Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't empty Recycle Bin

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
When you go to Kellys Korner you will see that my post 25 was actually taken from part of that solution..
I had no knowledge of the Norton aspect until Happyrock mentioned it -
If Kellys Korner fixes do not work. Happyrock has told me that it is possible to boot with Linux and empty the recycle bin through Linux, so that Windows is effectively sleeping.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
just having norton installed ever is a big NO-NO...
unfortunately using the Norton Removal Tool does not do anything for those protected files...
I'm afraid to tell you how to use UBCD4WIN to get rid of those files...if you were to screw up somehow you could break windows and depending on exactly what you did you would be required at the minimum to repair windows or if its a big screw up a complete reinstall of windows...

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
I don't really have any sound technical basis for saying this, but I suspect the entire Norton issue is a red herring. It was removed three years ago, possibly longer, and during that time I have never experienced the issue that I now have. How could this recycle bin thing surface now from having Norton installed 3-4 years ago?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I honestly do not know the answer to this or indeed the cause of it

However, when I posted at my post 25 I had already researched the issue as I mentioned on post 31 and I found this on Kellys Korner.
THAT PROMPTED MY QUESTION regarding the drive letters on your computer

Go to Start/Run and type in: CMD. At the prompt type in: cd\ [enter] then cd Recycled [enter] then dir [enter].
They will listed similar to this: Dc25.url, Dc26.lnk, etc. If Windows is installed on D:\, it will then be listed as Dd25, etc. The number represents the number of file deleted.

A hidden folder is creating on each volume that has the recycle bin enabled named Recycled. Any deleted files are moved to this folder and renamed to: C<original drive letter><number file deleted>.<original extension> and the original full name and path stored in a mapping file Info2. For example the file name: C:\www.dbknox_faq.com\index.html would become Dc1.html (if it was the first file deleted on the partition).

It seems to me, and I am NOT suggesting that it is cannot be some left over from Norton, Happyrock is far more experienced than I am, an amazing coincidence that you have drives lettered F and Z and you have files Df28 and Dz20 and as outlined above a file from C:\dbknox would become Dc1. So presumably a file from your drive f would become
Df and a file from drive Z would become Dz.

PLS NOTE THIS IS ONLY PART OF THE PROCEDURE FROM KellysKorner copied and pasted for your info

Edited by Macboatmaster, 02 April 2011 - 01:20 PM.

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
I think you are on to something here.

However, when i type cd Recycled, I get the message: "The system cannot find the path specified", and I am back at C:\>

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I tried what Macboatmaster wants you to do.
I got to the recycler but when I did the dir command it gave me info on the C drive and then file not found.

Change recycled to recycler as below

Go to Start/Run and type in: CMD. At the prompt type in: cd\ [enter] then cd Recycler [enter] then dir [enter].

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
I did as instructed. I can get to C:\RECYCLER>, but no files are shown. (I have temporarily turned off hidden files to show them).

When I go to Explore and check under the folder RECYCLER, the following two folders are shown (each name beside a recycle bin icon: S-1-5-21-299502267-789336058-725345543-500 and S-1-5-21-299502267-789336058-725345543-1004.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
when all else fails...
try this
click on Start...Run...type in command.com.... which opens the command line interface.

Run the following command exactly as typed... rd /S "\\?\C:\recycler\nprotect
press enter

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well I for one will be really interested to find out if it is that.
My suspicions were aroused when I found an article on this and then you confirmed you had F and Z drives.

What I am now concerned about is IF you have not been deleting, WHAT is it that is placing them there in the first place. -in the recycle bin.

S-1-5-21-299502267-789336058-725345543-500
S-1-5-21-299502267-789336058-725345543-1004
Which is what you found on F and Z drive., when I asked you to look at the hidden recycler folder.

As soon as you have finsihed on that procedure from Happyrock and the Kellys

Unless the Moderator rshaffer61 OR Happyrock have any objections, or perhaps I should say other ideas I think you should go
to this link - and obtain a clean bill of health from an expert in the Malware forum. - as I thought in my post 23.
http://www.geekstogo...uide-t2852.html
and follow carefully the instructions.
Please be patient they are extremely busy.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 02 April 2011 - 03:42 PM.

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
Result: The system cannot find the file specified.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I still am of the opinion that the files are from F and Z drives..
I notice you have Windows Washer - - it has been reported that it can corrupt the recycle bin but that was another Windows Washer program, from another provider I see yours is from Webroot. -- I have to admit I am not certain that this is the issue in your case.

Pls try this
To fix this problem, follow these steps to regenerate the Recycle Bin folder by using the command prompt
  • Open a command prompt - on an Administrator account of course..

Windows XP
    rd /s C:\recycler
    Note For hard drives with other letters, substitute C: for the desired hard drive letter.
  • Close the Command Prompt window.
  • Right-click an empty area of the desktop and then click Refresh.

Note The Recycle Bin should be empty now. If not, repeat these steps for any other hard drive letter that you have.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 02 April 2011 - 05:40 PM.

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
Problem still exists, but I think you are right about the files being on F and Z drive.

I did as asked for each drive C, F and Z. (Hidden files showning.)

For C drive, here are the messages that appeared:

C:\recycler\S-1-5-~1\Dc1.url - Access is denied.
C:\recycler\S-1-5-~1\Dc2.url - Access is denied.
C:\recycler\S-1-5-~1\Dc4.url - Access is denied.

For F drive:

F:\recycler\S-1-5-~1\Df30 - Access is denied.

For Z drive:

Z:\recycler\S-1-5-~1\Dz72 - Access is denied.
Z:\recycler\S-1-5-~1\Dz73 - Access is denied.

By the way, what is the Windows XP line for in your instruction?

Edited by Jackpine, 02 April 2011 - 05:19 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
It was a copy and paste so the original included the instructions for XP, Vista and 7.

So those 3 in C are from a web site - hence url

Are you running that cmd as an administrator.
I presume with your obvious knowledge the answer is YES.

I recommend as per the latter part of my post 39.

Would you kindly provide a link to this thread in your post in the Malware forum. It makes matters so much easier for them in the Malware forum.

I know that all who have been involved will monitor with interest.
Good Luck and please do let us know the result.
Coming back here of course if you need to.

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
Yes, I did run cmd as administrator.

I will do as you suggest and post this in the Malware forum, and provide a link to this thread.

Thank you to all for your help and interest. It is appreciated.

I am going outside now to enjoy the spring air for a while, and will post either later this evening or tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
As I said Good Luck.
If you happen to solve the problem, after the Malware expert has given you a clean bill of health
Please would you post the solution.on this thread.