Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Why Can't I Use The Full Potential of My Quad Core?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

TeachPower

TeachPower

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
Hello everybody. Long time no see.

Can somebody please help me find out why I am unable to use the full potential of my Core 2 Quad 6600 2.4 ghz core? I came to find out that after I installed CoD: Black Ops on my computer it doesn't want to load up correctly because it apparently thinks I have a single core PC. I thought it was a simple fix as I haven't updated/flashed my BIOS since I built my machine about 2 years ago. I emailed my MB manufacturer (XFX) and they told me my motherboard was made after the quad core is able to use it. They nicely gave me a link to the correct .ISO file to burn to CD and flash my BIOS. I flashed/updated my BIOS successfully with the file they told me and still no apparent multi-core functionality. I also tried to go to TASK MANAGER and see if I see 4 graphs under PERFORMANCE tab and nothing, even after clicking off "One Graph per CPU" under VIEW tab and nothing, and also not able to right click a process and have the option of SET AFFINITY. My BIOS correctly identifies my CPU as a "Core 2 Quad 6600 2.4 ghz" under the SYSTEM INFORMATION in BIOS, so why this problem?!

Please somebody help me understand what is the problem and how to fix it. I want my PC to see and use my Quad core... not pay money to still use a single core. Thank you and much appreciated for all help and insights.

My specs on my computer are
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad 6600 2.4 ghz
Motherboard: XFX 630i 7150
RAM 4 gigs
Video: GeForce GT 430 1 gig

Edited by TeachPower, 29 March 2011 - 06:36 PM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Could be that CoD does not take advantage of more than 2 cores.
Have a look at the post, > http://www.codinghor...-quad-core.html

This is just one list I found, >
http://forums.whirlp...archive/1263103

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Could be that CoD does not take advantage of more than 2 cores.

Right! I suspect your system is using the 4 cores just fine. But just because you have 4 cores, that does not mean EVERY program will use all of them. However, Windows does, and when Windows uses all cores, over all computer performance benefits.

Use CPUz to verify your cores are running.

TeachPower

TeachPower

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Here is a screenshot of my machine by CPU-z. Please somebody help me get my machine to recognize and use all 4 cores.

Posted Image

Edited by TeachPower, 30 March 2011 - 12:32 PM.

TeachPower

TeachPower

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Just talked to the same tech at XFX and I told him what you all were saying about my problem. He noted especially what Baltboy said about the multiACPI. He had me go to Update Driver > No Not This Time > Install from a list or specified location > Don't Search I will choose the driver to install. In that window he said it should have listed Multiprocessor ACPI as a choice and it wasn't there. He then told me to click "Have Disk" and locate the .DLL file called HALMACPI.DLL. We found it but it wouldn't let me click it as an applicable file to use for an update. He then had me locate the HAL.INF file in the INF folder under windows, but even after double clicking that it still didn't add to the list of options Mutliprocessor ACPI. His final solution he said was to do a Windows Repair and then hit F7 somewhere along the process and "force" the HAL insertion. Here is the link.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299340

Can somebody please help I am so confused and frustrated.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Hmmm, it shows you are only running with 1 core. That is not right. Look in msconfig under the Boot tab > Advanced - nothing should be checked.

You might look in the BIOS Setup Menu for an any options that have been disabled pertaining to this.

TeachPower

TeachPower

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
OK I am at the point where I think I am going to be buying a new motherboard to try this out... see if its the motherboard or the chip? My only question is, when I pull all the components out of the computer, install the motherboard, and connect them back to the new board, will any of the components need to be configured to the new board, or will they plug and play and boot up like normal? I am thinking they will boot up like normal. If they boot up like normal and the problem of not recognizing the Quad Core was my old motherboard, will the new motherboard see and use the Quad Core as long as it is Quad Core ready?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
A new motherboard brings in several complications. A motherboard is not one device. It is many hardware devices integrated into one big "main" or "mother" board. If you simply try to move your hard drive over, Windows will not find the correct drivers. It may stumble along and recover with generic drivers until you install the new ones. But it may choke and you lose everything.

Also, what type Windows license do you have? Note if OEM/System Builders, or an Upgrade License, it is NOT transferable to a new motherboard because a new motherboard constitutes a new computer. The ONLY exception is if you replace the motherboard as part of a repair action and with the identical brand and model number (or replacement recommended by original maker if board no longer in production). You cannot "upgrade" a motherboard and use the same OEM/System Builders or Upgrade licenses. Only full Retail licenses are transferable.

How old is the CPU and motherboard? They may have 3 year warranties. My first inclination would be the CPU, then BIOS, then motherboard. That said, I did see where a fresh install of Windows fixed this for one person with a quad.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
This post refers to Core Duo but may put you on the right track.

> http://www.tomshardw...0-core-disabled

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Continued here.