Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

laptop upgrade

• Please log in to reply

Cl455icCh4o5

Cl455icCh4o5

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I'm not exactly a novice in computer repair and I'd like to upgrade the gpu in my acer 5535 laptop.
I know this would involve replacing the entire motherboard as its an intergrated gpu.
What I'd like to know is what boards are compatible with this chassis and what gpu's they have???
I know alot of people will say buy another laptop but with cheap second hand boards available for less than £100
it seems like a stupid thing to do if I can simply upgrade.
I've asked acer directly but their technical department have no ideas at all? I've even asked the spares department
thinking they may have a better idea but nothing.#
any help or advice would be greatly apreciated

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You cannot upgrade graphics cards in laptops.
Also every unit is different so you will never get another board in that chassis, at least not without making it look like a dog's dinner.

The best thing to do if you want an upgrade on a laptop for better graphic capabilities is to replace the laptop.

Sorry.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
The problem is that while it might look like the same chassis, different models are completely different inside as well. i.e. screw hole positions are all wrong etc... So I wouldn't count on finding anything else that is an exact fit to be an upgrade.

I've worked on quite a few laptops in my time, include Acer, I personally used to own the 5315 and so does my friend. Through my work I obtained a much better model (don't remember exact number) that had died, the customer said he didn't care, we could keep it for parts or recycling and I sold him a new one. I took a good look at it and thought it looked pretty much the same as mine from the outside, but once I started stripping them down to upgrade mine... well I didn't get very far. But I did end up swapping CPU over, but I couldn't even have swapped the heatsink/fan over as it was a completely different design.

A lot of wasted hours that day but I think you get the drift. And at the end of the day... CPU upgrade! But that was about it.