Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgradeable RAID option?

• Please log in to reply

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
I'm trying to combine a few SATA HDDs of varying sizes into one drive letter. I've looked into all the RAID options and JBOD, but none of the forums I've been to have given me a solid answer. As of now, I have two HDDs, one of which is almost full. Which option will allow me to create a large array by combining the full HDD and the new empty HDD (both of different sizes) without losing the data I already have? And then in the future be able to add another HDD to increase the overall size of the array, again without losing the data I currently have? I'm not really concerned about performance or redundancy (neither of which is offered by JBOD) I'm also looking into Windows 7's "Dynamic Disc" abilities, though I haven't tested them yet.

I've looked all over the internet and cannot find a solid answer. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Chris

--UPDATE--

OK, so I've just tried adding an empty drive to a drive with data on it by utilizing the "extend volume" option in Windows 7 and thus converting them both to dynamic discs and it appears that all of my data is still there and the total size of the drive has increased by the full amount of the empty one! (ie. I added a new 160 GB drive to an existing 40 GB. and now have one large drive with a total capacity of 200 GB. No wasted space...) I'll try to combine all of my drives and data tomorrow, then post another update.

Edited by cheathawk1, 30 March 2011 - 12:24 AM.

Advertisements