Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

One way traffic

• Please log in to reply

helicopter_red

helicopter_red

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi guys im still pulling my hair out
i have a belkin adsl modem with high-speed mode wireless-g router f5d7633-4 that appears to be working ok laptop can access the internet through it and so can the desktop but i cannot access either computer from one or the other i have run network wizard and wireless wizard etc still doesnt want to know, i have changed the laptop to share the entire c drive and on desktop just the g drive but still no joy, should i ignore the wireless bit and set them up wired or am i missing something simple.
they are both windows xp home
any help is appreciated Cheers :tazz:

Edited by helicopter_red, 28 May 2005 - 01:54 AM.

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
You have to make sure they are both members of the same workgroup, you would go to control panel, system, and click the computer name tab. Now click the "change" button and make sure workgroup is selected and make sure the same exact name is in the workgroup area on both computers. Now also you need to create the same user account on each computer. Reboot and try again. If you are using Service Pack 2 then you need to enable file and print sharing in the windows service pack 2 firewall configuration.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

helicopter_red

helicopter_red

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi i can now connect to my laptop from my desktop but not the other way round!
when trying to add a network place in my networks (on laptop)i can browse and see my Mshome and if i expand this i can see my computer (i.e. the name of my desktop) in the form of a monitor but it will not expand and allow me access to the nework folders in this
i have temporarily turned of windows firewalls in both pc's and as far as i can tell configured norton anti-virus correctly, (are these symptons of an incorrectly configured norton software (it is the full package norton internet security 2004) or is there some other likely things
all help is greatly appreciated and desperately needed
cheers :tazz:

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
First try sharing something on the computer you are trying to access then it should show up when you go to look for it. Please post back in your same topic when you start multiple topics for the same problem, that makes things harder.

helicopter_red

helicopter_red

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi sorry i didnt realise that i needed to keep in the same thread.
i have tried sharing stuff i can send files from the desktop to laptop and be able to open them up edit and delete them (on the laptop) and i can retreive them using the desktop but not forward them from the laptop, i copied and pasted the network folders that appear on the desktop network places onto the laptop and they show up but with a red circle with a question mark and if you click on them "you dont have permision contact your administrator etc."
thanks for the responces so far they have been really helpfull and any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated
cheers

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Sounds to me like one account has administrator priveledges, and the other one does not. Try making sure that each one has administrator rights. Go to control panel, users, and you can change accounts from limited to administrator in there.

helicopter_red

helicopter_red

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi thanks for the reply i have checked everything and both computers are on adminstration!!
something else i noticed is the desktop can consistently connect to the laptop but the laptop sometimes cant even find the network i.e MSHOME yet alone the desktop
it reports that the server is unavailable or you do not have any access permisssion i have checked everything i can think of
i hope somebody can help
cheers ;) :tazz: ;)

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Have you tried accessing the shared resources using IP addresses instead of NetBios to see if the connection can be made? Also, even though both accounts are in the Administrators group, are they the same name? If not, you may want to set the permissions to full control on anyone in the Administrators group instead of just the Administrator. Just a thought.

Hope this helps.

Greazy Mcgeezy

helicopter_red

helicopter_red

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi not sure what you mean by the administraters group? but both accounts are administration
so far i got the laptop connected when i did add network place (i have tried this loads of times before with no success) i managed to get one drive on and working for about a minute and now it wont allow access at all again!! I havent even changed anything this is what confuses me!!!!
sometimes i can see the other computer from the laptop and sometimes i cant but i can always see it from the desktop and access it too!!!
when the laptop can see the other pc and you right click and do properties on it, it states that "the server xxxxx does not accespt remote requests" has this got anything to do with it
Cheers
:tazz:

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Hi not sure what you mean by the administraters group? but both accounts are administration

Ok, you are running XP Home, sorry about that.

Try this. On the computer that is NOT having the problem, go Start>Run; type cmd and press enter. Once you are at the command prompt, type ipconfig This will show you an IP address, a subnet mask and a default gateway. To start out, write down this info (unless you can remember it). Verify that the computer is using an address that looks something like either:
10.???.???.???

or
172.16.???.???

or (more than likely)
192.168.???.???

Using the last one as an example, if you are using DHCP, then the machines would probably be 192.168.0.100 and 0.101 This being said, pretend the first ip is the machine that you are NOT having problems with. Go to the second machine, the one that IS having problems. In an explorer address bar, enter: \\192.168.0.100 this should give you a listing of the shared folders on the machine that you are trying to connect to, you may have to log in as the admin on the remote computer. If this works, try again and again to see if it faults. If it stays stable connecting in this way, then your problem most likely lies in NetBIOS.

If you have a firewall somewhere between the two, make sure that ports 137 through 139 on both TCP and UDP are open for both directions.

Please try the above method and post back with responses.

Greazy Mcgeezy

Advertisements

helicopter_red

helicopter_red

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi did what you said both results were different
desktop was just
Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.3
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.xxxxx
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

laptop was
Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.2
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::290:4bff:fe93:xxxxx
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5445:5245:4xxxxx
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Tunnel adapter Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.xxxxx
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

I have placed xx at ends as i dont know if these are security issues or not

when i opened up I.E. and typed 192.168xxxx on the desktop it found all shared files on laptop when i did this from laptop it did not allow me to see i.e :tazz: not available may not have permission etc.
i managed to get the laptop connected again last night (but i dont know what i did, but when it rebooted it was not working again)
i have got norton internet security on desktop and have disabled this as well as win firewall and restarted it that made no difference also the ip address are in allowed list.
on laptop it has mcafrees but again this has the ip addresses allowed in it
so should not block anything.
again i find it confusing that sometimes i can see the mshome network on the laptop including the desktop icon even though i cannot access it and sometimes i cant and this is all without changeing anything i am aware of
again any help or anybody that has had a similar story and resolved it please help
cheers ;)

helicopter_red

helicopter_red

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi in addition to doing the stuff above i have changed my computer names and my network names and the results are identicle i can access laptop from desktop but not desktop from laptop
is there anything in the Belkin router switch firewall or is there something that needs to be allowed on the desktop
Also why is the network available sometimes and sometimes not on the laptop but always present on the desktop??????????
please somebody help me resolve this :tazz: ;) :idea:
thanks

Edited by helicopter_red, 04 June 2005 - 01:21 PM.

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts

If you are using Service Pack 2 then you need to enable file and print sharing in the windows service pack 2 firewall configuration.

Just double checking here.

helicopter_red

helicopter_red

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi windows firewall is turned of on both pc's

Can anybody explain where the windows network is (i persume that each computer has the settings and when turned on connects to another computer with the same settings)
if it is like this is there any settings that stop one computer seeing the network but allowing the other to see it and connect to it but sometimes allowing both to connect?
is there something really obvious or is it something to do with the windows software i.e. a hp specific win xp tailoured to that laptop???
Just running out of things to try ;) :tazz:

ong2lua

ong2lua

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
Hi! I'm having the same problem just exactly like you twice on 2 different networks. One network use a Netgear wireless router and the other network is a Belkin wireless router. I've tried many different ways like you to try to solve the problems, but not very sucessful. I use Windows Xp Home version. The traffic still goes one-way and not the other. I don't have any problem with Windows XP profressional when trying to connect and share files between the wireless laptop and the wired desktop. I think the problem lies within Windows Xp Home version and SP2..... I kept thinking about this problem day and night. I'll let you know if i can ever solve it.