Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Word to PDF issue

• Please log in to reply

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

tried to attach original word doc but it wouldnt allow me - no permissions. dont know how to rip images off the document and save in acceptable format for uploads here either.

The PDF file has to be zipped I believe before you can upload and attach to your post.

Advertisements

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Downloaded cutepdf writer and the image is the result of a conversion.

I dont know what version of word my mates have and i dont know how to zip a file.

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.JPG

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
so one of the images came up but my title boxes are missing.

Edited by ding dong, 03 April 2011 - 03:35 AM.

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
Compress and uncompress files (zip files)

How to Zip Files

Zip or unzip a file

Edited by AstraNut, 04 April 2011 - 02:19 PM.

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
attached original file in zipped format. Please note, I am not looking for someone to convert this document but to show me whats wrong with it so that it will convert without the irregularities to the logos.

Attached Files

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

I am not looking for someone to convert this document but to show me whats wrong with it so that it will convert without the irregularities to the logos.

In order to do this, we have to know what steps were taken and see if we can duplicate it exactly with the same programs and images. That's why we have been trying to get the document and the two original images you used, but we'll see with what you have uploaded.

BTW, I saved your file as an .htm file and recovered ALL images used. The two giving you problems are 1 png and 1 jpg. I was originally thinking the png was the problem if it has any alpha channel.

Edited by AstraNut, 05 April 2011 - 04:35 AM.

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
OK. Converted your document file directly to PDF and it open automatically in my Adobe Reader with no problems. My Adobe Reader is Adobe Reader X. Do you have the latest version installed? If you do, may be try repairing the installation:

1) Open Adobe Reader X
2) Go to Help
3) Select "Repair Adobe Reader Installation"

This problem sure beats the heck out of me. We must be missing some key piece of information. I downloaded your file, unzipped it, opened it in my Word 2007, went to "Save as..." and selected PDF. Just like your friends...no problem what so ever.

I dropped the PNG file into my graphics editor and it does have a transparency to it, but again, it came out fine in the PDF conversion.

Any chance I can get you to try the free OpenOffice Suite and see if you get the same results when converting to PDF?

Edited by AstraNut, 05 April 2011 - 05:00 AM.

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
The MASSIVE program Open Office is now installed on my pc which has become an experimental machine with cute writer and all sorts of crap that doesbnt help me on it - I dont know how to use it Open office. I tried to go into my word document but open office does not come up as a save option.

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
OpenOffice is compatible with MS Office files. ALL of them. I've used it before I bought Office 2007 so I know it does work. You would have to open OpenOffice's "Word" part and then use the File>Open and browse to the Word file to open it as your files are still associated with MS Office.

Rediah

Rediah

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Hello ding dong:

I am new here, I could help you with screenshots

While saving as .pdf through Word 2007, please ensure under Options... > PDF options > ISO 19005-1 compliant (PDF/A) is unchecked it will work with even transparent .png (tested in Foxit Reader)

Advertisements

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Thankyou Rediah.

As we all can see it was a simple fix that Rediah suggested and not a huge technological issue.

I think we all can learn that the obvious is probably the answer rather than going too deep and looking for workarounds. I said in the beginning it was probably a setting that needed to be changed but was poohoo'd and told to stop being stubborn. It took a newb to show the way.

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.JPG

Vanessa13

Vanessa13

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
A newbie who happened to already have all the answers we spent so long dragging out of you... It's nice to know our efforts were unappreciated.

Rediah

Rediah

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Hi ding dong:

We are glad that combined efforts of forum members worked
:D

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Your efforts were appreciated but it may help to try simple solutions first. I downloaded two programs onto my pc when I didnt need to.

Vanessa13

Vanessa13

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Which was largely due to our questions not being answered... Aaaaaaaanyway... Moving along... :D