Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Word to PDF issue

• Please log in to reply

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
ok, i will try to insert the images as you ask and incidentally the word document was saved as pdf directly from the drop down menu in the word document save as function.

Advertisements

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
not possible to insert images as the ones on the document are all that i have. So we are back to the original question - how is it that my mate can convert it without the squares but I cant?

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
How did you put the image onto the Word document in the first place? I certainly can not answer the question you keep asking until I can duplicate the problem here with my Word 2007. You should still have access to the images from their original source. If not, where did you get the original images to insert into the document? Do you have a URL to them online maybe? I know you can save those images from Word to your Desktop or image folder. That's why I asked if you could/would upload the Word document and the original images imported into Word.

Edited by AstraNut, 31 March 2011 - 01:40 AM.

Vanessa13

Vanessa13

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Have the images been moved on your HDD from when they were first inserted into the document?

Edited by Vanessa13, 31 March 2011 - 01:21 AM.

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
i give up.

my mate can convert the word document to a pdf without the black squares and he doesnt even have the images on his pc - why is this so hard to understand?

you guys are looking too deep and i bet its a setting problem in adobe reader but i am not familiar with adobe reader so i need someone to help me with adobe reader....

Vanessa13

Vanessa13

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Sorry, duplicated somehow...

Edited by Vanessa13, 31 March 2011 - 03:33 AM.

Vanessa13

Vanessa13

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
It depends on the programme you use, I suspect. Some convert the document itself, along with all it's images, while some probably look for the images elsewhere in order to read them. Have you converted this way before, with images, with no problem?

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

i give up.

my mate can convert the word document to a pdf without the black squares and he doesnt even have the images on his pc - why is this so hard to understand?

you guys are looking too deep and i bet its a setting problem in adobe reader but i am not familiar with adobe reader so i need someone to help me with adobe reader....

You sent the Word file to be converted by them!!!!! That document had the images in it so they DIDN'T need the images oON their PCs. Why can't you understand that we would like to try to duplicate the problem you are having by loading the Word file into the Word program and converting it to PDF.

If you think it is a problem wirh Adobe Reader, which is the first time I read that you were viewing in Adobe's viewer, then there are other free PDF readers you could try. There are also free online file converters that will convert the Word document to PDF. You can try all these and see if you have the same problem.

I doubt seriously it is a setting in Adobe's Reader although you can install the Adobe plug-in for your browser and use it by clicking on the PDF file you converted or dragging/dropping the PDF in an open browser window. I use Firefox with the Adobe plug-in for it.

It's hard to help someone who does not answer questions.

Edited by AstraNut, 31 March 2011 - 05:12 AM.

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
There are images all through the document and they convert fine - all except the logo images at the top in the header ribbon as seen in the image i attached.

If my mates pdf program converts the images in the document fine without him having the images on file then why cant i convert it without the images on file - i dont get your reasoning?

All who I send it to can convert the document without the black squares - this should be a clue as to where the problem lies.

Edited by ding dong, 31 March 2011 - 05:50 AM.

Vanessa13

Vanessa13

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Obviously something on your computer, although we don't have enough information in order to be able to tell for sure *shrug*

Advertisements

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
Well, without actually seeing the images you're making it hard to access the problem. Adobe's Reader works just great, but I guess you didn't want to take the time to try another PDF reader or do what I suggested in last post. Stubbornness is not going to get an answer until we get answers to our question or something to look at and work with.

If you think it is Adobe's problem, then go to the Edit menu and open Preferences. Under Page Display, make sure the default DPI is set to 110 pixels per inch. Look through any other settings like the Rendering>Smooth Text. Set that to what you use.

Adobe allows you to convert your files online to PDF. Could try that and see if there's any difference.

Edited by AstraNut, 31 March 2011 - 06:06 AM.

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
I showed you the images at the beginning but here is what I am seeing.

I changed the rendering to laptop but I still see the squares where the logos should be.

I'm not stubborn but told you that I dont have access to the images anymore. I dont want a work around but to fix my current program - why dont I want a work around? because then it is just another program on my pc and it does nothing for the program I already have which needs to be set to the correct settings - how do I know this? because my mates can convert this word document to pdf without the squares.

any other solutions would be appreciated other than workarounds.

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.JPG

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
You are showing me the image of what you see. NOT the image files you used. You do have access to the images you used as they should be able to be saved separately from the Word file to the Desktop in the same format they were originally and uploaded as attachments here. Either that or upload the complete document that has the images.

I am just trying to ascertain what format the images were in before you put them into the Word document. Any transparency will present problems at times.

You've said nothing about checking the Reader's Preferences which leaves us in the dark again as to what you have and have not done. Kinda hard to help when we have to keep repeating questions and requests for information. I know you want answers, but help US to help YOU by working with us.

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
tried to attach original word doc but it wouldnt allow me - no permissions. dont know how to rip images off the document and save in acceptable format for uploads here either.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
You have a couple things going on with this conversion. We do not have all the facts and you are being stubborn on not wanting to try another program so we can at least trouble shoot the issue.

You have word 2007
You converted it as a save as pdf and it didn't work.

One of your mates converted it using Cutepdf.
His conversion worked.
What is his version of word?

Your other mate converted it with pdf
His conversion worked.
What version of word is he using?

Personally I try to stay away from adobe reader. If I have a word document to convert (word 2003), I do a print to Cutepdf and have no issues.