Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't empty Recycle Bin

• Please log in to reply

Jackpine

Jackpine

• PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
The Recycle Bin on my desktop shows that there are files in it. However, when I open the bin to see what those files are, nothing shows up. When I select Empty Recycle Bin, the following question is asked: "Do I want to delete these 3 files?" I say OK, and then this message shows up: "Cannot remove folder: Df28. Acces is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use." I say OK, and the same message appears, this time referring to folder Dz20. I say OK again and there are no more messages, and the bin shows that there is something in it.

Why can't I empty the bin?
Why does it show there is something in it but on opening it, there is no indication of any files?
Why does it ask if I want to delete 3 files, but when trying to delete them only Df28 and Dz20 are mentioned? And what the heck are they?

I don't recall doing anything strange before this problem appeared.

Thanks for any help.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I have not yet managed to identify what those files may be.
I have a suspicion they are from Novell software.

Go to the recycle bin. Click the tools tab, click folder options, click the view tab
On the list under the advanced setting scroll down to Hidden files and folders.
Check that the circle - do not show - is the one with the check mark - if it is click to check -SHOW hidden files and folders.
Then scroll further to the entry - just two down Hide protected operating system files and UNCHECK it.
Then after agreeing the warning, click apply and OK.
Reboot the computer and now go to the recycle bin.
Do the files now show.

Have you or possibly someone else been altering those permissions etc.

Do you have Novell software on the computer

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
I don't have any Novell software.

I followed your instructions. After rebooting, I checked the recycle bin. It shows that there are files in the bin, but when I open the bin, there is nothing.

Only I use this computer and I don't recall doing anything to the permissions.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Go back to My Computer. Open C drive, do you now have a folder titled recycler, and system volume info and other folder and files that are normally shown.

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
Open Command Prompt as administrator then type this line exactly into the prompt window and press Enter:
dir /a /q /s \RECYCLER\*.* > \list.txt
When the prompt appears again, please post the list.txt file in your C: drive here.

You might want to try TFC. It will clean the Recycle Bin for you.

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
My C:\ drive shows the Recycler and System Volume Information folders. It always has.

I ran TFC and it cleared out about 5MB of files from various locations, but the Recycle Bin situation has not changed.

Here is the list.txt file:

Volume in drive C has no label.
Volume Serial Number is 5400-9B93

Directory of C:\RECYCLER

03/31/2011 12:20 AM <DIR> FIRSTBUILD\Robert .
03/31/2011 12:20 AM <DIR> BUILTIN\Administrators ..
03/31/2011 04:11 PM <DIR> FIRSTBUILD\Robert S-1-5-21-299502267-789336058-725345543-1004
0 File(s) 0 bytes

Directory of C:\RECYCLER\S-1-5-21-299502267-789336058-725345543-1004

03/31/2011 04:11 PM <DIR> FIRSTBUILD\Robert .
03/31/2011 04:11 PM <DIR> FIRSTBUILD\Robert ..
03/31/2011 04:11 PM 65 FIRSTBUILD\Robert desktop.ini
03/31/2011 04:11 PM 20 FIRSTBUILD\Robert INFO2
2 File(s) 85 bytes

Total Files Listed:
2 File(s) 85 bytes
5 Dir(s) 135,011,631,104 bytes free

Edited by Jackpine, 31 March 2011 - 02:22 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

My C:\ drive shows the Recycler and System Volume Information folders. It always has.

But it should NOT do.
It should only have shown those files after you did what I suggested, to see if that then showed the files in the recycle bin.
If your C drive when opened has always shown the system volume info and recycler then you did not have to do what I suggested on the view tab and check for show hidden files and folder etc.
YOU should NEVER run a system with hidden files and folders and protected operating system files shown.
It renders the whole system vunerable to your or someones errors and to may other porblems.

Pls confirm that you DO mean that you did not have to alter any settings I suggested as those files and folders you mention have always been visible.

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
The Recycler and System Volume Information folders were only visible after I had followed your instructions to make then "not hidden." I should have more correctly stated that they are always on my computer, but only visible after choosing to make them visible. I never run my computer with normally hidden folders in the "visible mode."

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I understand NOW I think, but I took your ALWAYS HAS to mean exactly that.
When did you notice this.
Do you have any other strange symptoms.
Pls check if you can access Windows Update.
Also pls check if you can access system restore and are restore avilable - I do not want you to try a restore point please, I just need to know if you can get there.
Pls check if you can access Safe Mode on F8.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 31 March 2011 - 03:09 PM.

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
I noticed this behaviour 3 or 4 days ago.

No other strange symptoms: no redirects, no popups, all programs work as designed, no slowness in response, etc.

My computer is configured to recieve Windows updates automatically. I review them every Tuesday and install as necessary. (High priority updates are always installed; medium priority updates are installed on a case-by-case basis.)

System restore is enabled and I can access it.

I can access Safe Mode.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Please click http://www.trendmicr.../HijackThis.exe to download and install HijackThis.

Run it and select Do a system scan and save a logfile from the Main Menu.

The log will be saved in Notepad. Copy and paste the log in your next reply.

IMPORTANT: Do not fix anything

Then please go back to HiJack and this time, click Main Menu at the bottom, then click Miscellaneous tools which is top right, then click Open uninstall Manager, click Save List.
Copy and paste the list please.

PLEASE copy and paste both as actual open lists, not an attachment which I have to open.

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
please be noted that hjt is a malware log, and it cannot be requested outside the malware forum.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
devper94

please be noted that hjt is a malware log]

Please note that I ONLY wish to use it to see his startup items, his BHO`s, his various other processes and his uninstall list.
I have used it before ON this site - for that purpose and no comment was passed.
See this link please.
http://www.geekstogo...w/page__st__105

Edited by Macboatmaster, 31 March 2011 - 07:57 PM.

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
So can I post these logs here?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Post it please.