanwhile, the router itself works when I attach a cable between it and the computer.)

In other words, all the individual bits seem to work by themselves - I just can't get the USB adapter to be recognised when I click the Belkin icon.

Does that make any sense?

Thanks again for any help you can give.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Yes it makes sense, I will do some research and come back to you in a while, the issue seems to be the adapter itself,
have you checked in the Device Manager to see what the status of the device is?
Also have you connected the device to the IP by entering the encryption code, if all else fails you may need to uninstall the software and start afresh.

Canary

Canary

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Yes it makes sense, I will do some research and come back to you in a while, the issue seems to be the adapter itself,
have you checked in the Device Manager to see what the status of the device is?
Also have you connected the device to the IP by entering the encryption code, if all else fails you may need to uninstall the software and start afresh.

Hi.

I'm sorry - I'm not sure what you mean by entering the encryption code. (Although, from memory, this wasn't something I had to do when I first used the router.)

I have already uninstalled and reinstalled the software a couple of times.

According to Device Manager, it recognises the attachment as "USB2.0 WLAN" but it has a yellow "!" next to it. I have just clicked on "update", having inserted the software disc, but it's come back with nothing.

Just one thought - would Broadcom have anything to do with this? That's the only driver I haven't been able to reinstall properly since the rebuild.

Thanks.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

I'm not sure what you mean by entering the encryption code

I use a Belkin wireless dongle on my desktop and when it was 1st installed I had to enter an SSID No and an 8 digit Network key to be able to get the dongle to pair with the Sky (Netgear) router, who is your IP?
What options does it give you if you right click on the yellow !.

Canary

Canary

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Hi.

Ah. I see what you mean now. No - I've never been asked for an encryption code, either now or previously when the router used to work.

My IP is Tiscali/TalkTalk.

If I right-click on the yellow ! icon in Device Manager, I get the following options:

Update Driver
Disable
Uninstall
Scan for Hardware Changes
Properties

Thanks

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
I`m not familiar with how Tiscali works so cannot make a suggestion with that I`m afraid.

If I right-click on the yellow ! icon in Device Manager, I get the following options:
Update Driver Have you tried updating the driver from here?
Disable
Uninstall This may have to be the next step!
Scan for Hardware Changes Have you done this and if so what was reported?
Properties What does Properties report?

From an earlier post;

However, when I click on that icon, I get a message that says "Belkin Wireless USB Adapter not detected. Insert your Belkin Wireless USB Adapter now and click OK to continue."

What options are given if you right click on the icon?
Do you have an internet icon in the Task Bar bottom right hand corner and if so what options are given if you right click on it?

Canary

Canary

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Hi,

Yep – I’ve now tried all those things again. Scanning for hardware changes just does nothing.

When I right-click on the ! and select “Update Driver”, I get the following message: “The hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot fo
ind the necessary software”, even though the CD is sitting in the CD tray.

Under Properties, there’s an option to reinstall the driver, but that just takes me back to the “Update Driver” process (see above).

What’s interesting, though, is that if I go to Properties>Driver>Driver Details, it says: “No driver files have been loaded for this device”.

That takes me back to the Broadcom question – when I had guildance on these forums after my laptop was rebuilt, I was told to download a Broadcom driver. But I never worked out what to do after that. Perhaps it isn't installed properly? Would you know anything about that?

Could this be the problem?

(As far as right-clicking on the Belkin Wireless USB Utility icon on my desktop is concerned, I just get the usual options, such as Rename, Delete, Create Shortcut etc.)

Finally, there is no wireless icon in the system tray for me to click on.

Thanks.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Have you looked in the Add/Remove programs area in device manager to see if any software has been installed for the dongle?
If it is listed there remove the dongle and then the software for the dongle, restart your computer, manually install the drivers for the dongle from the disk and only plug in the dongle when prompted to by an on screen message.
Where Broadcom is concerned I cannot see this being the issue as it is nothing to do with Belkin as far as I am aware. they do however have WIFI drivers http://www.broadcom....s-LAN-Solutions

Canary

Canary

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Hi again.

Yes, I've done all that, and I'm back where I started.

The bottom line seems to be that all the individual components are properly installed - router, USB adapter and software.

But I just keeping getting a "USB Adaptor not detected" message when I click on the Belkin icon on my desktop - even though the USB adapter IS connected and has a green light on, as it should do.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Can you try the dongle on another computer.