Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PC Keeps crashing while on Facebook

• Please log in to reply

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if you have any errors ...you must replace the RAM or you will continue to have random crashes/hangs

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
islandcat ...please start your own topic...trying to help several different people in one thread will only cause problems

islandcat

islandcat

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
You know I gotta say is usually while playing games on facebook ,hmmmm and you the mouse thing brings back a memory, so is it possible if your mouse is defective that it can shut your computer down?

Moose78

Moose78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
[quote name='happyrock' timestamp='1302130324' post='1992107']
if you have any errors ...you must replace the RAM or you will continue to have random crashes/hangs
[/quote]

I probably won't have an opportunity to do anymore extensive testing of the ram to see which stick(s) are bad until this weekend.
[quote name='happyrock' timestamp='1302130545' post='1992108']

Edited by Moose78, 09 April 2011 - 01:58 PM.

Moose78

Moose78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Ok, I've not checked out the memory yet, but I did finally get my crash dumps working properly. Below is the report of today's crash:

Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Mon 5/9/2011 7:49:24 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini050911-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nv4_disp.dll (nv4_disp+0xBFA52)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFFBD0D1A52, 0xFFFFFFFFB2417304, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\nv4_disp.dll
product: NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display driver, Version 266.58
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display driver, Version 266.58
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nv4_disp.dll (NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display driver, Version 266.58 , NVIDIA Corporation).
Google query: nv4_disp.dll NVIDIA Corporation KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
its pointless to do anything else until you get the bad stick of ram replaced...
with the bad stick your going to experience random issues

Moose78

Moose78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Even though every time it has crashed in the past, it lists something about nv4_disp.dll???

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I don't know why your reluctant to replace the bad ram

try Downloading &nd Install The Latest Nvidia Driver...
but with a bad stick of ram you are going to have a different crash listing something else

Moose78

Moose78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
I'm not reluctant to replace the bad ram at all, I just thought that little bit if info from the crash log would be useful was all.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
ram errors will be totally random ...hard to duplicate...can show as a slow system to one that won't boot to programs crashing or hangin...
the only fix is to replace the ram

Advertisements

Moose78

Moose78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Just installed 4 new sticks this evening (had mismatched brands- 2 of one kind and 2 of another) so I decided since I was going to have to change one, to jsut go ahead and do all four as a matched set. I was unaware of that causing issues prior to this. I'll see how it does over the next couple days and reply back if anything happens.

Moose78

Moose78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Well, new ram, same issue:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Crash Dump Analysis
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash dumps are disabled for your computer.

On Mon 5/9/2011 7:49:24 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini050911-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nv4_disp.dll (nv4_disp+0xBFA52)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFFBD0D1A52, 0xFFFFFFFFB2417304, 0x0)
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\nv4_disp.dll
product: NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display driver, Version 266.58
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display driver, Version 266.58
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nv4_disp.dll (NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display driver, Version 266.58 , NVIDIA Corporation).
Google query: nv4_disp.dll NVIDIA Corporation KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

On Sun 4/10/2011 10:21:03 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini041011-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x74C34)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFF8054BC34, 0xFFFFFFFFA75CB974, 0x0)
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

Conclusion

2 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. A third party driver has been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

nv4_disp.dll (NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display driver, Version 266.58 , NVIDIA Corporation)

If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination the errors that have been reported for these drivers and include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions from users who have been experiencing similar problems.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

-----------------------------------------------

Drivers are also up to date:

NVIDIA Driver Downloads

Initializing/Installing Component...

If you use a pop-up blocker:
You may need to disable it to use this service.

If you are using Internet Explorer on Windows XP with SP2 installed or Windows Vista:
Step 1:
Click on the 'Information Bar' above (usually a pale yellow bar just below your browser's URL line).

Step 2:
Click on 'Install ActiveX Control' from the drop-down menu.

Step 3:
Click on the 'install' button.

Initializing/Installing Component...

If you use a pop-up blocker:
You may need to disable it to use this service.

If you are using Firefox:
Click on the 'Yes' button.

Scanning System...
Click here if the scan did not complete.
We're sorry, the NVIDIA Smart Scan does not support your system at this time.

Supported operating systems: Microsoft Windows 98, 98SE, ME, 2000, XP, 2003, Media Center, and Windows Vista.

Supported browsers: Internet Explorer, Firefox & Netscape.

Product Current
Installed Driver Latest Driver
Update
NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 266.58 Your PC currently has the latest driver installed for your GPU. No driver update is necessary at this time.

Edited by Moose78, 14 April 2011 - 08:17 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try running your computer in safe mode with networking...if you don't crash its a driver...probably the video driver...

go here and download Everest Home Edition 1.51...launch it and click on the + beside motherboard...click on speed...get a screenshot and post it and one of your motherboard

for heat and voltage...
click on the + beside computer...click on sensor...get a screenshot and post it for us...

NOTE for those of you that have other newer versions of EVEREST HOME ...I highly recommend you get version 1.51
it has a software section that include what versions of the software you have installed and all the updates/patches you have installed that the newer versions of Everest do not have...

Moose78

Moose78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Posted Image

Posted Image

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts