Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

C Cleaner Version 3.,04

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
I have been having an issue with C Cleaner. Notwithstanding that I have received indication of newer version to be installed, I thought I would look into this. When cleaning C Cleaner will indicate for instance 275.00 megs to be removed, but when i do the cleaning it will only clean for example 75.00 megs or even less. It seems to clean all the amount indicated on the analysis when the numbers are small.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
The first and possibly most important matter is, depending on your level of knowledge of CCleaner

GeekstoGo no longer recommends this cleaner.
There are safer options available.
If you are going to use it on no account should you allow it to clean the registry etc.

I feel sure your answer lies in its settings, as it will by default only remove temp files that uou have not acessed during the last 48hrs., similar to xp`s own diskclean up.
See this
http://www.piriform....leaner-settings

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
So I take it you are advising me to forget about CCleaner and just use the windows Disk Cleanup(Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Cleanup)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What exactly are you wanting to remove?

garybear

garybear

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
Hello waynf!!
I have been using CCleaner for 4or 5 years. All my friends use CCleaner. I use all the tools it offers. I have never had CC cause me one problem. I have never heard one story from anyone saying that they couldn't boot up after using CC. CC makes a back up of what it removes. If you can boot up, you can restore any thing CC deleted. You should have a back image of your OS any time you make changes to your PC. If you have a back up image of your OS,on a external USB, you can recover from any thing, even a hard ware failure.
I want just one legitimate story from someone that used CC and wasn't able to boot their PC. Then I'll get on my stump and start telling everyone how bad it is. Piriform Ltd. not only has CC, it also has Recuna(recovering files)Defragger and Speccy. I have them all and I love them. They are a well know and trusted programer of software. GTG doesn't support CC because it has a registry cleaner feature. I have no comment about any program that cleans the registry, but their is always two sides to every story. I will just say I have a 7 year old Dell 3000 that runs as smooth as silk and I keep it cleaned up and tuned up.
Thank you.
PS You can kind a agree to disagree on GTG :D :D

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
garybear.

I advised you the other day on another thread regarding CCleaner that whilst it was in itself an excellent program, GeektoGo NO LONGER recommends its use, mainly due to the fact that it includes a registry cleaning aspect and also because there are far safer, more user friendly utilities on offer.
TFC by Old Timer from GeekstoGo
ATF Cleaner from Atribune
and a number of others depending on what it is that needs cleaning.

You persisted on that thread and indeed since then on others to praise the use of various programs incorporating regsitry cleaning aspects or stand alone registry cleaners.

WHAT YOU DO with your computer is as I told you on the other thread UP TO YOU.

You persisted to such extent on the other thread that SARI Admin staff posted this

I want to make something clear here. First, you don't need to apologize constantly - it's normal for threads to veer off-topic as a discussion evolves. However, it's been said before by me, and now emphasized by Macboatmaster, that we do not advise registry cleaners, and I do wish you would stop bringing it up. What you choose to run is your business, but linking to a thread at another forum about this topic, when we've already provided our official position, is pointless. Rather than beating a dead horse, I'm going to ask you flat out to stop the discussion on this issue. You may agree to disagree, but in this case, that means that you've been told our position on the issue, so there is no point in discussing it further.

You are now posting the same again., albeit without the link
THE OP is looking for help on a problem, he is NOT with respect looking for your opinion on the registry aspect of CCleaner.
Please DO NOT keep on posting such.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 31 March 2011 - 03:10 PM.

garybear

garybear

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
Hello Sir!! With all due respect sir, I did not say I supported any registry cleaner. I know perfectly well how GTG feels about them. I also said in my post that GTG does not support CCleaner because it has a registry cleaner I said I use Piriform programs and have for years and never had a problem. I did not recommend any feature of CCleaner. I said I use them all. Here is your quote below about CCleaner and I agree 100%. I like CCleaner because it is more than just a file cleaner. Make this perfectly clear I do not recommend CCleaners Registry cleaner or any other Regestry clenner. If my post seemed to say different, then I apologize to GTG

I advised you the other day on another thread regarding CCleaner that whilst it was in itself an excellent program, GeektoGo NO LONGER recommends its use, mainly due to the fact that it includes a registry cleaning aspect and also because there are far safer, more user friendly utilities on offer.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
just to throw in my 2 cents worth...one thing that ccleaner does is remove index.dat files that the others leave...they can total over a half gig in systems that have never run it...
but the powers that be don't want it recommended because of the registry tool...
I would advise you to run the cleaner but nothing else...

garybear

garybear

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

just to throw in my 2 cents worth...one thing that ccleaner does is remove index.dat files that the others leave...they can total over a half gig in systems that have never run it...
but the powers that be don't want it recommended because of the registry tool...

Hello Sir!! I just checked my options and I don't have Index dat checked. I also don't have Old Prefetch checked. Do you recommend both to be checked.
Thank you!!
PS. TFC freezes my PC and won't reboot. I have posted that in other threads and I haven't found the cure.

Edited by garybear, 31 March 2011 - 04:13 PM.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Hello Sir!! With all due respect sir, I did not say I supported any registry cleaner. I know perfectly well how GTG feels about them. I also said in my post that GTG does not support CCleaner because it has a registry cleaner I said I use Piriform programs and have for years and never had a problem. I did not recommend any feature of CCleaner. I said I use them all. Here is your quote below about CCleaner and I agree 100%. I like CCleaner because it is more than just a file cleaner. Make this perfectly clear I do not recommend CCleaners Registry cleaner or any other Regestry clenner. If my post seemed to say different, then I apologize to GTG

Sir, you are not getting the point here.
ONE, the OP was asking for help, but you just want to argue.
Two, WE have been asked not to recommend CCLEANER.
Three, you have already been asked to stop argueing so you are disrespecting Sari by continueing.
No, I can not spell.
I agree with Happyrock, and use the product on my own machine, but out of respect for the forum I do not recommend its use on SOME ONE ELSE'S COMPUTER.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK this has gone on to long. Lets clarify this so there is no misunderstanding anymore.
Happyrock is correct when he said:

The recommendation to use CCleaner without the use of the registry cleaner is fine.
Staff of GTG DO NOT reccomend any registry cleaner at all.
I suggest we stick to the topic that waynf has started and follow Happyrock's suggestion on what to run with the program.
The subject of any registry cleaner is now stopped or I will notify the powers to be to take care of the problem.